Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

lol I wonder what he would say about the wages in today's game now , and all the diving -From that article -
“I just don’t see how they can kick proper in those carpet slippers they wear these days.”lol
When he met Babe Ruth the yank could not believe he was not on a cut of the gate since they were all coming to see him. I think Ruth got a record 60 home runs the same year, Dixie got his 60 goals, or roughly the same time any way.

AGRO in the Park End - the programme states some hooligans had ripped a Crash barrier from the wooden terraces timber base at the back of the park end in a Derby game - I wonder what fans they could have been as it states someone could have been killed fortunately only two fans were injured it had happened three times before in a Derby game - NoView attachment 10948 H&S then
The RS did it a few seasons on the run iirc. Definitely remember them doing it prior to building of new stand in the back of that photo

Brian Labone with Bobby Collins in the infamous match in 1964, when both teams left the pitch for a 'cooling of period' :

PA-1341500.jpg

And a miffed fan

9718eeed-8711-4ca4-ba00-78628654fae1-2060x1236.jpeg

I'm reading the Catterick biography atm, and in there Collins is quoted as saying they were the sinned against in the first half: Brown or Gabriel sent off for near snapping Giles in half and then a Leeds player was sent off for doing Derek Temple. According to Collins though Everton got away with a lot of the criticism. From what I can gather that Everton team were no shrinking violets and could put the foot in when required.

I cant praise that Catterick book enough, btw. It's excellent.

I'm reading the Catterick biography atm, and in there Collins is quoted as saying they were the sinned against in the first half: Brown or Gabriel sent off for near snapping Giles in half and then a Leeds player was sent off for doing Derek Temple. According to Collins though Everton got away with a lot of the criticism. From what I can gather that Everton team were no shrinking violets and could put the foot in when required.

It is an excellent book Dave,what shines through is the Catt absolutely detested Revie/Leeds and how they went about things:)

I am pretty sure there was a poster on here who was at the game. It might have been earlier in this thread maybe.

It's fascinating isn't it? A much more interesting and complex character than that media whore Shankly.
His health rapidly deteriorated following the 1970 title,a lot has been made of the decline of that great side but I feel the major factor in that was due to his ill health in that period and not being well enough to arrest the slump,who knows if he had maybe stepped aside in the summer of 1970 and a younger man,maybe Clough? had come in and taken on a team that was defending the title,the course of our history may have changed and we as tipped may well have gone on to be the team of the 1970's.

I am pretty sure there was a poster on here who was at the game. It might have been earlier in this thread maybe.
My older brother was at the game it all started early on when Sandy brown got studded in the chest by Johnny Giles the ref missed it so he just punched the Leeds guy over = red card - The tackle on Temple was a real leg breaker, he almost went over the wall, he was limping for ages - it was Collins first League game back at Goodison with something to prove, he was no shrinking violet either -

The later Leeds side were a good footballing team, but Cloughy was right they kicked their way to trophies Hunter, Charlton, Giles, and Bremner were just animals at times - We had Morrissey, and Sandy Brown, also Alan Ball could dish it back no problem!
our 1969/70 team imo was the purest footballing side you could wish to see!

Great book lending it to my older brother tomorrow - just reading Colin Harvey's book great so far!

His health rapidly deteriorated following the 1970 title,a lot has been made of the decline of that great side but I feel the major factor in that was due to his ill health in that period and not being well enough to arrest the slump,who knows if he had maybe stepped aside in the summer of 1970 and a younger man,maybe Clough? had come in and taken on a team that was defending the title,the course of our history may have changed and we as tipped may well have gone on to be the team of the 1970's.
Shanks and Catts were two polar opposites - but Shanks came to EFC on retirement , he ended up a lonely soul and came into Belefield Joe Royle pulled him up one day to ask him , and he typically stated it was only so his dog could pee on Bellfield turf!
later He helped and got the Catts in the Managers hall of fame he went mad when we won the league in 1970 and Don Revie was given Manager of the year!
He stated HC should have won it!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back