Old Everton Pictures

think this was number 5 against Chelsea in 78 Big Bobs 2nd. My hero absolutely loved him, still do. Had a piece of Goodison turf in our shed for ages
football-29th-april-1978-goodison-park-everton-everton-v-chelsea-bob-picture-id78959599
Nice to see the stand post playing another important part of the game lol

I was at the Blackburn home game when we lost 4-2. I was also there for Pickering's hat-trick in his first game, v. Nottingham Forest. Won 6-1. Pickering was awesome, but that injury a few weeks before the Cup Final - he was never the same again...

Me too.
The B'burn manager gave Harry a bit of a tactical seeing to in that game
Shades of the modern pressing game. All action, chasing, tackling (not quite to Leeds standard) hitting us on the break etc. etc. All orchestrated by the veteran 'Pirlo-esque' Bryan Douglas as the deepish No. 10.

(Edit; Bolton came and did the same a few weeks earlier)

For the home game next season this prompted Harry to stick Dennis Stevens on Douglas to man mark him...Famously(?) portrayed in the Monday night's Echo cartoon (back when it was still a proper paper)

Imagine asking today's temperamental divas of today playing in these conditions.
Six inches of snow, freezing cold, and slide tackles. Short sleeves, and, NO sodding gloves.
A real man's game back then.
Right, where's me Sanatogen?
I was at that game Catt hitch hiked there left Friday night and got home the Sunday afternoon,spent the rest of the wèek in bed trying to get warm

I was at that game Catt hitch hiked there left Friday night and got home the Sunday afternoon,spent the rest of the wèek in bed trying to get warm
You're a braver man than I am, jaycee. I got a lift in a nice warm car there and back, and a Bovril at half time.
I've got a bit of a cheek calling today's footballers names when I was all wrapped up, haven't I.

Believe me, Bremner was in far less danger of being seriously hurt if he had been snottered by the fan, than he ever would have been had Moggsy had a go at him.
Moggsy, wow, the very first winger to genuinely terrify full backs. Both with trickery AND physicality.

...Everton were Leeds major rivals in those days and rumour has it that Morrisey was the first name in big Jack Charltons 'little black book'. I remember Charlton chasing him once at Goodison.

...Everton were Leeds major rivals in those days and rumour has it that Morrisey was the first name in big Jack Charltons 'little black book'. I remember Charlton chasing him once at Goodison.
I also read an article by Jack Charlton many years ago after he had retired, and he wrote about the return game at Elland Road when Moggsy went straight through him. I cannot quote it verbatim, but it went along the lines of, in the words of Charlton;
'I was moving out with the ball, when, CRASH, the whole world sent me face down in the mud. I looked up, and standing above me was Johnny Morrissey. He looked down at me and glared and said, "Right, put that down in your little f......g black book". Then he calmly walked over to the referee to receive a booking'.
This is apparently genuine.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back