Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't you think the lack of ambition at Board level blunted Moyes, and Roberto to a lesser degree ? I would prefer a younger man than Pellegrini, simply because I fear we could be a cushy pre-retirement option for him.
Yes I think the board have to shoulder some criticism at least in this respect - Moyes' lack of player-sale-fees to use use as a kitty was awful. Did we ever find the Arteta money?

I've never seen the King's Dock as the reason for our lack of progress - for me, it was after we finished 4th, as even a moderate investment in the team in the summer of 2004/5 would've seen us perhaps get to the group CL stage. What happened, who did we sign?

That's another thread though.

FORZA MOURINHO OR PELLEGRINI

Yes I think the board have to shoulder some criticism at least in this respect - Moyes' lack of player-sale-fees to use use as a kitty was awful. Did we ever find the Arteta money?

I've never seen the King's Dock as the reason for our lack of progress - for me, it was after we finished 4th, as even a moderate investment in the team in the summer of 2004/5 would've seen us perhaps get to the group CL stage. What happened, who did we sign?

That's another thread though.

FORZA MOURINHO OR PELLEGRINI

I suppose either would be an improvement, and I may be being a bit unfair to Pellegrini, but City have under-achieved given their resources. Perhaps a fresh challenge without their top-heavy structure would invigorate him.

I just hope the Mosh chooses well.

I suppose either would be an improvement, and I may be being a bit unfair to Pellegrini, but City have under-achieved given their resources. Perhaps a fresh challenge without their top-heavy structure would invigorate him.

I just hope the Mosh chooses well.
If underachieving is winning two league cups and a league title, I think we'd all take a third of that currently.

Am I the only one who is scratching my head on our link to Joachim Loew and wondering why we don't aren't linked to Emery (or Simeone)? Someone thinks we can hire a World Cup winner and no one thinks we can hire the manager who might win his third Europa?

I don't mind Koeman, De Boer or Pellegrini, but if people are questioning their credentials for whatever reason, surely Emery gotta be up there among the top picks, or are we too afraid to even pick up that phone? I want Simeone, but he being the impossible man to get is understandable (His club willing to grow with him and all). Surely the rest are easy pickings with a decent salary package.

I hope we'll offer the next manager everything we can and whip the players into shape. I am disgusted by the performance of our players since West Ham and surely we can put money into better use by hiring an ambitious young man who should be only focused on the club's future on the field.

Emery sounds good in theory but surely question marks must be asked about his clubs considerable under achievement in the league.

Any team that wins the Europa Lge as frequently Seville have done are clearly a good side who should certainly be challenging for more honours. IMO they should actually be challenging the top 3 yet they never do.

If underachieving is winning two league cups and a league title, I think we'd all take a third of that currently.

Sounds mad on the face of it, but I just have a nagging doubt. I admired his cool persona in the Villareal job, and they turned us over in style at Goodison, but I thought we were unlucky in the second leg.

The title win with City was far more nervy than it should have been, and I am not sold on the league cup as a strong competition, even though we have been completely unable to win it.

Fair enough matey, as you say football is about opinions and I only give my opinion as honestly as possible! I wouldn't claim to be right on Pellegrini I just don't think he's right for us. I understand a lot of people think he is and there is a lot of evidence to back that up too to be fair! I try to explain my position as best as possible and I appreciate the responses I get.

From what you've raised. Ajax are royalty in Holland but in now an increasingly poor league. I don't think it would be realistic to judge De Boer on European performance. City I would say, with the money they've spent are a top team in Europe. De Boers record in Europe is quite ordinary though minus some decent results.

As for Pep, I think in many ways people will view his tenure at Bayern unsuccessful if he doesn't win the European cup this season. He has won the league 3 times, but it is fair to say he is much further ahead of his competition than Pellegrini is with City. My point is though that league cups aren't a good reference point for a manager of City. It is the league and European cup as to how they should be judged.

I do agree there was something in the appointment of Pep undermining them. I think the nose dive had set in though, after a blistering start it had been a slow decline. I think Pep is a factor in it but I can't hand on heart say it caused their performance this season. I think they are over reliant on certain key players and the loss of Kompany has been bigger. Of course he's been unlucky with that, but it does beg the question, why hasn't he got better covering defenders in with the money to spend? Or more importantly for us, what is he going to do with a defence with no Kompany in?

It is reassuring to see solid defensively in Spain. It's hard to knock his work in Spain particularly at Villareal. My criticism of him is based more in England, where I do think they've looked a bit of a soft touch.
As for least deserving champions. Well all champions have done brilliantly to win. However they didn't blitz the league and I would say Liverpool lost it as much as they won it.

There is a lot of merit in Pelligrini. Fantastic job at Villareal, and a good job at Malaga. I think he has done ok at City and Madrid, not a failure but also not a roaring success. I see a 62 year old man though who for the last few years of his life has been at clubs who are the best backed in the league, and indeed the world and it is poles apart from where we are even under Moshiri. I don't see it as being the longer term appointment I'd want and I don't think he's going to change the culture of the club around in such a short space of time. If I could summarise my feelings on Pellegrini it wouldn't be that he's a bad manager as he's not just that he's not the right type of manager for what we need currently.

