Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 things that will go against us getting Jose are 1. He'll most likely end up at Utd as they aint pipping City for 4th, and 2. Moshiri will no doubt be taking advice from Kenwright and I don't think Bill would be a fan of Mourinho's don't give a F personality.

I would love us to get him but can't see it so don't get your hopes up. Mancini is the one for me, think he would have us certainly in the top 6 with this squad and a big transfer kitty.

They did a bit on the Sunday supp about that before mate, and noticably all 3 journo's where very very retiscent to say he was gonna end up their now, one out right said he won't, another of nthe three said 'not this year', the others only answer was that normally if they had it this wrong the club would have rang them and told them to stop printing stuff that makes them lok like idiots.

A noticable change in the way they have been about it

Hi All, have posted in new signings, just thought this would be a good thread to get stuck in with! Lots of names swirling around in my head as to who could/would inherit the job post Martinez. Here are the candidates in my mind

Unai Emery - 2 Europa League wins, going for a 3rd, solid experience in one of the world's top league, hugely admire the intensity of his sides and insistence on effort, lack of English a problem though and could we attract him?

Laurent Blanc - might be an outside possibility if PSG decided on a 'bigger' name and Mourinho had to pursue options outside of the Premier League. (and ended up at PSG). Will have gained great experience at PSG, but was particularly impressed with his time at Bordeaux.

Ronald De Boer - hugely impressive pedigree as a player which will carry weight, would not be against such an appointment, risky in the sense it is difficult to judge his abilities based solely on the Eredivisie.

Phillip Cocu - as above, if it came to a straight choice between De Boer and Cocu for the job, I think Cocu edges it, impressed with PSV in the Champions League, Ajax from what I have seen of them in Champions/Europa League, have been bang average.

José Mourinho - feel like I have to include him on the list though it would at least appear that he is Utd bound. Would guarantee lots of media attention on EFC and such an appointment would signal a huge change in attitude/approach at EFC. Would likely be a short lived season or two appointment but if he delivered silverware it would be absolutely worth the ride. Have to think he would see EFC as a step down though.

Manuel Pellegrini - would be a potentially straightforward, quick appointment of a man well settled here. May be better suited to EFC than MCFC as done brilliantly in the underdog role at Villarreal and Malaga. Worry he may see us as a consolation prize post City or would see us as an excellent opportunity to prove / re-confirm his credentials?

Finally, a "leftfield" candidate, highly unlikely to be considered but including him as I have followed his career and find him an interesting guy;

Leonardo Jardim - performed very solidly at Braga and Sporting Lisbon in Portugal, sacked controversially at Olympiakos, succeeded Ranieri at Monaco, notable away victory at Arsenal in last season's champions league, between Monaco and Lyon for 2nd place in Ligue 1 this season. Again difficult to judge due to the runaway dominance of PSG but has been consistent at Monaco and has been let down by the owner there, with Falcao and James Rodriguez sold without the money being reinvested. Would appeal more to those who prefer solidity and organisation over flair and sexy football, but an upcoming manager worth keeping an eye on.

If I had a magic wand Diego Simeone would be at Goodison, what a manager. If the Semi Final is to be Martinez' watershed and life support is switched off, then both for his sake and the clubs I hope action is taken to remove him in the immediate week afterwards. There is no risk with an interim / caretaker appointment for the remaining games, and we need a successor at the helm as a matter of urgency to deal with / modify pre-season preparations, and handle the huge task of incoming and outgoing transfers. Not saying we make a hasty appointment by any means, but I hope that contingency work in that regard is going on even now, to get the right / best man.

Not a bad first post mate

And Martinez admits losing the attacking midfielder was a blow, as he had been so influential in the first half.

"He had a knock and he couldn't really stretch his legs in the second half," the Spanish boss said. "That was a real disappointment as I thought he looked really fresh.

"He created a real problem to the Watford defence, and I don't think they could cope with his movement and his understanding of the space.”

Martinez speaking about Ross Barkley yesterday, yeah the same Barkley who was utterly anonomous until taken off, the bloke is taking it to new levels of delusion

When you look at De Boer changing things depending on the opposition what opposition and results are you referring to? As they should be winning every game in their league with their resources.

