Next ten games

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's sheer lunacy thinking that a team which has won 16 out out of its last 50 league games, and hasn't won back to back games since April, is going to win 10 in a row.

I think this run is going to be a lot tougher than some people are thinking. If we get 18 points from the 24 available from this list then I think it will be a good return. Any less than 15 would make it pretty difficult to finish much higher than last year I think.

I always think 2 points per game is a very good return which would leave you on 76 at the end of a season and almost certainly in the top 4. 16 points would therefore be good going. Unfortunately as we've taken 13 from the first ten, if we want to get back to a points total that puts us in Europa spots we could prob do with getting 20. That would be 33 points from 18 games which is very good form. Anything below 16 though and we're looking at being at the halfway stage with a tally that would place us on course for a midtable finish (outside the top 8).

It's sheer lunacy thinking that a team which has won 16 out out of its last 50 league games, and hasn't won back to back games since April, is going to win 10 in a row.

I think this run is going to be a lot tougher than some people are thinking. If we get 18 points from the 24 available from this list then I think it will be a good return. Any less than 15 would make it pretty difficult to finish much higher than last year I think.

I'm secretly hoping we can do what we did in Martinez's first season and string 7 in a row together. That pushed us right into the reckoning for fourth and was only overshadowed because Liverpool were on a 13 game one. Admittedly there were some poor performances in that run (Cardiff and Subderland gone to mind) but we kept going and hopefully we can do the same this time with a bit of confidence. I agree with you though, this side historically only wins when the pressure is off and our recent record is not great so thoughts of long winning runs are unlikely.

Totally unjustified optimism...we have holes everywhere...add refs, luck and other teams who luv to play against us

I'd agree, but all I read on here is how it's impossible to finish ahead of them (which is strange considering in the last 3 seasons alone we've finished ahead of Liverpool Spurs and United at different times). Not even top 7 is the target, it seems it's now top 8? Why have standards gone down?

I would say its because @davek is so bonkers with pushing his agendas that he is even rebuffing arguments that people MIGHT make in the future!

I would say its because @davek is so bonkers with pushing his agendas that he is even rebuffing arguments that people MIGHT make in the future!
It's not an agenda. I've always accepted a good top half finish was acceptable. My point in the past is that it should never be seen as success. Moyes got a great reputation based on not much in that respect.

I'm not dumbing down where we should finish up, not at all. Top 7/8 and a good cup run is acceptable. Even more so when the clear objective this season has to be restructuring the first team squad, something Martinez is obviously trying to achieve. Next season I'd set him a top 5/6 finish as a goal. By then young players like Galloway and Browning will be established first teamers, he'll have had time to bring one (possibly two) more youngsters into the first team fold, and look to strengthen next summer with a new GK and that elusive playmaker.

It's all about moving in the right direction until we can get investment in. Were on the right track under RM.

It's not an agenda. I've always accepted a good top half finish was acceptable. My point in the past is that it should never be seen as success. Moyes got a great reputation based on not much in that respect.

I'm not dumbing down where we should finish up, not at all. Top 7/8 and a good cup run is acceptable. Even more so when the clear objective this season has to be restructuring the first team squad, something Martinez is obviously trying to achieve. Next season I'd set him a top 5/6 finish as a goal. By then young players like Galloway and Browning will be established first teamers, he'll have had time to bring one (possibly two) more youngsters into the first team fold, and look to strengthen next summer with a new GK and that elusive playmaker.

It's all about moving in the right direction until we can get investment in. Were on the right track under RM.

I am talking more about your methods Dave. You know how you do what you do and why you do it.

Some things I agree with you on, others not. I was and am supportive of Bobby, even through last seasons mess.

And I wasn´t necessarily disagreeing on how you do things, just commenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.