Old Everton Pictures

with us in an away strip and City in the AC Milan gear it'll be in a different ground too...Semi at Villa? the one where we settled for a draw with 10-15mins to go and paid the price. I was gutted.
I got crushed in tyhe holt end held up on the coach on the M^ got there at 3 -15 pm the blues fans had kicked the wooden doors down so intead of us hunting for our correct gate to go in being late we piled in to the open gate big mistake it was right at the back thousands were in without tickets fans fainting people being sick with the crush - we tried to get a place it was like hitting a wall of bodies awful game HK was never fit awful game we got to the coach will the reg number and we heard a massive roar My older brother asked a coach driver who had his radio on who had scored just ended the nightmare of a day swore blind I would never go to another semi final, and I stood by my word it was scary the crush !
I had stood on the kop in a full house and survived but that overcrowding could have been ala hillsborough it was horrific .
my older brother stoon on a plinth right at the back I just sat there bemused he still had the original tickets in his pockets!

upload_2016-10-11_14-28-52.webp

I got crushed in tyhe holt end held up on the coach on the M^ got there at 3 -15 pm the blues fans had kicked the wooden doors down so intead of us hunting for our correct gate to go in being late we piled in to the open gate big mistake it was right at the back thousands were in without tickets fans fainting people being sick with the crush - we tried to get a place it was like hitting a wall of bodies awful game HK was never fit awful game we got to the coach will the reg number and we heard a massive roar My older brother asked a coach driver who had his radio on who had scored just ended the nightmare of a day swore blind I would never go to another semi final, and I stood by my word it was scary the crush !
I had stood on the kop in a full house and survived but that overcrowding could have been ala hillsborough it was horrific .
my older brother stoon on a plinth right at the back I just sat there bemused he still had the original tickets in his pockets!
Took about 10 hours to get home too. Stuck on M6 behind city supporters coach with Tommy Booth's name stuck on back window. Cried most of way home. Terrible day. Had worse semi final defeats than that though!!!!,

I reckon that might have been the toughest to take. That was our best team for decades, better than the 62-63
team and yet City beat us. The West Ham and LFC defeats were against relatively poorer EFC teams.
In the defeat aginst City we had Ball, Harvey, Kendall in midfield and Royle and Morrissey up-front but they had Bell,
Lee and Summerbee, tough opposition.

I always felt that they had the edge against us in the air and tbh it was no surprise to me that they won with a header from a corner.

That defeat, and the West Brom final plus the poor showing in Europe makes me at least re-consider just how good/great that the team was in retrospect.

I reckon that might have been the toughest to take. That was our best team for decades, better than the 62-63
team and yet City beat us. The West Ham and LFC defeats were against relatively poorer EFC teams.
In the defeat aginst City we had Ball, Harvey, Kendall in midfield and Royle and Morrissey up-front but they had Bell,

I always felt that they had the edge against us in the air and tbh it was no surprise to me that they won with a header from a corner.

That defeat, and the West Brom final plus the poor showing in Europe makes me at least re-consider just how good/great that team was in retrospect.

Roy mate, nobody's saying you have to look back with blue tinted hind sight 24/7; but have a little word with yourself willya...We won the Title by 9pts. @ 2pts for a win, a near record points haul effectively with 3 or 4 games left to go.(much like 84-85)

That team is up there dead level with the 80's team. Football was more open back then that's all, it was easier mentally to have an 'off day'...I mean it's Everton innit, it's in our DNA.

As I said in my post earlier, I was at the game and both sides sort of cancelled each other out, but the EFC body language in the last 10-15 changed... It said settle for a draw and beat them in the replay...you could then see the game change from 'stalemate' to City having realised they had the initiative. And in those cases once you have mentally, then physically 'gone on the back foot' it's very hard to get out from under...I admit that that would not happen with the 84-85 team.

If it was a horse race you couldn't split them with a photo finish.
I usually explain my choice this way -

1st= 84-85
1st= 69-70 photo

3rd 62-63; by a short head
4th 86-87; by a neck

But I give it - just - to 84-85 because they hated to lose that little bit more.

In snooker terms (rather than first past the post) over say 41 frames it would be 21-20
69-70 would score more 147 clearances
but 84-85 would win the close frames, the 57-53, the 'by one ball' or a snooker type frames...they just hated losing

That defeat, and the West Brom final plus the poor showing in Europe makes me at least re-consider just how good/great that the team was in retrospect.
Yes it can seem like you point out stats wise, but boy that brand of football the holy trinity led by Ball a three man midfield was incredible to watch never ever seen a team of class like that in that brand of football it will stick in my mind for a lifetime yet the 1980,s team were great more workmanlike maybe different eras the pitches in the holy trinity days were mudbaths too, and opposition wise I feel stronger IMO;)
Fans rave about Stones now not fit to lace John Hurst boots IMO!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back