Old Everton Pictures

Everton centre forward Fred Pickering appeals for a penalty after Mike Trebilcock's shot is saved by Aston Villa full back Mick Withers with goalkeeper -
c5ac2f34ab54605084db0e081b1bcbd0.jpg
He took the laces out of it

Could you tell me more about him ? The name only rings a faint bell.
A full back who was promising for3 seasons - right back 48 appearances scored two goals one in the FA cup looked like a great prospect never quite showed the consistency needed - born in Walton local lad - went out on loan twice to Southport before transferring to York City- he made 10 caps for Northern Ireland.

A full back who was promising for3 seasons - right back 48 appearances scored two goals one in the FA cup looked like a great prospect never quite showed the consistency needed - born in Walton local lad - went out on loan twice to Southport before transferring to York City- he made 10 caps for Northern Ireland.
;)

We had a rash of promising fullback then, Archie Styles, Neil Robinson and Scott, who all, for various reasons, sometimes nothing to do with them never stayed and made the grade.
One of them, I can never remember who, was The Third Man, along with, Johnson and Whittle in the Holly Lodge mini scandal. No coincidence all 3 (whoever it was) got moved on sharpish by the powers that be.

@Joey66 you must be on that newspaper archive site, see what you can dig up, I seem tobe the only one who remembers it.

We had a rash of promising fullback then, Archie Styles, Neil Robinson and Scott, who all, for various reasons, sometimes nothing to do with them never stayed and made the grade.
One of them, I can never remember who, was The Third Man, along with, Johnson and Whittle in the Holly Lodge mini scandal. No coincidence all 3 (whoever it was) got moved on sharpish by the powers that be.

@Joey66 you must be on that newspaper archive site, see what you can dig up, I seem tobe the only one who remembers it.
Nothing much about it - found this -
The 1970 Everton Mystery is something that has baffled me for years....well ... 1st April 1970 and the title-clinching match at Goodison Park v West Brom. .... many players – such as Joe Royle, Jimmy Husband and Alan Whittle – in ..... sharpish as a result of the Holly Lodge School girls' scandal'
However the link under that heading is -
https://toffeeweb.com/season/12-13/comment/fan/23612.html
which mentions not much if anything about any scandal I feel it was just rumours , and subjection of why players left our club -i.e. the breakup of the team.
Nothing concrete the Girls school is now closed, and Redrow houses sit on the site, more controversy about that issue of it being used for houses TBH - it's all speculation - same when Bally was sold too early - rumours of gambling debts etc etc.....
check the link out and read on to see if there is any alleged remarks there, most fans heard stories nothing substantiated, no scandal reported other than rumour, and pure speculation in that era....
no newspaper reports nothing.....regarding pure speculation and rumours at the time....

Nothing much about it - found this -
The 1970 Everton Mystery is something that has baffled me for years....well ... 1st April 1970 and the title-clinching match at Goodison Park v West Brom. .... many players – such as Joe Royle, Jimmy Husband and Alan Whittle – in ..... sharpish as a result of the Holly Lodge School girls' scandal'
However the link under that heading is -
https://toffeeweb.com/season/12-13/comment/fan/23612.html
which mentions not much if anything about any scandal I feel it was just rumours , and subjection of why players left our club -i.e. the breakup of the team.
Nothing concrete the Girls school is now closed, and Redrow houses sit on the site, more controversy about that issue of it being used for houses TBH - it's all speculation - same when Bally was sold too early - rumours of gambling debts etc etc.....
check the link out and read on to see if there is any alleged remarks there, most fans heard stories nothing substantiated, no scandal reported other than rumour, and pure speculation in that era....
no newspaper reports nothing.....regarding pure speculation and rumours at the time....
It was no rumour Joey, I only took 2 papers back then, The Daily Post and The Echo and it was in one or both (being in the same group back then they'd use bits from each as fillers)
It happened...three players moved on as a result

It was no rumour Joey, I only took 2 papers back then, The Daily Post and The Echo and it was in one or both (being in the same group back then they'd use bits from each as fillers)
It happened...three players moved on as a result
Try googling it - found nothing - may be printed then yes I heard the stories maybe now that the libel laws are used its been deleted on the internet......

Everton v Derby County at Goodison Park 1971-72; Top) Johnny Morrissey flicks a shot off Colin Boulton's leg for a corner bottom; Boulton in action again to handle a Morrissey corner-
d43fc1163e972928a560b01dfc938dd5.jpg

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back