Cocu on th other hand (and i may be wrong) is playing more attractive attacking possession based football within a tight budget compared to Ajax and could be the league champions again this season in his second year.

For me Cocu is a far superior manager in Europe as well.

There is an interesting comparison there. I don't think Ajax's budget is that superior to others and prior to De Boer going there they had not won the league for a while. Ajax's budget was always comparable to ours, and may be less now but he has always produced decent teams.

In general Holland is a good league for us to look for managers from. They have lots of young players and have to sell players and replace them consistently. Anyone who has shown themselves competent at this will be quite suited to a club like Everton.

In all honesty De Boers record in Europe is more consistent over the years than Cocu (though he has outperformed him this year). I remember them winning against City one year. They are normally competitive.

I do understand what you are saying about Cocu having less money but I think De Boer having more is a strength. What it has meant is that they don't have to sell players quite as early and this is more in tune with what it would be like for Everton.

What tips me towards De Boer is his consistency over a pro-longed period and also how he has a winning mentality. I think alongside the skills we have noted from Holland, (i.e. developing players from their own academy, recruitment and development of younger players and a distinctive playing style) De Boer has also demonstrated the ability cope with the pressure of being expected to win and delivered.

That over the last 10 years has been Everton's biggest achilles heel. Being able to cope with the expectancy of having a side that can challenge to win things. I had hoped Martinez could overcome this but that is ebbing away. I am not sure he'd have the consistency to deliver year on year and I think De Boer is our best bet.

I would be happy with either De Boer or Cocu. De Boer is close to top of my list (only behind Tuchel) and Cocu I would put alongside AVB or Emery who I would be very happy to have. I think De Boer just has the edge of consistency over Cocu though.

2 things that will go against us getting Jose are 1. He'll most likely end up at Utd as they aint pipping City for 4th, and 2. Moshiri will no doubt be taking advice from Kenwright and I don't think Bill would be a fan of Mourinho's don't give a F personality.

I would love us to get him but can't see it so don't get your hopes up. Mancini is the one for me, think he would have us certainly in the top 6 with this squad and a big transfer kitty.

I don't believe that a billionaire whom has widely been acknowledged as having David dein as a reference point of sorts regarding football will be using bill's advice yes he may listen but I don't believe it will be a major factor certainly once he exercises his right to purchase the remaining shares.

Hi All, have posted in new signings, just thought this would be a good thread to get stuck in with! Lots of names swirling around in my head as to who could/would inherit the job post Martinez. Here are the candidates in my mind

Unai Emery - 2 Europa League wins, going for a 3rd, solid experience in one of the world's top league, hugely admire the intensity of his sides and insistence on effort, lack of English a problem though and could we attract him?

Laurent Blanc - might be an outside possibility if PSG decided on a 'bigger' name and Mourinho had to pursue options outside of the Premier League. (and ended up at PSG). Will have gained great experience at PSG, but was particularly impressed with his time at Bordeaux.

Ronald De Boer - hugely impressive pedigree as a player which will carry weight, would not be against such an appointment, risky in the sense it is difficult to judge his abilities based solely on the Eredivisie.

Phillip Cocu - as above, if it came to a straight choice between De Boer and Cocu for the job, I think Cocu edges it, impressed with PSV in the Champions League, Ajax from what I have seen of them in Champions/Europa League, have been bang average.

José Mourinho - feel like I have to include him on the list though it would at least appear that he is Utd bound. Would guarantee lots of media attention on EFC and such an appointment would signal a huge change in attitude/approach at EFC. Would likely be a short lived season or two appointment but if he delivered silverware it would be absolutely worth the ride. Have to think he would see EFC as a step down though.

Manuel Pellegrini - would be a potentially straightforward, quick appointment of a man well settled here. May be better suited to EFC than MCFC as done brilliantly in the underdog role at Villarreal and Malaga. Worry he may see us as a consolation prize post City or would see us as an excellent opportunity to prove / re-confirm his credentials?

