Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a fan of De Boer think he's too much of a risk. We need a proven winner after the last two seasons of dross, Jose, Mancini, Emery, Hiddink etc. Make a statement of intent.

This is a fantastic first post mate!

Can you give me a little more info on Emery (or anyone else for that matter feel free to chip in). My concerns with him are that he appears to be a cup manager. He has excelled in the Europa league but how has he done in the league? Our current manager appears to be a bit of a cup manager too (perhaps not to the same level) and I think we need a bit more consistency. Do you think Emery can do that? How does he work with younger players? How similar is he to Potch from Spurs?

I like some of the names their. I'd throw in Tuchel to the list too. Ambitious but would be a huge statement of intent.

Thanks mate, appreciate it. Feel welcomed already.

Emery, going from memory here, two 3rd place finishes and 6th place finish with Valencia, two consecutive 5th place finishes with Sevilla, currently 7th. Personally think that's decent with 2 Europa League wins and coping with competing in Europe each season for a guy in his mid 40's. In the Cope Del Rey final this season vs Barca. I worry about his lack of English and our attractiveness to him but I don't think by any means he is out of our range if we went about it in a professional manner, and put resources at his disposal (over to you, Mr. Moshiri). Think we would need a British assistant though to ease any transition. Also worth noting that the scout at Sevilla, Monchi, is hugely influential there in a Director of Football-esque role and it may be more of a challenge to Emery to have "all-round" charge at a club, including responsibility for transfers.

They look good for semi finals of Europa again and if the RS prevail over Dortmund, may be our best hope of preventing that lot winning it. Just feel he might then think he has hit a plateau at Sevilla. If we were to deny the RS in Europe, he would come with immediate goodwill needless to say :)

Tuchel would be fantastic, just feel he is at the beginning of something at Dortmund and there is enough to suggest there is a Bundesliga title in it for him over a 4-5 year cycle there.

But we don't sell our players like Southampton do
That could be one thing Koeman might look at and if Southampton sell again this summer it may influence him. Plus Moshiri could also have a say if he becomes one of our targets. We're looking at a bottom half finish now and Southampton are pushing for Europa League. We may still get into Europa if we win the FA Cup. It'll all go into the mix. But, and its just my opinion, I don't think its so simplistic to just approach Southampton and expect them to let him go, or for Koeman to want to force a move to become our manager because we're Everton.

Scarily I think for many it has got to the stage where almost anyone would do but Roberto. You know the blokes time is up when it reaches that stage.

This is a fantastic first post mate!

Can you give me a little more info on Emery (or anyone else for that matter feel free to chip in). My concerns with him are that he appears to be a cup manager. He has excelled in the Europa league but how has he done in the league? Our current manager appears to be a bit of a cup manager too (perhaps not to the same level) and I think we need a bit more consistency. Do you think Emery can do that? How does he work with younger players? How similar is he to Potch from Spurs?

I like some of the names their. I'd throw in Tuchel to the list too. Ambitious but would be a huge statement of intent.

Failed really badly in Russia mate and doesn't speak any English either - lasted less than 6 months at Spartak...

Not a fan of De Boer think he's too much of a risk. We need a proven winner after the last two seasons of dross, Jose, Mancini, Emery, Hiddink etc. Make a statement of intent.

Well with all due respect De Boer has won and retained his domestic league championship. Only Mourinho on the above list have done that. Emery has never won his domestic league.

Thats not to say they are not good managers but De Boer would surely fit the category of winner?

Of the above only really Emery fits the profile of what I think would benefit us. IE a younger manager who can develop players. Mourinho should be given consideration not because he's a perfect fit, but because he is just so good he out does his difficulties. I am not sure the same goes for Mancini or Hiddink.

Failed really badly in Russia mate and doesn't speak any English either - lasted less than 6 months at Spartak...

Yes, and I should have acknowledged that in my subsequent reply on him mate, thanks for including this. It's a blackmark on his record, albeit in a league/environment that is not the easiest to make your way in. Only Zenit seem to have got the art of integrating non Russian managers successfully.

Yes, and I should have acknowledged that in my subsequent reply on him mate, thanks for including this. It's a blackmark on his record, albeit in a league/environment that is not the easiest to make your way in. Only Zenit seem to have got the art of integrating non Russian managers successfully.

Plus it really is a utterly different culture to any western european ones as well, not something that bothers me on his record tbh - the language barrier is a concern and really the only one i do have - english managers abroad have shown how badly that can impact the ability to do the job - Moyes and Neville being recent examples

Unai Emery for me too. Has won trophies. Is passionate but not overly controlling like Jose for example (mourinho for me is a 100% no). You will get intensity from his teams and they will always be well prepared.

The point on him having somebody above him managing signings is a good one though. Unlikely to be the same here unless they make a structural change under Moshiri.

Do people know for sure he has no English?

....reluctantly accepting Martinez is not going to turn this around in time to save himself. I don't expect us to make the final with the current zombie mode we are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back