Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We need a manager who can

1. Enforce a proper defensive and attacking structure. The defenders don't work in unison and we don't attack or press as a team. Frequently I see teams tearing through our central midfield as McCarthy is the only central midfielder there.

2. Maintain a proper fitness regime. There's been a huge transition in the last 3/4 years from possession based play to tight pressing and counterattacking teams. To combat these teams we need to be at a similar or at least appreciable level of fitness. In 13/14 think how many games we won in the last 10 minutes (United home, Wham home/away, Cardiff home...). Its the opposite now.

3. Support our strikers. Whether Rom is here or not, in the matches against big teams we seem to sit deep, let the opponent crowd the box. When we get it we lump it up to Rom, they get it back, and the whole process begins again.

4. Enforce a bit of the snide. We are a nice team to play. We've got a few red cards recently but that's been due to frustration at our ineptitude rather than sustained ruthlessness. We need to not be afraid to get in people's faces. Spurs are very good at making a snide tackle to stop a breakaway several times before drawing the yellow with players like lamela/dier/alli.

5. Train set pieces. That is all.

Whomever can enforce at least a few of these will be a better manager than what we have. At this point I do not care if it's De Boer or the girl that hands out the toffees before the match.

And we can grind out 1-0 matches from now until the end of time for me. I can't face losing any more games in the 98th sodding minute

Let's be honest for a moment. We ALL think Jose would be an amazing manager. But he plays REALLY defensive football. Dave would be SO against that type of football even if we won the Premier League.

All in, let's do it Everton!
I actually think defensive winning football suits us the most, especially if there was a bit of snide in there too. The rest of the league might hate us but we'd all love it, especially the Goodison crowd.

There are always flaws you can find in any possible candidate to get worried about and blow out of proportion. As far as managerial appointments go, Jose would be pretty much as good as it gets. The positives hugely outweigh any negatives. The other top candidates such as DeBoer, Pellegrini and Koeman would all offer us far more than Martinez did. We'll come out of this infinitely better off, whatever happens.

Seeing indications from friends, acquaintances and this thread that the reds would rather we didn't get Jose, to put it mildly. I don't blame them.

We won't know but that's why I said there is some risk to appointing him. He could be great, he could be awful, that's why I am unsure. What he has done at Ajax is fantastic but like you said it's not best league is it. He is personally my 3rd or 4th choice.
And England has the best league, clearly superior, and only brilliant managers win it every single year.

That's why "agricultural" Leicester just won it with a manager who managed to lose to the Faroe Islands or something with Greece. He also hadn't won anything of note in the last forever, despite managing primarily big teams.

Perseverance and adaptability win you leagues, never mind where you play the game. Football is football. De Boer and Cocu have both had winning experiences and have built good teams, and have played in Europe. Maybe they'll do better given more finances?

Perseverance and adaptability win you leagues, never mind where you play the game. Football is football. De Boer and Cocu have both had winning experiences and have built good teams, and have played in Europe. Maybe they'll do better given more finances?

Agree, I prefer a coach that can last a long time and adaptable enough to grow with us. Cocu looks to be better at that than De Boer, but I'll take either any day. Still, I hope they do at least try to contact Emery.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...Registers-Interest-Premier-League-News-Gossip

Everton boss Martinez faces sack: Club chiefs weigh up options amid Leicester defeat
ROBERTO MARTINEZ faces being sacked by Everton as Ajax coach Frank de Boer became the first candidate to register his interest in the Goodison Park job.

New major shareholder at Everton Farhad Moshiri will decide when Martinez is jettisoned with the spineless surrender at champions Leicester City on Saturday laying bare the need for change.

Everton had hoped to reach the end of the season without firing Martinez, but the club’s hierarchy have been forced to reassess that with Wednesday’s trip to Sunderland preceding the final home game of a poor campaign against Norwich next Sunday.

The agent of Ajax coach De Boer claimed his client would “love” to join the Merseyside club and he will be one of a number of names under consideration.

latest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back