Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye...back then the top 4 were a hell of a lot stronger than they are now. Moyes did very well in consistently having us best-of-the-rest.

Moyes > Koeman
Not sure you can say that given the mess that Koeman took over and the fact that he's only been there for 2 seasons.

Not sure you can say that given the mess that Koeman took over and the fact that he's only been there for 2 seasons.

Moyes also inherited a mess with the likes of Ginola, Gazza and Mark Hughes in the squad. All many years past their best and a disruptive influence in the dressing room. He also inherited a side that hadn't finished top 10 for seven years. Within 2 seasons he got us top 4.

Do not want De Boer or Koeman.

There's 1 man and 1 man only we should be after. Go and break the bank for Jose, he's in a different league to all the other candidates by some distance.

If de Boer's such a good manager he should be walking that league - yet he bottles the title on the last day. Couldn't even beat Celtic earlier in the season, is very stubborn and refuses to acknowledge his teams failings just like a certain manager we know of - he has said numerous times his team did not win because the other side "parked 2 buses".

Just because he was a good player doesn't mean he's a good manager.

You are aware that when he took over Ajax hadn't won a title in 7 years under 6 different managers and were in serious financial and organisational trouble? He took over in december 2010 when they were in 4th place, then they sold Suarez in january without getting a replacement in, and still won the league. And won it 3 years in a row, meanwhile the club was in shambles, major cuts, lowered wages and spending and reorganisation, all kinds of drama and backstabbing. They kept selling their best players. Besides winning 4 titles under him during that time, they've also gone to being an incredibly healthy club financially in those few years, profitable with 100+ million in the bank. Dutch clubs don't tend to have rich owners, so yeah.

I agree though that they've been fickle in Europe, they have looked good against some good teams, and not so good against some of the lesser teams. I think this is due to them basically having the youngest team in Europe, they lack consistency and show naivity. That's worthy of criticism in my opinion, but isn't just on him but on Ajax's overall technical policy. Their depency on youth is failing.

De Boer is a pure myth, finishing 2nd at Ajax is like finishing 2nd with the Old Firm, couldn't beat Rapid Vienna in CL qualifying either.

I've never been on the De Boer bandwagon almost impossible to not challenge at Ajax and he's done worse than many before him.

Worse than many before him, really? What about the 6 managers before him that didn't win the Dutch league in the 7 years before he became manager?

Also, the comparison to Scottish football doesn't hold. The financial gap between those 2 Scottish clubs with the rest of their league is much bigger.

Mess? They finished 8th on 56 points the season before he took over.

Edit - I wouldn't mind Koeman, I just think it is more obvious than ever that Moyes was really good for us and I don't understand why people deny it.

http://www.football-oranje.com/de-boer-like-bad-dream/

The Amsterdam side went into the final day just needing to beat second bottom De Graafschap to lift the title and seemed on their way after Amin Younes gave them a first half lead. However, Ajax then missed several good chances before Bryan Smeets equalised for De Graafschap and earned his side a draw.

Speaking to Fox Sports afterwards a frustrated Frank de Boer said, “We have not taken the opportunities that we have received. When you make the 2-0 after the 1-0, you’re done. We had enough chances.

“It’s like you’re in a bad dream, where you can not contain anything.”

De Boer then sportingly congratulated PSV for their title win, “I want to congratulate my colleague Phillip (Cocu) and PSV for their title win.”

De Boer is set to announce next week whether he will remain as Ajax head coach next week and he was asked whether the title loss would affect his decision. He responded, “No, I’ve already made my decision.”

Also, the comparison to Scottish football doesn't hold. The financial gap between those 2 Scottish clubs with the rest of their league is much bigger.

And how much has De Boer spent at Ajax? This article is interesting.. http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/4...er-ajax-have-become-a-feeder-club-for-the-big

"We have become an academy for those clubs and we realise that. What we see these days is that players leave Ajax in their early twenties for a bigger salary elsewhere."

De Boer then went on to say that the changes in European football make the club's youth academy all the more important, but stressed that the presence of experienced players is crucial on the road to success, too.

"That is why our youth academy is so incredibly important for us. And maybe, if we have a bit of luck and have six or seven great youngsters coming through, plus perhaps two experienced players, we could do something in Europe.

There is a good video here too http://www.theguardian.com/football/video/2015/aug/27/ajax-frank-de-boer-world-football-academy

Moyes also inherited a mess with the likes of Ginola, Gazza and Mark Hughes in the squad. All many years past their best and a disruptive influence in the dressing room. He also inherited a side that hadn't finished top 10 for seven years. Within 2 seasons he got us top 4.
Moyes didn't take over a great squad but Koeman didn't even have a full squad when he arrived! Moyes got into the top 4 in his third full season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back