Old Everton Pictures

.....the report says Liddell played in the game along with the likes of John Charles, Billy Bingham and Dave Hickson.
Christ,I'd have loved to have seen that,as an aside I heard a team of barefoot Nigerians played at South Liverpool around that era too!!Not sure whether my Grandad was having me on,but he reckoned they did,mad if true!!

Christ,I'd have loved to have seen that,as an aside I heard a team of barefoot Nigerians played at South Liverpool around that era too!!Not sure whether my Grandad was having me on,but he reckoned they did,mad if true!!

True story - the Nigerian national team played there in 1949 in their bare feet. It was the first game in England to be played under proper floodlights.

I say proper because there was a game at Sheffield United played in 1878 (actually on this day 14 October)

Last edited:

evertton+8788.jpg

Is that Hibbo on the right there? Stealing a leaving since the 80s.

True story - the Nigerian national team played there in 1949 in their bare feet. It was the first game in England to be played under proper floodlights.

I say proper because there was a game at Sheffield United played in 1878 (actually on this day 14 October)
My grandad reckoned they played a team of celebs and ex pro's including Dixie Dean,again not sure as to whether thats correct!!

...wow, that's a fantastic piece of trivia I never knew. Looks a bit like John Charles in that pic. Only played there once myself but at least its one thing I have in common with Puskas - what a player he was.
Was Puskas manager of Panathanaikos when we played them? The hatchet job he got his player to do on jimmy Husband tarnished his reputation in my eyes if it was him.

Blimey what a debut. GUTTED or what! Joe Royle missed 6!! They got out of the half once. Grrrrrr. Dodgy stuff in Greece too. Never mind, our day will come.
I believe so mate,I was only five,all I can recall is the floodlights and the green of the pitch,and the size of the place,and falling in love with the majesty of Goodison Park,Dave Johnson got the equaliser with the last kick.:D

I believe so mate,I was only five,all I can recall is the floodlights and the green of the pitch,and the size of the place,and falling in love with the majesty of Goodison Park,Dave Johnson got the equaliser with the last kick.:D
Yep a massive disappointment, such a contrast to the moenchengladbach game in the earlier round. Amazing excitement.

I can recall a team called Bangu playing at GP and I think they went barefooted. Or were they from Brazil?

The Official web site gives the date of the game Vs the bare foot Nigerians as 1949.

But as I went to the game and I doubt that there were 2 games under floodlights Vs a Nigerian Select team playing in bare feet in those days.
As I remember, It was around Nov.1954 and was the first Flood lit game in the City.
The place was packed to the rafters, the attendance was about 13,000, ( not much to do in Garston in those days ) which if you ever went to Holly Park was a lot.
I also went to the Puskas Game, He was always on the chunky side and by then he was well over weight, and indeed did just stroll around.
I remember he scored a Pen Vs a decent Keeper. He passed it just inside the post with only a little bit of pace.