Old Everton Pictures

k5fWm0.jpg

Goodison Park during reconstruction of the Main Stand early 1970s

When the rebuilt main stand was completed in 1971 how well received was it by the fans at the time. Did the atmosphere generated change significantly due to the limited standing area on that side of the ground.
Seems to me that the issue with restricted views increased as a result of the rebuild although there was cosiderable obstruction from the upper stand pre 1969.

When the rebuilt main stand was completed in 1971 how well received was it by the fans at the time. Did the atmosphere generated change significantly due to the limited standing area on that side of the ground.
Seems to me that the issue with restricted views increased as a result of the rebuild although there was cosiderable obstruction from the upper stand pre 1969.
The physical size of the stand was pretty imposing as were the two tiers and especially the escalators needed to get to the top all of which were new and modern. The blocked views by the new big square pillars were moaned about straight away by everyone I remember near me in my new seat. It was exciting to be in the front few rows because you were in a seat that felt nearer the pitch but the need to keep on stretching neck either side of the pillars was an immediate downer.

The physical size of the stand was pretty imposing as were the two tiers and especially the escalators needed to get to the top all of which were new and modern. The blocked views by the new big square pillars were moaned about straight away by everyone I remember near me in my new seat. It was exciting to be in the front few rows because you were in a seat that felt nearer the pitch but the need to keep on stretching neck either side of the pillars was an immediate downer.
Thanks for replying. I've often wondered why it was such a poorly designed rebuild at the time so many of the seats with either a poorly obstructed or restricted view which continues today to be an issue.
Looking back at some other rebuilds done during the early 70s, the East Stand at Stamford Bridge was rebuilt for the start of the 1974 season. A three tier stand with a 11K capacity with no restricted views.
There must have been reasons for our Main Stand to be rebuilt the way it was I guess but I can't help thinking an opportunity missed not to get it right first time. I felt the same about the Park End rebuild years later which should surely have been a two tier design with some corporate hospitality boxes etc.

vuT9Rw.jpg

Main Stand during redevelopment 1970

Fantastic pics of the main stand being built. Just shows what a shame and missed opportunity this was though, the way it was built with all the pillars was poor and on the cheap. Chelsea built their triple decker east stand just a couple of years later and showed how to do it properly.

Thanks for replying. I've often wondered why it was such a poorly designed rebuild at the time so many of the seats with either a poorly obstructed or restricted view which continues today to be an issue.
Looking back at some other rebuilds done during the early 70s, the East Stand at Stamford Bridge was rebuilt for the start of the 1974 season. A three tier stand with a 11K capacity with no restricted views.
There must have been reasons for our Main Stand to be rebuilt the way it was I guess but I can't help thinking an opportunity missed not to get it right first time. I felt the same about the Park End rebuild years later which should surely have been a two tier design with some corporate hospitality boxes etc.
Exactly right mate. As an 11 year old I was carried away by the newness of it all, we were champions and it all seemed natural that we just had ideas and made them come true. But my dad fumed from the word go that it was badly designed and not as good as Man Utd for example who were building new stands with no obstructions. The lack of space was a factor of course. Also rumours abounded that the cost influenced the decision to sell Alan Ball. It was big and grand but it was not in tune with the other stands and inexcusable even then to have view of goal mouth blocked by posts. On the point about whether the huge vocal support under the old stand was also lost I only have the sketchiest memory of noise coming from underneath the stand any way so cannot really say. My recollection was that main vocal support still came from two ends in terms of chants but sides produced that growling thunder which really made us a hostile place to visit.

Exactly right mate. As an 11 year old I was carried away by the newness of it all, we were champions and it all seemed natural that we just had ideas and made them come true. But my dad fumed from the word go that it was badly designed and not as good as Man Utd for example who were building new stands with no obstructions. The lack of space was a factor of course. Also rumours abounded that the cost influenced the decision to sell Alan Ball. It was big and grand but it was not in tune with the other stands and inexcusable even then to have view of goal mouth blocked by posts. On the point about whether the huge vocal support under the old stand was also lost I only have the sketchiest memory of noise coming from underneath the stand any way so cannot really say. My recollection was that main vocal support still came from two ends in terms of chants but sides produced that growling thunder which really made us a hostile place to visit.
I wasn't around in 1970 but surely in a time when gate receipts were the main source of income then cost couldn't have been a massive issue for us . Statistics show that we had an average gate of almost 50k in 1970 (only United had higher), also in the previous decade Everton were the best supported club in England for two of those seasons-62/63 and 63/64,and not forgetting the huge cup crowds we had(many over 65k) in so many cup runs in the 60s, we couldn't have been short of cash back then.
In my opinion it was probably down to our notorious conservative penny pinching board that always held us back from competing in the transfer market with the United's, Liverpool's etc.We never made a one million pound signing untill 1987 (Lineker sale money) when the likes of Wolves, Notts forest and Man City had done it years earlier.

Maybe. Everton history page says it cost £1million which was quite a lot in 1970. Sold Ball for £220,000 Christmas 1971 I think so it cost more than 4 Alan Ball revenues..... As I said I was only a kid at the time and I am just repeating what people around me said at the time.

Fantastic pics of the main stand being built. Just shows what a shame and missed opportunity this was though, the way it was built with all the pillars was poor and on the cheap. Chelsea built their triple decker east stand just a couple of years later and showed how to do it properly.
Bankrupt Chelsea that stand
But,yes it's a good one ,and still looks good

When the new stand was completed, I was not a fan. I was a more reasonable minded twenty five year old, but nothing stopped me swapping my usual ' Road ' spec for the Lower Gwladys, where I have resided ever since, mainly due to the lack of atmosphere being generated.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back