Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who is scratching my head on our link to Joachim Loew and wondering why we don't aren't linked to Emery (or Simeone)? Someone thinks we can hire a World Cup winner and no one thinks we can hire the manager who might win his third Europa?

I don't mind Koeman, De Boer or Pellegrini, but if people are questioning their credentials for whatever reason, surely Emery gotta be up there among the top picks, or are we too afraid to even pick up that phone? I want Simeone, but he being the impossible man to get is understandable (His club willing to grow with him and all). Surely the rest are easy pickings with a decent salary package.

I hope we'll offer the next manager everything we can and whip the players into shape. I am disgusted by the performance of our players since West Ham and surely we can put money into better use by hiring an ambitious young man who should be only focused on the club's future on the field.

In total 18 players left in the summer. Eleven arrived, including Gerard Deulofeu, who came on loan from Barcelona, via Everton, and Iago Aspas, who joined from Liverpool. Neither has had a significant impact and, while Emery says Sevilla plan to exercise their option to buy Aspas, insisting “next year could be his year”, it seems unlikely that Deulofeu will continue.

“He has incredible qualities but lacks others. Put him out there, one on one and ... pfff,” Emery says, blowing out his cheeks in admiration. “But make him play football with team-mates, on a big pitch, and it’s hard. He doesn’t have the maturity or capacity for sacrifice yet. I told him: ‘There are players here who aspire to a contract like yours, men with less talent but more hunger. Iborra, Carriço, Vitolo. They know what it costs. You haven’t experienced that. When you do, you’ll grow. I hope you get that. If not here, somewhere else.’”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/27/sevilla-manager-europa-league-final-unai-emery

Good read on Emery, whos to say we havent spoken to him tho? He did turn down West Ham and Napoli last season.

You would imagine we are talking to many people.

Hopefully. Well I hope Deulofeu has seen what a nice manager in Martinez has done to his talent and the team and learn more from Emery. Would hate to lose him but if that's the cost, I think it is an acceptable one. I read about his time in Sevilla and looking at this season, not very surprised. There is a reason why he didn't break into Barca, not even much on the bench. Prodigal I guess.

But yes I know hes had all his best players sold and hes on course to win the Europa League 3 times but his league record isnt really great in my humble view.

But yes I know hes had all his best players sold and hes on course to win the Europa League 3 times but his league record isnt really great in my humble view.

I get that. Europa is the second tier, plus he never really dented the top 3 in Spain (did OK overall though). He is a better name than a lot of the other names we got thrown with IMO. Joachim Low might be a WC winner, but managing at a club is totally different from cherry picking a team from the German football factory. Wouldn't mind De Boer or Koeman (or less preferred Pellegrini).

Thing is mate, Moyes and Martinez were ambitious young men.

I think the time has come for a proven pair of hands, preferably with previous successes.

Don't you think the lack of ambition at Board level blunted Moyes, and Roberto to a lesser degree ? I would prefer a younger man than Pellegrini, simply because I fear we could be a cushy pre-retirement option for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back