Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seen the Löw rumours.

Also seen some people say they wouldn't want him... a World Cup-winning coach... to take over.

NSNO lad

Seen the Löw rumours.

Also seen some people say they wouldn't want him... a World Cup-winning coach... to take over.

NSNO lad

Are we in the World Cup anytime soon?

Anyway, this explains it better than me.

6) His club record is awful
While Low has seen great success with Germany, his time with clubs is rather less impressive.

He has managed seven different club sides, but never lasted longer than two seasons in one job.

In his seemingly isolated success at this level, the German guided Stuttgart to fourth in the Bundesliga as well as winning the DFB-Pokal Cup, in a stint lasting from 1996-98.

Outside of this, Low has plumbed the depths of the Bundesliga second division (which he was relegated from), and contributed to Adanaspor being relegated from the Turkish Super Lig.

5) Not only is his record bad, he hasn’t even done it for ages
Low has been involved with the German national team, first as assistant manager and then in the top job, since 2004 – and that is a very different job to that at Everton.

He would have to work day-to-day with players on Merseyside, rather than just meeting up with them a few times every year.

As such his tactical prowess may become less important as he is tested on his training and man management ability.

4) His weaknesses are remarkably similar to Martinez’s
One of the many annoyances with Martinez at Everton is his refusal to change his philosophy, despite it clearly having some faults.

Low has become known for the passing game he has instilled with Die Mannschaft, changing it from the fast, counter-attacking style seen at the 2010 World Cup.

He has even been criticised at times for the high defensive line that he plays with, which is eerily similar to the grievances with Martinez’s style at Goodison Park.

3) His only success is with brilliant players
If there is one thing you can say about the German national team, it is that it’s chock-a-block with amazingly talented footballers.

Meanwhile, although Everton have the likes of Ross Barkley and Romelu Lukaku, they also rely on a 34-year-old Leon Osman from time to time.

Would Low really be able to adapt to Tony Hibbert and Arouna Kone?

If his prior experiences with club football are anything to go by, Low needs top quality players in order to succeed.

2) Low has little experience in the transfer market
Everton, in its rather old-fashioned way, still works with a system where the manager makes all decisions, from transfers to tactics.

However, Low will be more used to the continental system, with a director of football taking most of the off-pitch duties.

Unless the Toffees were to bring in a new system with their new manager, then it may not be the best idea to put a clueless tactician in charge of incomings and outgoings.

After all, there’s already one Oumar Niasse at the club.

1) He simply doesn’t have the right style for Everton.
Is Tony Hibbert really going to take instructions from a man this dapper?

joachim-low-tony-hibbert.jpg

Swerve the utter bowl headed weapon.

While Low has seen great success with Germany, his time with clubs is rather less impressive.

He has managed seven different club sides, but never lasted longer than two seasons in one job.

In his seemingly isolated success at this level, the German guided Stuttgart to fourth in the Bundesliga as well as winning the DFB-Pokal Cup, in a stint lasting from 1996-98.

Outside of this, Low has plumbed the depths of the Bundesliga second division (which he was relegated from), and contributed to Adanaspor being relegated from the Turkish Super Lig.

Low has been involved with the German national team, first as assistant manager and then in the top job, since 2004 – and that is a very different job to that at Everton.

He would have to work day-to-day with players on Merseyside, rather than just meeting up with them a few times every year.

As such his tactical prowess may become less important as he is tested on his training and man management ability.

One of the many annoyances with Martinez at Everton is his refusal to change his philosophy, despite it clearly having some faults.

Low has become known for the passing game he has instilled with Die Mannschaft, changing it from the fast, counter-attacking style seen at the 2010 World Cup.

He has even been criticised at times for the high defensive line that he plays with, which is eerily similar to the grievances with Martinez’s style at Goodison Park.

If there is one thing you can say about the German national team, it is that it’s chock-a-block with amazingly talented footballers.

Meanwhile, although Everton have the likes of Ross Barkley and Romelu Lukaku, they also rely on a 34-year-old Leon Osman from time to time.

If his prior experiences with club football are anything to go by, Low needs top quality players in order to succeed.

Everton, in its rather old-fashioned way, still works with a system where the manager makes all decisions, from transfers to tactics.

However, Low will be more used to the continental system, with a director of football taking most of the off-pitch duties.

Unless the Toffees were to bring in a new system with their new manager, then it may not be the best idea to put a clueless tactician in charge of incomings and outgoings.

I get the shouts of doing nothing at club level. I understand that.

But I don't get the opinion that Everton fans would be in the position to turn down a world cup winner...

Yeh, I know we're not going to be in the WC soon. But Low's success with Germany (that article wrongly suggests he wasn't responsible for how good they were in the 2010 WC, with a crop of youngsters playing brilliant football, even though he's been manager since 2006) cannot be disputed.

If he came it would be a real coup. No doubt about it - and the players we could attract would step up another level all together...

Also, on the point of him being stubborn, all the best managers are, to an extent. Pellegrini, who many - including myself - would happily see as our new manager, is hugely criticised by City fans due to his stubborness.

I get the shouts of doing nothing at club level. I understand that.

But I don't get the opinion that Everton fans would be in the position to turn down a world cup winner...

Yeh, I know we're not going to be in the WC soon. But Low's success with Germany (that article wrongly suggests he wasn't responsible for how good they were in the 2010 WC, with a crop of youngsters playing brilliant football, even though he's been manager since 2006) cannot be disputed.

If he came it would be a real coup. No doubt about it - and the players we could attract would step up another level all together...

So we should ignore the fact that hes terrible at club level cos he won a World Cup? Cos hes got a good rep?

Sorry but we dont need to appoint somebody like this, we should appoint a winner, not somebody that picks the best players in the playground, somebody that BRINGS the best players to the playground.

Not too sure either to be fair

Great international manager ( first manager to lead a European team to win a world cup on south American soil) but the club record looks ropey

Ha Ha Ha. Sounds like your taken with him. He's had his arse handed to him in games that matter in Europe. Winning against teams like Twente Eschede and Alkmaar each week is not impressive.

Losing at home to some of the rubbish we have this season isnt impressive either Dave.

De Boer's CV is a damn sight better than Martinez's.

So we should ignore the fact that hes terrible at club level cos he won a World Cup? Cos hes got a good rep?

Sorry but we dont need to appoint somebody like this, we should appoint a winner, not somebody that picks the best players in the playground, somebody that BRINGS the best players to the playground.

He did wonders with Stuttgart at first, then yeh he slipped quickly and went to the national side where he, very quickly, got appointed as manager within two years.

Unless you're on a wind up...

But yeh, I don't think you can win something much bigger in football than what Low has done. And he didn't 'pick the best players', he picked Ozil, Khedira, Muller etc for that 2010 WC because he saw that was the way to go, not with more proven players.

He did wonders with Stuttgart at first, then yeh he slipped quickly and went to the national side where he, very quickly, got appointed as manager within two years.

Unless you're on a wind up...

But yeh, I don't think you can win something much bigger in football than what Low has done. And he didn't 'pick the best players', he picked Ozil, Khedira, Muller etc for that 2010 WC because he saw that was the way to go, not with more proven players.

You want me to praise somebody for picking 3 world class players in a team?

I mean come on, your talking about 3 World Class talents here.

You say you cant win anything bigger in football than a World Cup, name me 5 World Cup winning managers or name me 5 CL/EC winning managers, I bet you struggle with the 5 WC.

The CL is currently the biggest footballing tournament in the World, the World Cup comes along every 4 years and whilst its an amazing footballing show, its hardly the pinnacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back