Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

A couple of hundred Celts travelled from Glasgow to support Everton that night, a 600 mile round journey in the middle of the week. Toffees and hoops partied like family that night, all around Goodison there were people with Everton/Celtic bobble hats on. Thirteen years later Everton play rangers in Dave Watson's testimonial. rangers fans attacking Everton fans on Goodison road, and you want to 'hammer' Celtic fans off the park. If you were at the semi-final, and I also see your Clash ticket, ( a band I seen seven or eight times) you most certainly cant be a youngster, I can only thank god that your mindset is very much in the minority among the over twenty fives that attend Everton games. I love Celtic and Everton but the GOT song has been sung at Celtic park since the very early sixties and is actually called the Celtic song- Hail Hail the Celts are here, but its also my joint favourite Everton song along with the royal blue Mersey. Anyway I hope one day you will loose your want to fight with Celtic or any other fans. Whenever I feel angry I listen to Pixies album Surfer Rosa track 7. ps. In the seventies and eighties, 'We are sailing' was the song that got the scarves aloft in the jungle, ynwa was only sung periodically. It wasn't until the Hillsborough disaster memorial game in 1989 that it started getting sung every game.
I didnt want to hammer anybody, i was replying to Reidy who said there would have been carnage as there was when they played Man Unt, and i saying they would have got more than they bargained for in Rotterdam if they had tried that,and am glad we played rapid instead because it was a good day all around.
I had a Celtic and Everton bobble hat myself at the time, looked out for there results till i went to the testimonial up there the 2-2 game and had to listen to we hate the English for about 15 minutes of the game, and there fans trying it on , with some of are fans coming out of the stand, admittedly they were in a minority as most we had been in contact with during the day were decent people, we were in two pubs right by the jungle no problem at all, but it finished me from any affinity i had with them, being RC i had favoured them over Rangers , had even been up to Anfield to see them play the rs.
Rangers fans at Goodision for the Watson game seemed to be from all over the Uk and some were intent on trouble, till they got it, liked to start it but couldnt back it it up, outside the Brick, and later on in goodision rd just did a runner till the coppers showed up, not my favourite club at all, dont like the bigotry of either side as i have got older and havnt any time for either of them, saying that have got mates from both clubs who dont go in for any of it just the football, so its not all of them.
Over the years i have seen Fans of both clubs and others at are games and nobody has bothered them at all so long as the just have a good day out.

Last edited:
This photo reminds me of that line from Chinatown: 'who's the midget?'

Collins may have been a midget in feet and inches, but as a player and a hard man he was 6 ft 6in.

In my very first game I saw him square up to a Grock of a WBA centre half, in the classic 'C U Jimmy' mode, the big fella had the sense to walk away.

In an era where you were finished at 30 ( not that it's changed much now ) Bobby was still a force at 37 and was only ruled out when some Italian broke his thigh ( the biggest bone in the body ) in 2 places

True Blue Legend

Collins may have been a midget in feet and inches, but as a player and a hard man he was 6 ft 6in.

In my very first game I saw him square up to a Grock of a WBA centre half, in the classic 'C U Jimmy' mode, the big fella had the sense to walk away.

In an era where you were finished at 30 ( not that it's changed much now ) Bobby was still a force at 37 and was only ruled out when some Italian broke his thigh ( the biggest bone in the body ) in 2 places

True Blue Legend
I just missed seeing him as HC had sold him - My older Brother , and late father reckon he was hard majestic, and scored goals, Dennis stevens was bought expensively to replace him He was a very good player , but not as the calibre of Bobby Collins, I asked my older Brother who seen Collins, and Bally and asked him to compare!
He stated totally different styles, but effective with Bally having the edge in speed, and being a total box to box midfielder, he rated Collins so high as the team he was in was near the bottom four - the next season we were up near the top all down to him!
HC dropped two blunders selling them both too early -Labby stated that HC was great at buying a top player , but sold two far too early in their careers!
My guess it was Collins , and Bally!

Our GOT goes back to the early 60s, then went to a pub song til the mid 80s when it came back in. When you watch back on the Villa 84 Milk Cup away match and the Anfield Sharp derby you can hear it getting sung.

Watching back on the Rotterdam match I don't remember hearing GOT but you can actually hear Fields of Athenry getting sung later on it the first half. Probably the Celtic version but it could've been the Everton Rangers version.

No doubt Individually excellent as our Scottish cousins are, this whole rangers / celtic thing is (religiously ) tainted, I really think we ought to swerve it.

No doubt Individually excellent as our Scottish cousins are, this whole rangers / celtic thing is (religiously ) tainted, I really think we ought to swerve it.

As far as I know Everton have kept themselves out of the religious side, I don't know all of them but the old Everton/old firm songs I do know all replace religious content with words about football or about kicking kopites heads in!

I just missed seeing him as HC had sold him - My older Brother , and late father reckon he was hard majestic, and scored goals, Dennis stevens was bought expensively to replace him He was a very good player , but not as the calibre of Bobby Collins, I asked my older Brother who seen Collins, and Bally and asked him to compare!
He stated totally different styles, but effective with Bally having the edge in speed, and being a total box to box midfielder, he rated Collins so high as the team he was in was near the bottom four - the next season we were up near the top all down to him!
HC dropped two blunders selling them both too early -Labby stated that HC was great at buying a top player , but sold two far too early in their careers!
My guess it was Collins , and Bally!

Harry was what he was, a product of his times, the 40's and 50's. Great may have been his triumphs but he had a few faults, as do we all.

He was deep into the 'players are finished by 30-ish' idea and while in some cases, even now, this is true...see Gravesen, Osman Pienaar, etc.
The game was changing. People were changing, nutrition was changing.
e.g.; Wingers were playing past 30, using their head to save their feet, turning into centre mid fielders / No.10's. Charlton, Paine, Callaghan, Giles etc.
Ball was sold with this in mind, along with the double your money aspect and rumours of personal problems ( liked a bet )

He also had problems with players 'who knew their own mind' aka talked back to him.( the very thing that gave them an
edge, made them special, that take no s**t attitude ) Like Collins, Vernon, Ball, Young, Gabriel and others

IMO Young could've played a deeper role, this No. 10 as is.

Anyway that was Harry, you took the rough with the smooth...and how smooth it was...we should be so smooth now.

I can remember my late father going to,the home leg of the champions of Scotland Rangers v the Champions of England us - it was an evening game at Goodison - I begged him to take me - He was having none of it - he came back in total shock as he was entering the Bullins road paddock - A mini riot of opposing fans took place - he told me a guy had an iron bar smashed over his head - It was a big gate he just got in - he told me it was a good job I never went a fan stubbed his ciggie on a mounted police mans horse which went berserk, and trod on fans, He was a hard man , and he was glad to come home in one piece!

2pPBmT7.png

Fred Pickering scoring for us in the derby in 1964.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back