Not A Transfer Rumour..... Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it absurd that Rooney is worth £250 Thousand pounds a week and that people would consider it good business to pay him more than half of that when we still need a new stadium and have a dangerously high wage bill already.
While our marketing and merch isn't the envy of anyone it does still exist and signing Wayne Rooney makes the club extra money. How much (and how effectively our team could leverage his "brand") is obviously up for debate.

If we pay Heits 60k we are essentially paying him 60k. Yes he contributes (not so much this year) to gaining more points which gets us some more money but basically he has little added value above his on-pitch contribution.

Rooney makes the club extra money off-pitch. So if he gets 150k it might be 100k (numbers pulled from arse) after you factor in the value of his name on an Everton shirt. I don't know the exact numbers obviously but there is a value to his name above and beyond what he adds on the pitch.

If we are in the market for a player (and he's picking between us and some other teams) if he hears we just signed Rooney I think there is value in that respect as well from a raised profile. Could even help takeover if we were actually for sale. I bet we'd be on TV more often which means more money. I'm sure there are other examples. He would make us money whereas the average player we'd sign on at 30-60k (barring uncovering the next Messi) isn't going to have significant value in that respect.

So there is way more to factor in than just "150k is more than we typically pay" since nobody we pay right now has anything remotely close to that kind of off-pitch value.

Not to mention not giving Rooney 150k isn't going to get us anywhere closer to a stadium. I could probably argue that paying Rooney 150k makes us more likely to get a stadium.

Last edited:
Even if we could afford him and he did come, once a traitor always a traitor.
Isn't anyone we sign (who hasn't always been an Everton youth player) a "traitor" of some team? Is everyone we sell (some of whom didn't really want to leave) a traitor? Is Rooney less of a traitor because he left Man U (therefore showing he doesn't really love them like he loves us) or more of a traitor since he betrayed two teams? Is someone who has played for ten teams more of a traitor than someone who plays with one team for ten years and then leaves?

The whole business is pretty silly. I've switched companies before ... am I a traitor?

He's a great player and he isn't close to a Suarez level scumbag. I like it when we have great big name players. We might have 1% shot at him but it's better than the 0% shot we have at almost any other player who is that age, that good and that big of a name.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want him back..but everything else you say ,I agree with. Lets not forget that probably, despite the cosmetic frontage...Rooneys strings are still being pulled frantically by a certain Mr. Stretford.

this is the biggest truth here. most of the characteristics we are attributing to Rooney are really just down to the pressure placed on him by one of the shadiest people ever to be involved in football

The fact of the matter is- Rooney told a press conference at Goodison Park: "I never wanted to go to another club and playing for Everton means a lot to me." Judas barstool!

The man doesn't give a jot about playing for Everton, Man U or England.

He is the biggest mercenary in the history of English football who is only really concerned about wages. Not saying that this is a bad thing by the way, and it is his choice completely.

Anybody who seriously thinks he would take a drop from his ridiculously over paid salary to come here needs to keep taking the meds.

He's played for a grand total of two clubs in 12 years

Swapping Felliani for wayne rooney would raise the profile of the club no end. Apparently we were on television 16 times last season, I guess the purchase of Rooney would get us nearer the 20 mark. Also when the renegotiating of our new shirt sponsor would be worth considerably more, if Rooney was at the club. As someone said earlier, having Rooney would attract more investors. Anyway there is not a chance it will happen so onto the next rumour...........

Forgetting the wages for a minute, the transfer fee would be the problem, but I'm not going to try to guess it.

I remember when Beckham went to Real Madrid for about 37 million, wasn't it, it was claimed that they got their money back in
a few weeks with shirt sales alone. I don't know how much truth there is in that, but it's easy to believe when you crunch the numbers.
I wonder if there's anyone savvy enough at Everton to think through a deal where we could bring Rooney back and actually
make money out of it.

Forgetting the wages for a minute, the transfer fee would be the problem, but I'm not going to try to guess it.

I remember when Beckham went to Real Madrid for about 37 million, wasn't it, it was claimed that they got their money back in
a few weeks with shirt sales alone. I don't know how much truth there is in that, but it's easy to believe when you crunch the numbers.
I wonder if there's anyone savvy enough at Everton to think through a deal where we could bring Rooney back and actually
make money out of it.

Beckham went to Real, for £15 million.

Do you think we'll ever see another Wayne Rooney come through the system here at Everton?
sounds like a scary sci-fi plot. I would bet against any prem team getting another Wayne Rooney for a long time.

make money out of it.

Beckham went to Real, for £15 million.

35 million euros, I think.

Rooney would only be worth purchasing if his addition got us into the CL.

He's played for a grand total of two clubs in 12 years

I didn't say he was a journeyman Mike.

My reasoning was:
OK let's see -

1. Couldn't even see out his 1st contract with his beloved boyhood club.

2. As soon as Man City got money, he put in a transfer request at Man U as he knew they would be scared of losing him at that point and would cough up to his demands. .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back