Old Everton Pictures

18th April 1987, Division 1, Aston Villa 0 v Everton 1, Peter Reid, Everton, Peter Reid won 13 England international caps between 1985-1988 what a great buy from Bolton he really was -
1605057007223.webp

No, one of John Moores' first moves was to get rid of Ian Buchan and appoint Everton's first proper manager, John Carey.
Cheers Jeff that makes sense about John Moores, Did Theo Kelly leave Everton possibly retire, after his spell in charge of the team finished in 1948 and first a committee of directors took over the running of the team before Cliff Britton was appointed as the first proper post war manager in 1951? Reading on wiki he reverted to being club secretary after 1948 so may still have been there when Buchan appointed (b 1896 so only 60ish in 1956)

I know Kelly was principally an administrator and reading he was seriously disliked for some of his treatment of our star players, and especially in the transfer market where he sold some big players and in which we were only really sellers. To his credit he guided us through the difficult war years and apparently left us in a good financial position.

Last edited:
Cheers Jeff that makes sense about John Moores, Did Theo Kelly leave Everton possibly retire, after his spell in charge of the team finished in 1948 and first a committee of directors took over the running of the team before Cliff Britton was appointed as the first proper post war manager in 1951? Reading on wiki he reverted to being club secretary after 1948 so may still have been there when Buchan appointed (b 1896 so only 60ish in 1956)

I know Kelly was principally an administrator and reading he was seriously disliked for some of his treatment of our star players, and especially in the transfer market where he sold some big players and in which we were only really sellers. To his credit he guided us through the difficult war years and apparently left us in a good financial position.
I know of Theo Kelly but he was a bit before my time and I don't know much about him. I said that Carey was our first 'proper' manager, but I'd forgotten
about Cliff Britton. Managers as we know them today weren't employed much in those days.

Britton was probably the man in charge when my grandad started taking me to Goodison Park when I was a little lad.

My love affair with EFC lives on.

I know of Theo Kelly but he was a bit before my time and I don't know much about him. I said that Carey was our first 'proper' manager, but I'd forgotten
about Cliff Britton. Managers as we know them today weren't employed much in those days.

Britton was probably the man in charge when my grandad started taking me to Goodison Park when I was a little lad.

My love affair with EFC lives on.

Me too, although it's been tough supporting them for much of it :D

Theo Kelly died in 1964 before I was born although I learned of him from my grandad who was a big fan of Tommy Lawton and didn't have much time for Kelly. John Moores brought us into the 20th century appointing Carey and then ruthlessly replacing him with Catterick.

Theo Kelly indeed was not popular - before plus after the war - Joe Mercer begged to leave -
TG Jones fell out with our club for ever, blamed for fiening injury - even when TG was invited to the hall of fame ate his lunch & cleared off back to Wales before giving a speech many, many years later the wounds just would not heal ...... Our club treated The Prince of Centre halves poorly - Dixie Dean predicted what would happen upon leaving ....... Yes he was a miser for all the wrong reasons - Theo Kelly imo of what I have read in all my books ........had a bad habit of upsetting top players asking Joe Mercer to play Centre Half when TG was completely banished.......by him!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back