Old Everton Pictures

Compared to the other thugs they had he was a couple of degrees less detestable. Wouldn't underestimate wee Bobby in that moment. He was no angel and tended to deliver more than he received lol
Roy Vernon on him when he played & lifted the team for 6th from the bottom to 4th from the top - I would hate to play against Bobby Collins what an engine plus he was sly in the tackle - plus what an engine on him thank goodness he plays for us..... top top player.....

I also asked my older brother about comparison of wee Bobby Collins and Little Curly Alan Ball - two totally different style of players but very effective - the Catt was mad to sell them on in both eras -

1604413158611.webp

1604413242278.webp

I also asked my older brother about comparison of wee Bobby Collins and Little Curly Alan Ball - two totally different style of players but very effective - the Catt was mad to sell them on in both eras -

View attachment 106829
View attachment 106831

Catterick was a man who had ultimate belief in his own decision making. Not universally liked by the players, to say the least, under his charge. But he got them playing for the cause. Woe betide you if you got in his face over even the tiniest sleight. Unless you were Bernie Wright of course, then Catt disappeared under his desk lol

Catterick was a man who had ultimate belief in his own decision making. Not universally liked by the players, to say the least, under his charge. But he got them playing for the cause. Woe betide you if you got in his face over even the tiniest sleight. Unless you were Bernie Wright of course, then Catt disappeared under his desk lol
Going back to how ruthless the Catt was - Roy Vernon was captain & Chico Scott who had a great game MOTM - was bragging about his fantastic performance ... Roy Vernon seen the Catt entered the dressing room unseen by Chico SH SH he tried to warn Chic Scott -
Roy Vernon warned him how unwise it was to boast in front of the Catt - Oh it will be Ok it wasn't he was dropped the next game -
He asked his Captain why the Catt do that ? Roy smiled, and stated you will try even harder now next game you play in .......
The Catt was ruthless......

Going back to how ruthless the Catt was - Roy Vernon was captain & Chico Scott who had a great game MOTM - was bragging about his fantastic performance ... Roy Vernon seen the Catt entered the dressing room unseen by Chico SH SH he tried to warn Chic Scott -
Roy Vernon warned him how unwise it was to boast in front of the Catt - Oh it will be Ok it wasn't he was dropped the next game -
He asked his Captain why the Catt do that ? Roy smiled, and stated you will try even harder now next game you play in .......
The Catt was ruthless......

It makes you wonder how many Everton players were bothered by the pasting he took on a freezing afternoon at Bloomfield road in January 66 after a defeat. I'd say not many lol

Joey, these pictures are a treasure, thank you for sharing.
not sure how much they mean to the younger guys who may not recognise the players, but they definitely cheer up an old fella like me in difficult times.
Her indoors is not pleased as books on old Everton keep arriving in the post - plus I now get e-mailed with boards of old photos ......it keeps me occupied thanks for your appreciation ;)

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back