Old Everton Pictures

No not mixed up, mayhap just too brief in my description, I never meant to insinuate they were a spent force...far from it.
But they peaked in 59-60 winning the league...just before the the Maximum Wage was abolished in Jan 1961.
This swung the momentum to teams in Cities with big populations and hence big gate receipts...not over night obviously
Though tbh, only Ipswich under Alf Ramsey did it with a cheap squad well managed...and maybe Clough with Derby...and Forest

Burnley were always a tough team, well managed. Bob Lord set up an Academy to bring them in and sell them on...the same deal that many think Brands invented at Ajax.
But don't take my just word for it...

"When we won the championship in 1960 the population was only 78,000, which makes it the smallest town or city to host a top division winning side. I don’t think that record will ever be beaten,” says Quelch.

“It was only sustained by the artificially level playing field that they had in those days, before the abolition of the maximum wage.

“They were a really leading edge club. That was the irony, that you had a decaying mill town and then you had one of the brightest exponents of modern football, not only in the country but on the continent.”

"Burnley continued to compete in the upper echelons of the English league, but by the mid-Sixties they were stagnating.
Fan favourite Jimmy MacIlroy was sold to Stoke in 1963 for £25,000, to, as we found out years later, balance the books at the time.
Between 1971 and 1985 there would be five relegations and two promotions across four divisions."
That's a good point, but Liverpool used to reside in Lancashire - Blackburn Rovers have won the premiership with the steel magnet who funded them, other than Manchester who also used to reside in Lancashire swept the Premiership - its took how many years plus cash for the other lot to win the prem over the park, at the end of the day it's about finance plus the know how. To blend a team of stars to win the prem now - Leicester have been the only exception to shock Premiership winners recently, yet they do have big ownership, but nowhere near the powers of the top four ......
In my day there was at leat 6-8 teams who had a chance at the start of each season of winning the league - this season has started as such ...there is a long way to go ......

Joey, where tf did you get this Boomer shight from...it must've been from one of his Wool Clubs...(or The Park End...same difference tbh)
I never once heard anybody in my part of the Gwladys St (GS4 now) use it
Reading my expansive book collection Boomer was his nickname by the players from that he hit the ball that hard the noise sounded like a boom - hence his nickname given to him., by his teammates so the nickname it's not shiat as you put it.....
He was a top centre forward TBH we bought him as the Catt always liked a big no 9 plus Boomer Pickering scored a hell of a lot of goals against us - converted full back at Blackburn Rovers his scoring record his stats for us are phenomenal - it's a shame his knee injury which could have been fixed now maybe could not be fixed at his time with us - I asked my older brother about his around game the other night - he stated he had everything bar a bit of speed, but his other many attributes compensated for that - as his goal scoring record for us proved - he only recently lost his top scorer title Europe for us recently for instance ......plus in the day it was a home & away affair not a mini league as it is now.....
The nickname was from his teammates so in those days & media never reached the terraces - it was a teammate thing at Blackburn, and with us ....

Raymon Wilson -
1605360841046.webp

I did see him, but I was only 6 years old in the championship season he was some player often overlooked because of his strike partner The GV ... his forte was not just pens his other great thing was taking the ball past the keeper to slot home ..... If he had not smoked his speed over 12 yards for it to be all over the pitch he would have imo been up there higher than Law & Greaves ...he was that good smoking 60 per day obviously held him back he was a chain smoker ......
His autobiography which I sponsored is a must for any avid blues fan The Blue Dragon - he only ever missed one pen for us taking so many and that was a scuffed shot v Spurs - the rest were unstoppable - to think he used to point & tell the opposition keeper where he was going to place the ball in which corner of the net, & succeed with such precision says it all about him ...
As for that club he frequented when Stoke came in for him to sound him out for a transfer they could not find him they telephoned the Catt & he pointed them towards that club - the deal was done in the Gents toilet there & then lol
He was deadly, Royston, Denis Law, Jimmy Greaves and Roger Hunt were all pure goal scorers in an era when defenders were allowed to do just about anything, short of killing you, without being sent off.