I understand lots of Evertonian's want different things too. Some aren't as keen for a longer term appointment. Some want an appointment we can get in quickly, one that knows the area, or has performed in the premier league. He fits a lot of those things perfectly. He just doesn't fit what I would like for our new manager.

All interesting points, the thing i would differ most on thinking with you is probably the bolded part though mate.

Right now i think we need to get in someone who is not only a winner and has that mentality, but one who fits a fair few criteria, doesn't talk guff or blow smoke up underperforming players arses, one who can command the respect from day 1 - because right now i think thats dissapeared from the club, one who changes the media perceptuion of us drastically - because IMO anyway i think thats part of the problem, if something is said about a club often enough it eventually starts to become a self fullfilling thing and gets into the players mentaility and mindsets - all that needs to be changed at least in part

WE don't neccesarily need a long term appointment, someone like a Pelligrini on a 3 year deal who sees that out would be able to turn a huge amount of things around - yet again IMO must be added there

At the moment we have a massie rpoblem throughout the players, mentality is all wrong - need a winning mentality drove into this squad, fitness levels are at the lowest point by a mile i have ever seen from an Everton team - and indeed cannot remember a team which looks less fit than we do in the league for years - if ever. Would be nice to get the next superstar young manager of the future in - one whod be dynamic like a young mourinho was at chelsea etc, but i thibnk we as a club are 3-5 years away from that, we need stability and someone who has the experience to notonly make the players believe without question, but one who can also get them to stick in the hard work which is needed at this level to get anywhere and make the best of the ability they have.

For me anyway, Pelligrini is the stand out candidate for us at this point for our club

All interesting points, the thing i would differ most on thinking with you is probably the bolded part though mate.

Right now i think we need to get in someone who is not only a winner and has that mentality, but one who fits a fair few criteria, doesn't talk guff or blow smoke up underperforming players arses, one who can command the respect from day 1 - because right now i think thats dissapeared from the club, one who changes the media perceptuion of us drastically - because IMO anyway i think thats part of the problem, if something is said about a club often enough it eventually starts to become a self fullfilling thing and gets into the players mentaility and mindsets - all that needs to be changed at least in part

WE don't neccesarily need a long term appointment, someone like a Pelligrini on a 3 year deal who sees that out would be able to turn a huge amount of things around - yet again IMO must be added there

At the moment we have a massie rpoblem throughout the players, mentality is all wrong - need a winning mentality drove into this squad, fitness levels are at the lowest point by a mile i have ever seen from an Everton team - and indeed cannot remember a team which looks less fit than we do in the league for years - if ever. Would be nice to get the next superstar young manager of the future in - one whod be dynamic like a young mourinho was at chelsea etc, but i thibnk we as a club are 3-5 years away from that, we need stability and someone who has the experience to notonly make the players believe without question, but one who can also get them to stick in the hard work which is needed at this level to get anywhere and make the best of the ability they have.

For me anyway, Pelligrini is the stand out candidate for us at this point for our club
Litterly couldnt agree more. The last thing we need now IMO is a 'young up and coming manager e.g de boer' we need a few years of stability and growing and improving on and off the pitch as a team and a club. What Pellegrini could do for us in 3 years is massive.

Litterly couldnt agree more. The last thing we need now IMO is a 'young up and coming manager e.g de boer' we need a few years of stability and growing and improving on and off the pitch as a team and a club. What Pellegrini could do for us in 3 years is massive.

Also throw in the fact at Malaga and Villareal he has been at clubs with owners who had ambitions to smash the traditional places they had occupied - and succeeded to a varying degree with both clubs, top appointment, and being honest - the amusement factor aside of seeing Mourinho at us goading that lot, has been replaced by the pragmatism that Pelligrini would actually be the best appointment we could make from many perspectives for the future of the club

If it was to be Eddie Howe, how would you lot feel about it?

He's deffo not my 1st choice but if he came I'd be far more willing to get behind him than someone like Hughes or Moyes. I don't get the shouts that Howe is average. He's taken Bournemouth from League 2 to the PL in a short time and he's not even 40 yet. Average managers don't do that. As someone else posted, he laid some foundations at Burnley despite not doing overly well there, bringing the likes of Ings and Austin to the club etc. On the continent managers who do good jobs at so-called smaller clubs often get given cracks at bigger jobs quite quickly. It's only here in England that they don't. Pochettino is the only recent one I can think of. I think Howe has a lot of potential but personally I'd like to see him establish himself in the PL a couple more years before we consider him.

Pelligrini is just a slightly better Martinez.

This is my concern about Pellegrini, very similar in style to Martinez. Basically City's defensive solidity hinges on whether Company plays or not and that's it.

Joachim Low 2/1.

ODDS DON'T MATTER

I think he's contracted to Germany till 2018 World Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back