Old Everton Pictures

31st August 1965 Derek Temple watches as Fred Pickering opens the scoring against Sheffield Wednesday in a 5-1 win for the blues - The GV got a hat trick and Fred boomer Pickering got the other two goals -
View attachment 107919
Joey, where tf did you get this Boomer shight from...it must've been from one of his Wool Clubs...(or The Park End...same difference tbh)
I never once heard anybody in my part of the Gwladys St (GS4 now) use it

Howard Kendall’s exciting new summer signings for Everton in 1981. Magnificent 7 { Alan Biley missing stomach upset -
Big Nev the most crucial signing -
Micky Thomas was a decent little player...madder than a cut snake though, thought he was bigger than the team, iirc, wouldn't play a comeback game in the reserves, wanted to go straight back in the 1st team.
When he was older than Gods dog...in footballing years, he scored a cracker free kick for Wrexham Vs the arse...poor wall tbh, but still a cracker.
@DarioTerracota any clips??

1605348870836.webp

tbh, they were on the way down, the abolition of the maximum wage was starting to kick in. This did for all of the...no offence...smaller Lancs Clubs
No offence taken Degsy but you are a bit mixed up. I am a true royal blue, born and bred. I happen now to live in Burnley. I remember those games in the 60s and Burnley were up there as were Spurs, our club was just starting to really get in.

No offence taken Degsy but you are a bit mixed up. I am a true royal blue, born and bred. I happen now to live in Burnley. I remember those games in the 60s and Burnley were up there as were Spurs, our club was just starting to really get in.
All the big Lancashire clubs were up ther in that era - why the big Mill owners cash was being pumped in to those clubs indeed on the football leagues construction they were the powerful teams as today money is everything in football ........
As it was in its conception on a smaller scale than now , but still as efficient, and yes Burnley were a top club - history telll you what type of top players they have produced over the years - EFC should know as we have bought so many players from them from the days of Tommy Lawton onwards ......Martin Dobson, and Trevor Stephen spring to mind ...
Early 1960's Burnley were a force .....

No not mixed up, mayhap just too brief in my description, I never meant to insinuate they were a spent force...far from it.
But they peaked in 59-60 winning the league...just before the the Maximum Wage was abolished in Jan 1961.
This swung the momentum to teams in Cities with big populations and hence big gate receipts...not over night obviously
Though tbh, only Ipswich under Alf Ramsey did it with a cheap squad well managed...and maybe Clough with Derby...and Forest

Burnley were always a tough team, well managed. Bob Lord set up an Academy to bring them in and sell them on...the same deal that many think Brands invented at Ajax.
But don't take my just word for it...

"When we won the championship in 1960 the population was only 78,000, which makes it the smallest town or city to host a top division winning side. I don’t think that record will ever be beaten,” says Quelch.

“It was only sustained by the artificially level playing field that they had in those days, before the abolition of the maximum wage.

“They were a really leading edge club. That was the irony, that you had a decaying mill town and then you had one of the brightest exponents of modern football, not only in the country but on the continent.”

"Burnley continued to compete in the upper echelons of the English league, but by the mid-Sixties they were stagnating.
Fan favourite Jimmy MacIlroy was sold to Stoke in 1963 for £25,000, to, as we found out years later, balance the books at the time.
Between 1971 and 1985 there would be five relegations and two promotions across four divisions."

Well done Joey. What a top, top striker he was. He was also a chain smoker and liked his booze. You would find him most evenings at the Oddspot club in Bold street. I know because mi Da used to go there with a friend who worked there and frequently met up with Roy and Alex.
I did see him, but I was only 6 years old in the championship season he was some player often overlooked because of his strike partner The GV ... his forte was not just pens his other great thing was taking the ball past the keeper to slot home ..... If he had not smoked his speed over 12 yards for it to be all over the pitch he would have imo been up there higher than Law & Greaves ...he was that good smoking 60 per day obviously held him back he was a chain smoker ......
His autobiography which I sponsored is a must for any avid blues fan The Blue Dragon - he only ever missed one pen for us taking so many and that was a scuffed shot v Spurs - the rest were unstoppable - to think he used to point & tell the opposition keeper where he was going to place the ball in which corner of the net, & succeed with such precision says it all about him ...
As for that club he frequented when Stoke came in for him to sound him out for a transfer they could not find him they telephoned the Catt & he pointed them towards that club - the deal was done in the Gents toilet there & then lol

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back