...In my day there was at leat 6-8 teams who had a chance at the start of each season of winning the league - this season has started as such ...there is a long way to go ......
That may have been so but none of them were from 'Proper' Lancashire.
Manchester not so much but the city of liverpool while being technically 'IN' Lancs, was not 'Of' Lancs
And quite right Blackburn won the league using Walkers money...the key word being money M.O.N.E.Y.
The abolition of the maximum wage, took away the artificially level (money) playing field that allowed the smaller Lancs clubs to survive
tbh, there were other on field factors, like tom finney retiring for Preston, like selling your best forward to everton or a polio epidemic in Blackburn which kept supporters away and drained local morale
Preston relegated 1961
Bolton relegated 1964
Blackburn relegated 1966
Blackpool relegated 1967 and 71
Burnley relegated 1971
The lack of a maximum wage slowly tilted the playing field then
just like the sky and the Champions League slowly but ever increasingly have tilted it now

That may have been so but none of them were from 'Proper' Lancashire.
Manchester not so much but the city of liverpool while being technically 'IN' Lancs, was not 'Of' Lancs
And quite right Blackburn won the league using Walkers money...the key word being money M.O.N.E.Y.
The abolition of the maximum wage, took away the artificially level (money) playing field that allowed the smaller Lancs clubs to survive
tbh, there were other on field factors, like tom finney retiring for Preston, like selling your best forward to everton or a polio epidemic in Blackburn which kept supporters away and drained local morale
Preston relegated 1961
Bolton relegated 1964
Blackburn relegated 1966
Blackpool relegated 1967 and 71
Burnley relegated 1971
The lack of a maximum wage slowly tilted the playing field then
just like the sky and the Champions League slowly but ever increasingly have tilted it now
I agreed with all that no doubts about it ....but Lancashire we were in so much Lancashire County Council did everything administratively and looked after the highways - schools etc etc as I was in Local government on leaving School & I know for a fact Liverpool was part of Lancashire not in a loose way as you define, but in a big way as was Wigan, Bolton. St Helens, Whiston, Manchester, Preston etc etc It was a massive organisation in its era ..... I can remember Lancashire being on my address up to 1974 I think then reorganisation came ....then the new boundaries were set for good .....

Well researched Joey. I recall only one pen missed. The thing about his pens and goals they were all daisy cutters never lofted, well I cannot recall any that were.
They were arrowed into the bottom corner with such a pace the Keeper sometimes never bothered to dive .... his arrogance of him pointing to which corner it was going I sadly never sent, but the fact he converted nearly 100% went back to his school playing days he was a penalty taker from day one...
The fable story if true we missed signing him from Connah's key nomads as a young promising teenager in North Wales from day one when our scout talked him to sign for us!
Roy agreed, but needed his parents to sign the registration forms gave directions our scout got lost on a dark night, & the Blackburn Rovers scout at the same game did not ...

It might have been an Everton That moment if true...... as Merseyside was easier to travel to for Roy .... It was a rumour never proven - we signed him later for £80, 000....
John Carey words to the Blackburn board were on joining us were never sell Roy Vernon ....

Yet Carey as Everton manager with the backing of John Moors did not hesitate in breaking his pledge by going back to sign Roy Vernon he needed him desperately, as his side were stalling ......

The squad in 1953/54 captained by Peter Farrell gaining promotion back into the top league the old Division One - the great news was as were promoted - the team over the park were relegated ..... to Division Two - they stayed there for a good while too......
1605368057129.webp

I agreed with all that no doubts about it ....but Lancashire we were in so much Lancashire County Council did everything administratively and looked after the highways - schools etc etc as I was in Local government on leaving School & I know for a fact Liverpool was part of Lancashire not in a loose way as you define, but in a big way as was Wigan, Bolton. St Helens, Whiston, Manchester, Preston etc etc It was a massive organisation in its era ..... I can remember Lancashire being on my address up to 1974 I think then reorganisation came ....then the new boundaries were set for good .....

I always look back on that, although I was a scouser, I was also Lancastrian.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back