Old Everton Pictures

Just reading about Fred Pickering his nickname at Blackburn FC was Boomer Pickering, because of his booming hard shot- He was taken from fullback to play centre forward for them - My late Father and Brother many times seen him destroy us with many goals against us one hattrick - they were rightly glad he signed for us as he got a hat trick on his debut -i think the he had scored a hattrick v us close together for Blackburn only player to score two hat tricks at Goodison with different teams his strike record was something like 77 goals in 100 games - shame he got injured -which in today's times was maybe probably not the end of his career for us....
an England international too , and still the fastest EFC player in the modern era to score 50 goals even beating Lukaku....
everton-centre-forward-fred-pickering-in-action-for-his-club-august-picture-id56862883

...looks like World Cup winner, George Cohen in the background.

I remember Fred Pickering well, he definitely knew where the net was. I think there was one game, it might have been against Kilmarnock in the Fairs Cup where he went off but came back on bandaged, a bit like Dave Hickson did.

...looks like World Cup winner, George Cohen in the background.

I remember Fred Pickering well, he definitely knew where the net was. I think there was one game, it might have been against Kilmarnock in the Fairs Cup where he went off but came back on bandaged, a bit like Dave Hickson did.
My late father, and brother craved the Catt to sign him - he was a constant thorn in our side - one away game may have been a league or a cup tie - My older brother stated it was 1-1 away at blackburn a weekday night game snow came down heavy in the last 20 minutes stuck fast on a muddy pitch - Fred was lurking on Labbys shoulder he was just about to boot it into touch, and Westy shouted for the pass back with only minutes to go - the ball got stuck in the snow , and Fred the goal predator he was was onto it like a flash and bang - My late Father stated then we needed him.....

Obvious case of ball to hand...*draws screen in the air
No VAR in those days or much argument from the players -Moggsy stated in a current book I am reading Leeds were the first team he seen arguing with the Ref trying to alter or make decisions - he stated before that a player never did that -another thing they did was to do a dirty foul, and collapse injured so two trainer would come on to sidetrack disrupt the ref s thinking process - he stated he learnt from that lol

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back