Old Everton Pictures

Worst experience I had experienced at Villa park semi-final in the Holt end - coach held up on the M6 - got there 15 minutes late some Blues fans had kicked in the exit wooden doors in at the top of the Holt end - My older brother had two tickets for another entrance in the Holt end panicked as we were so late - we piled in - crushing fans being sick in the crush -it was that packed we could not get a spec - missed a crap defeat anyway , but it was dangerous - the only time I felt unsafe at 16 years old of any game I attended.......
What year was this? 68? can't remember us losing any other semi at Villa Park.

What year was this? 68? can't remember us losing any other semi at Villa Park.
V City 1969.... they got a late goal in a drab game I did not see...but I was there - my older brother who was over 6ft grabbed hold of me, and we ran in to the back of the fans we just bounced straight back onto the aisle the area at the back fans were getting crushed I saw one guy in the aisle get vomit all over him - sod that I thought just sat on a step at the back till 8 minutes from the end as we got over the back of Villa park past the City end to the big Coach car park with minutes to go we heard a roar a coach door was open a driver slumped over his coach wheel - My brother asked they've scored - yep what an awful day..... crushed sick everywhere My brother still had his tickets in his pocket 15 minutes late set off in good time on the Home James doh -

S Melledew ... been mentioned before the one that went away.........stood next to Roger Kenyon -View attachment 106701
I remember that guy. Think that he played a blinder for Rochdale against Everton in a pre-season friendly. Signed for Everton on the strength of that. And never played a game for us. Mind reading an article about him signing for us in one of those football magazines. A big future was predicted. But not to be. It just didn't work out for him. A strange signing though on looking back on it.

6th January 1968. Everton centre half Brian Labone proves too strong for Wolves'… in a 3-1 win for us I was stood in the wolves' south bank Kop my favourite away end -
View attachment 106707
Big Derek Dougan on the receiving end. Saw him a few times playing for N.Ireland. I was only a youngster. But you could see that Dougan was a big presence. He could put himself about. And was a wee bit crazy as well.
Went into politics here in N.Ireland. Now that was crazy.
Stood for to become a member of the stormont government . And then I think the European parliament. Failed both times.
Good footballer though......imo.

Alex Young adorned with a banner in the 1966 cup final at Wembley -
GVBANNER.webp

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back