Old Everton Pictures

Johnny Morrissey roughing up Newcastle United's keeper Willie McFaul, with a nice elbow during a league fixture held at Goodison Park in 1968 in a 1-0 win HK the scorer for us -

1611621858862.webp

I think the Lower Gwladys had a standing limit of 14,000 in the 80s after reductions then to meet new H&S regulations and maybe a few thousand more in the 70s and before. Going back to the old Goodison Rd terrace, I'd say that was nearly half as big again as the Lower Gwladys. Was there an official limit then?
Before the Chords behind the goals In the 60s I don't think there was.
iirc, in The Gwladys there were simple turnstile counters linked to a bell to give a Full Up...no doubt easily muted or over-ridable, due the to the cash, aka, fiddle, nature of the whole operation...hence the weekly joke with the announced attendances.
Which again iirc, they only started announcing post game once the new stand was built...*taps nose, wink wink say no more etc
Allegedly, there would be 2 'capacity' figures.
1) as many as you can get in
2) what you actually declare.
2a) and a totally unrelated amount that actually went in the bank

Edit; There a story about Clough at Derby, they had that much cash money after a cup tie and with tickets for the mid week replay. They had to get some apprentices in to carry all the coins and brush up all the notes into many bin bags.
One of which Cloughie took home...if it wasn't for me young man there'd be no 'kin sacks.
He reluctantly brought it back under protest

Last edited:

Before the Chords behind the goals In the 60s I don't think there was.
iirc, in The Gwladys there were simple turnstile counters linked to a bell to give a Full Up...no doubt easily muted or over-ridable, due the to the cash, aka, fiddle, nature of the whole operation...hence the weekly joke with the announced attendances.
Which again iirc, they only started announcing post game once the new stand was built...*taps nose, wink wink say no more etc
Allegedly, there would be 2 'capacity' figures.
1) as many as you can get in
2) what you actually declare.
2a) and a totally unrelated amount that actually went in the bank
Many a time at the turnstiles kids were lifted over them by parents & friends without the click of the turnstile.... the gates were massive in the early to mid 1960's so cramped on the terraces your hands were stuck in your pockets - plus urine used to stream down the aisles...... a full house was a full house sometimes fans locked outside waiting to see the last ten minutes when the exit doors opened -

The Gladwys st -standing days - notice the two tiers, the back part going right under the roof stand , and the footpath leading to the goal standing are across, and the standing fans on the walls and barriers holding on to post! -

1611623409976.webp

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back