Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

His health rapidly deteriorated following the 1970 title,a lot has been made of the decline of that great side but I feel the major factor in that was due to his ill health in that period and not being well enough to arrest the slump,who knows if he had maybe stepped aside in the summer of 1970 and a younger man,maybe Clough? had come in and taken on a team that was defending the title,the course of our history may have changed and we as tipped may well have gone on to be the team of the 1970's.
Twenty years in management at that point. That's more than enough for anyone I reckon.

He did his bit.

In a way it was more impressive than Kendall, in that he built two title winning sides over a decade, whereas HK had the same core of players that won the 2 titles, ECWC and FA Cup in the space of 4/5 years.

Great book lending it to my older brother tomorrow - just reading Colin Harvey's book great so far!
It is mate. It's outstanding. I just read the chapter 'The Football Factory' abut the Bellefield upgrade to HC's specifications and his thoughts around a facility like that. He was years ahead of the game.

As said, the squeakiest wheel gets the grease in terms of publicity and coverage (big gobs like Clough, Shankly, Mourinho) but Catterick was the real deal in terms of man management and professionalism. He's someone we should celebrate a hell of a lot more than we do.

6cV3qlS.jpg

Twenty years in management at that point. That's more than enough for anyone I reckon.

He did his bit.

In a way it was more impressive than Kendall, in that he built two title winning sides over a decade, whereas HK had the same core of players that won the 2 titles, ECWC and FA Cup in the space of 4/5 years.
I only saw howie's great side but heard all about the glorious sixties from my old man and yeah it may be unpopular but I think the catt shades it purely on longevity,just one finish outside the top ten in that decade and that year we won the cup.

My older brother was at the game it all started early on when Sandy brown got studded in the chest by Johnny Giles the ref missed it so he just punched the Leeds guy over = red card - The tackle on Temple was a real leg breaker, he almost went over the wall, he was limping for ages - it was Collins first League game back at Goodison with something to prove, he was no shrinking violet either -

The later Leeds side were a good footballing team, but Cloughy was right they kicked their way to trophies Hunter, Charlton, Giles, and Bremner were just animals at times - We had Morrissey, and Sandy Brown, also Alan Ball could dish it back no problem!
our 1969/70 team imo was the purest footballing side you could wish to see!
Sniffer Clarke could be a bit snidey as well,but was very clever with it .

The Green Hoardings get me really ...apart from the really green pitch like ..Can,t say the sock colours where that important then ....cos they all got covered in mud in no time ... hence the green grass and no Mud ..what

I only saw howie's great side but heard all about the glorious sixties from my old man and yeah it may be unpopular but I think the catt shades it purely on longevity,just one finish outside the top ten in that decade and that year we won the cup.

He had hard lines in the EC too, first pulling out the holders Inter in '63, then losing on away goals in 71.

Before I read this book I'd always thought Catterick (and Everton all told pre-1980s) had back heeled Europe as a second best option....Liverpool, Leeds, Man United seeing it in equal terms. But it's clear that wasn't true.

I think the Fairs Cup one club per city rule screwed us in getting vital euro experience in that time - late 50s early 60s - and meant we were playing catch up when HC took over.

Last edited:

He did his bit.

Cloin Harvey also stated the 1970 side was a only three man midfield, where as the 80's side used four men in the midfield two great teams no doubt about it!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back