Old Everton Pictures

the great Bob Latchford 1978 Easter Sunday. He scored two at Old T 2-1. I was there.
s-manchester-uniteds-gordon-mcqueen-about-to-tackle-evertons-bob-picture-id78948048

70 Vs 85, neck and neck for me, the way I separate them is thus;

If they played best of say 39 frames of snooker it would go 19-20 to '85

'70 would score a bag load of 147's
'85 would win the close frames, those with snookers and black ball finishes, the 52-56pts. frames

they just hated losing
All 3 teams were superb. 63 70 85.

Perhaps one way to look at it is to regard the individual players and also the margin and measure if the achievement. I think 63 was a great side with some fine players but - like 70 both sides were primed to succeed - coming on the back of decent seasons. 85 was a wonderful turn around (though not quite on the scale of a Leicester City many thought we wouldn't last)

Perhaps it grieves me to say it as rose (blue?) tinted specs make me feel the 63 and 70 teams better (and maybe better to watch) but the 85 side is generally regarded 1 to 11 to have had many more greats or near greats - Nev Rat Reid Sheedy Sharp Gray Steven for starters.

1970 you'd have to be generous to extend the status of great beyond the Holy Trinity Royle and Labby and 1963 perhaps only Kay Vernon Young Labone.... Allowing any memory lapses of course.

All 3 teams were superb. 63 70 85.

Perhaps one way to look at it is to regard the individual players and also the margin and measure if the achievement. I think 63 was a great side with some fine players but - like 70 both sides were primed to succeed - coming on the back of decent seasons. 85 was a wonderful turn around (though not quite on the scale of a Leicester City many thought we wouldn't last)

Perhaps it grieves me to say it as rose (blue?) tinted specs make me feel the 63 and 70 teams better (and maybe better to watch) but the 85 side is generally regarded 1 to 11 to have had many more greats or near greats - Nev Rat Reid Sheedy Sharp Gray Steven for starters.

1970 you'd have to be generous to extend the status of great beyond the Holy Trinity Royle and Labby and 1963 perhaps only Kay Vernon Young Labone.... Allowing any memory lapses of course.
Colin Harvey recons the The 1969'70 team was the classiest as it only had three in midfield!

Lets not forget the class of one John Hurst played in all 42 league games and 4 of the 5 cup games we had.
Or the trickery of one Johnny Morrisey played in 41 league games and 4 of the 5 cup games.
Also one Gordon West all 42 league and all 5 cup games in that Glorious season 1969/70.
It was a complete football team that played it out from the back with such speed, one striker upfront, in my hero, and John Hurst as you mention fans rave about Stones this guy was a hell of a defender, and chipped in with vital goals, linking with the midfield bursting through into areas a twin centre back would never be seen today as a former foreward he had a great shot, and was great in the air too;)

The ball Harvey and Kendall team for me wins it as they had a three man midfield with two cracking out and out wingers in Moggsy , and Husband!

1970; P42 W29 D8 L5 F72 A32 G Ave 2.11, GD 40. Pts @2per game 66, @3per game 95

1985; P42 W28 D6 L8 F88 A43 G Ave 2.04, GD 45. Pts @2 per game 64 @3per game 90

There are the bare bones record...but neither team had to play the other and that was the question, who was better.

Now I like you, 'prefer' the 1970 version and given 1 free go in the TARDIS I would watch the 1970 team over the 85 team

But the question was who was better...well yes we'll never know...but

the stats 'might' indicate 1970 at a quick look, but stats, like possession % do not tell the full story.

like for instance the 85 side effectively gave everybody a 2 game start. and the 2 teams played a different formation and manner so you might have a rock paper scissors thing going on where one or the other might at any given time cancel out the other on the day.

When I first thought about who would win/was the better between the 2, not who I liked best, I ranked the 4 league title teams I had seen like a horse race

1st(deadheat/photo) 70 - 85

3rd (by a neck ) 63

4th (half a length) 87

That was no good, which was why I went the snooker method

Thus IMHO it is very very close, but I gave it to the 85 team and what swayed me was the fact that they just seem to dislike losing a little more.

but as a purist I would watch 1970 all day long.

Last edited:
1970; P42 W29 D8 L5 F72 A32 G Ave 2.11, GD 40. Pts @2per game 66, @3per game 95

1985; P42 W28 D6 L8 F88 A43 G Ave 2.04, GD 45. Pts @2 per game 64 @3per game 90

There are the bare bones record...but neither team had to play the other and that was the question, who was better.

Now I like you, 'prefer' the 1970 version and given 1 free go in the TARDIS I would watch the 1970 team over the 85 team

But the question was who was better...well yes we'll never know...but

the stats 'might' indicate 1970 at a quick look, but stats, like possession % do not tell the full story.

like for instance the 85 side effectively gave everybody a 2 game start. and the 2 teams played a different formation and manner so you might have a rock paper scissors thing going on where one or the other might at any given time cancel out the other on the day.

When I first thought about who would win/was the better between the 2, not who I liked best, I ranked the 4 league title teams I had seen like a horse race

1st(deadheat/photo) 70 - 85

3rd (by a neck ) 63

4th (half a length) 87
so that was no good which was why I went the snooker method

So IMHO it is very very close but I gave it to the 85 team and what swayed me was the fact that they just seem to dislike losing a little more.

but as a purist I would watch 1970 all day long.

.....Kendall asked Harvey who was the better of the two sides and Harvey said the 1970 team would win 6-0. Who are we to argue with the two men centrally involved in both.

.....Kendall asked Harvey who was the better of the two sides and Harvey said the 1970 team would win 6-0. Who are we to argue with the two men centrally involved in both.

I respect his opinion, but retain mine, but what else is he going to say, I'd be the same, we were much better than this lot, I'd run rings round them etc etc.
#the older I get, the better I was.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back