Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does habitual failure AVB keep getting mentioned on this forum??

Won the treble, including a UEFA cup, in his first year as a manager.

Got 72 points (a Premier league record still) whilst Spurs manager.

Then won the Russian league and Russian cup at Zenit.

He is still 38 years old.

Has 60% winning ratio over his career. Higher than Alex Ferguson at Manchester United (59%)

I've said it since the beginning, there is more win at Everton
We need a manager who can

1. Enforce a proper defensive and attacking structure. The defenders don't work in unison and we don't attack or press as a team. Frequently I see teams tearing through our central midfield as McCarthy is the only central midfielder there.

2. Maintain a proper fitness regime. There's been a huge transition in the last 3/4 years from possession based play to tight pressing and counterattacking teams. To combat these teams we need to be at a similar or at least appreciable level of fitness. In 13/14 think how many games we won in the last 10 minutes (United home, Wham home/away, Cardiff home...). Its the opposite now.

3. Support our strikers. Whether Rom is here or not, in the matches against big teams we seem to sit deep, let the opponent crowd the box. When we get it we lump it up to Rom, they get it back, and the whole process begins again.

4. Enforce a bit of the snide. We are a nice team to play. We've got a few red cards recently but that's been due to frustration at our ineptitude rather than sustained ruthlessness. We need to not be afraid to get in people's faces. Spurs are very good at making a snide tackle to stop a breakaway several times before drawing the yellow with players like lamela/dier/alli.

5. Train set pieces. That is all.

Whomever can enforce at least a few of these will be a better manager than what we have. At this point I do not care if it's De Boer or the girl that hands out the toffees before the match.

And we can grind out 1-0 matches from now until the end of time for me. I can't face losing any more games in the 98th sodding minute
david-moyes-happy.jpg

I don't understand it when people are saying it is going to take a year to turn the team around. This is the best squad we have had in years it is just the management side that is letting us down. The right appointment in the summer keep the squad together with a few additions we should be up there challenging the top 4

Last edited:

I'm really surprised at how many people think Mourinho is a realistic option.

Way out of our league.

Koeman
Howe
Pelligrini

Will be one of those.

I'm really surprised at how many people think Mourinho is a realistic option.

Way out of our league.

Koeman
Howe
Pelligrini

Will be one of those.

That's the spirit. NSNO. FFS no wonder we get linked with dross like O'Neill with thinking like this.

Why the bloody hell aren't we a realistic option? one of the most successful clubs in the biggest league in the world. New billionaire owner, A spine of exceptional young players at his disposal.

Plus after the whole Chelsea debacle the massive clubs aren't really clamouring for his signature are they. He needs to raise his stock again, what better way than with us.

Thing is, I can only see a Mourinho level appointment (as pie in the sky as that might be) having any chance of keeping our top names (particularly Rom and Stones)
Yes agree that's the reality. I don't see Rom staying regardless though. I don't see Jose going to Utd , think its just the media driving this rather than anything solid going on.

How much money do you think it would take for him to choose us over United?
He won't choose us over United, but it's far from certain that the United job will be available, and even if it is, there's not 100% backing for him to be the man to take it on.

If the United job isn't available, we stand a decent chance imo.

That's the point mate.

That's the spirit. NSNO. FFS no wonder we get linked with dross like O'Neill with thinking like this.

Why the bloody hell aren't we a realistic option? one of the most successful clubs in the biggest league in the world. New billionaire owner, A spine of exceptional young players at his disposal.

Plus after the whole Chelsea debacle the massive clubs aren't really clamouring for his signature are they. He needs to raise his stock again, what better way than with us.

We haven't been successful for over 20 years. Don't spout NSNO then try to claim we are one of the most successful clubs in the league. We are also rans right now.

I'm reserving judgement on our 'new billionaire owner' for the time being as he's not anything yet. Let's wait and see how much we actually start spending before getting carried away.

And, these 'exceptional young players' you are banging on about. Lukaku? Who else? No one else has done anything to warrant superlatives like exceptional.

Down here in the real world, Mourinho has managed top clubs since hitting the big stage. He's being courted by United. If they want him (which is likely irrespective of what LVG does), they will get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back