Finally, a "leftfield" candidate, highly unlikely to be considered but including him as I have followed his career and find him an interesting guy;

Leonardo Jardim - performed very solidly at Braga and Sporting Lisbon in Portugal, sacked controversially at Olympiakos, succeeded Ranieri at Monaco, notable away victory at Arsenal in last season's champions league, between Monaco and Lyon for 2nd place in Ligue 1 this season. Again difficult to judge due to the runaway dominance of PSG but has been consistent at Monaco and has been let down by the owner there, with Falcao and James Rodriguez sold without the money being reinvested. Would appeal more to those who prefer solidity and organisation over flair and sexy football, but an upcoming manager worth keeping an eye on.

If I had a magic wand Diego Simeone would be at Goodison, what a manager. If the Semi Final is to be Martinez' watershed and life support is switched off, then both for his sake and the clubs I hope action is taken to remove him in the immediate week afterwards. There is no risk with an interim / caretaker appointment for the remaining games, and we need a successor at the helm as a matter of urgency to deal with / modify pre-season preparations, and handle the huge task of incoming and outgoing transfers. Not saying we make a hasty appointment by any means, but I hope that contingency work in that regard is going on even now, to get the right / best man.

Good post. I like the sound of Emery. I think he was on West Ham's list before they got Bilic, but he turned them down. Perhaps he'd be up for a new challenge this summer.

Simeone would be absolutely boss! We can dream aye

There is an interesting comparison there. I don't think Ajax's budget is that superior to others and prior to De Boer going there they had not won the league for a while. Ajax's budget was always comparable to ours, and may be less now but he has always produced decent teams.

In general Holland is a good league for us to look for managers from. They have lots of young players and have to sell players and replace them consistently. Anyone who has shown themselves competent at this will be quite suited to a club like Everton.

In all honesty De Boers record in Europe is more consistent over the years than Cocu (though he has outperformed him this year). I remember them winning against City one year. They are normally competitive.

I do understand what you are saying about Cocu having less money but I think De Boer having more is a strength. What it has meant is that they don't have to sell players quite as early and this is more in tune with what it would be like for Everton.

What tips me towards De Boer is his consistency over a pro-longed period and also how he has a winning mentality. I think alongside the skills we have noted from Holland, (i.e. developing players from their own academy, recruitment and development of younger players and a distinctive playing style) De Boer has also demonstrated the ability cope with the pressure of being expected to win and delivered.

That over the last 10 years has been Everton's biggest achilles heel. Being able to cope with the expectancy of having a side that can challenge to win things. I had hoped Martinez could overcome this but that is ebbing away. I am not sure he'd have the consistency to deliver year on year and I think De Boer is our best bet.

I would be happy with either De Boer or Cocu. De Boer is close to top of my list (only behind Tuchel) and Cocu I would put alongside AVB or Emery who I would be very happy to have. I think De Boer just has the edge of consistency over Cocu though.
Hasn't de boer played at Rangers. Appreciate this is not England but living & working in Scotland still offers some plus points for the transition to living & working here it may help him settle into things very quickly

Good write up mate. Always nice to see someone suggest a different manager from the norm, most of us are clueless really haha

This is a fantastic first post mate!

Can you give me a little more info on Emery (or anyone else for that matter feel free to chip in). My concerns with him are that he appears to be a cup manager. He has excelled in the Europa league but how has he done in the league? Our current manager appears to be a bit of a cup manager too (perhaps not to the same level) and I think we need a bit more consistency. Do you think Emery can do that? How does he work with younger players? How similar is he to Potch from Spurs?

I like some of the names their. I'd throw in Tuchel to the list too. Ambitious but would be a huge statement of intent.

Hasn't de boer played at Rangers. Appreciate this is not England but living & working in Scotland still offers some plus points for the transition to living & working here it may help him settle into things very quickly

Yes he has, both Cocu & De Boer are top name players. While it is only a small factor I do think it holds some weight when trying to recruit players. De Boers understanding of Britain is also a positive in his favour.

I don't believe that a billionaire whom has widely been acknowledged as having David dein as a reference point of sorts regarding football will be using bill's advice yes he may listen but I don't believe it will be a major factor certainly once he exercises his right to purchase the remaining shares.

I agree once he gets the remaining shares and his feet under the table I think he'll do things his way, but can't help but feel that up until then Kenwright will still hold more influence than we as fans would like on matters like these.

I would love Mourinho but can't see it happening, likewise I can't even see Martinez getting sacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back