Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed

to big a risk for him as we will need to give him 200m to buy who he wants and that's what he will demand, not sure we can and will do that

and if he fails it harms his future employment prospects

I know thats been his rep - but look at what he done at porto, he had good players there there is no doubt, but he spent a fraction of the rest of the champions league that year and won it.

He has been given massive funds everywhere else - but thats not his fault.

Its a pipe dream that will never happen, though.

I heard that Harry Redknap is off to Bournmouth this Summer which would mean that Eddie Howe has plans to move on. I would be happy with him and is a more realistic target for us.

I heard that Harry Redknap is off to Bournmouth this Summer which would mean that Eddie Howe has plans to move on. I would be happy with him and is a more realistic target for us.

Please god no. I like the lad - but we have DONE up and coming managers.

If Martinez goes, we have to get a winner in. Someone who has won trophies to try and take us that next step.

Not financially feasible, would never happen and doubt he would take such a challenge

Never know, he wanted a long term project this time round apparently which is why he went back to Chelsea, he may just realise that for a long term project he has to go to a place that 1. has a long term vision and plan to move the club forward, and 2. doesn't operate under the insane pressure you get at the likes of United, Chelsea, Madrid etc.

The amount of people against his appointment at United in positions of influence at the club would mean he went in that job with people working against him from the outset, dunno if thats something he will want this time around.

I'm in the Favre camp. Rudi Garcia is also available & plausible.

Mourinho, would cause too many issues in the dressing room. True winner though and would make us proper snides. He'd probably get rid of half our team anyway.
De Boer, not feeling it. He's been Ajax for a while, bought a lot of the kids (he worked with for years) up into the first team. Knows the club, inside and out, in a league not famed for its difficulty. When riding high, he'd keep things moving but similar to Martinez, when the heads have gone, does he have the managerial nous to pull it round? Not sure.
Howe, i'm a big fan and think with a couple more years experience in the top league, he could become a top coach. For now, especially with our new Major Shareholder, he'll be looking at slightly 'bigger' names.
Simeone is unrealistic, he's got everything he needs at Atletico and continues to work wonders with a team he's built.
Hiddink ...he only does a year at clubs because he doesn't want full time work.

It's finding a coach/manager that fits with our 'style', without having to make destructive, wholesale changes in the first instance and being able to buy smart and nurture our young players into a winning mentality. Also has experience working with teams when things go against them, and can manage a full squad efficiently, especially with our club's European ambitions going forward.

Need someone to build a squad, rather than just start again. We have some of the best young talent in Europe in our first team, some of the best young academy players in the country but we need to utilise them properly.

I'm in the Favre camp. Rudi Garcia is also available & plausible.

Mourinho, would cause too many issues in the dressing room. True winner though and would make us proper snides. He'd probably get rid of half our team anyway.
De Boer, not feeling it. He's been Ajax for a while, bought a lot of the kids (he worked with for years) up into the first team. Knows the club, inside and out, in a league not famed for its difficulty. When riding high, he'd keep things moving but similar to Martinez, when the heads have gone, does he have the managerial nous to pull it round? Not sure.
Howe, i'm a big fan and think with a couple more years experience in the top league, he could become a top coach. For now, especially with our new Major Shareholder, he'll be looking at slightly 'bigger' names.
Simeone is unrealistic, he's got everything he needs at Atletico and continues to work wonders with a team he's built.

It's finding a coach/manager that fits with our 'style', without having to make destructive, wholesale changes in the first instance and being able to buy smart and nurture our young players into a winning mentality. Also has experience working with teams when things go against them, and can manage a full squad efficiently, especially with our club's European ambitions going forward.

Need someone to build a squad, rather than just start again. We have some of the best young talent in Europe in our first team, some of the best young academy players in the country but we need to utilise them properly.

I know nothing about Favre, never heard of him until this thread to be perfectly honest so i have no concept of what the man can bring.

Rudi Garcia is an interesting one, I think De Boer would be good (personally like) think what you note above is a fair assessment though, what do you think about Cocu?

Looking at the 'newer' german coaches that have hit big with Mainz etc seem a hit there. Would have thought Tuchel to be a good name for us, but why leave Dortmund and almost certain Champions League for next couple of years for a challenger for Europa at best?

Unai Emery or Ernesto Valverde are proven but all of these are mostly exotic sounding with no track record in the Premier League.

I know nothing about Favre, never heard of him until this thread to be perfectly honest so i have no concept of what the man can bring.

Rudi Garcia is an interesting one, I think De Boer would be good (personally like) think what you note above is a fair assessment though, what do you think about Cocu?

Rightly so, Favre has been mentioned a few times. He took over at Mochengladbach when they looked like getting relegated and turned them back into a Bundesliga powerhous, that eventually competed regularly in Europe.

Here's some articles about his style etc.

http://theinsidechannel.com/lucien-favres-tactics-at-borussia-monchengladbach/

One guy sounded him out as a great replacement for Martinez back in December.
http://europeanfootballtalk.com/2015/12/26/lucien-favre-someone-hire-him/
"The second club is a bit of a long-shot, but a combination that I believe would be extremely successful. Before taking over at Everton, Favre would need Roberto Martinez to leave the club. While some fans may want this the positive feeling in the media around Everton makes this somewhat unlikely. No matter, it’s always enjoyable to speculate, especially in football.

Favre’s ability to work with youngsters may well be key to potential success at Everton. With players Ross Barkley, Romelu Lukaku, Gerard Deulofeu, John Stones and Brendon Galloway at the club, the Toffees have a lot of potential spread throughout their squad. With Favre in charge the potential could become reality. What’s more these young players would be great in a counter attacking set up. The pace of Deulofeu and Lukaku would pose a real threat on the break, especially when combining with Barkley and Stones’ passing ability – formidable.

Everton has also proved under Martinez that they are a good side in possession of the ball and the flexibility of the squad would be an alluring factor for Favre.

I’ve already spoken several times about Favre’s ability to get the best out of players, and at Everton a player who I believe would really benefit from Favre’s coaching is the new Argentine centre back Ramiro Funes Mori. The former River Plate man has shown some impressive defensive instincts in his 11 premier league appearances to date, but he leaves most of Goodison sitting uneasy with his rash decision making. That’s where Favre would come in, his ruthless attention to detail could make Funes Mori into a more reliable defender and potentially a mainstay in Everton’s defence. These methods could make Everton and England’s golden boy John Stones into a more pragmatic defender, for better or for worse.

Despite all the positive effects Favre could have on Everton one problem could be the fact he doesn’t speak the language, which wouldn’t be much of a problem if tackled in the right way.

For me a change at Goodison Park would be a good thing, whilst they play some great football under Roberto Martinez they haven’t improved on his great first season, and the club risks stagnating if they continue to be wooed by Martinez’s brand of football."

Cocu is in a similar boat to De Boer. Personally, I think he needs another 'challenge' before people can truly assess his ability as a coach. He managed to knock Ajax from their perch last year and looks possible, that they might to do it again this year. The Eredivisie is a hard league to judge. Not just from a managerial perspective but also players. For every Suarez, you get an Alfonso Alves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back