Old Everton Pictures

Yes wearing braceslol great picture;)
TBF his hair was receding when he joined us what a left back he was well ahead of his time as an overlapping left back ;)
A funeral director now ill with Alzheimer's with a few other poor souls in the England squad Styles, Peters?

When they talk of LBs like now in the Baines thread. Ray Wilson was way out there as one of the best ever.

Sad news about him. He auctioned his WC medal.

Passed away 20th December 2012. A darn good midfielder. Also when he came, I believe played in every game for two seasons.

Dennis Stevens 2724125.webp

Roy mate, nobody's saying you have to look back with blue tinted hind sight 24/7; but have a little word with yourself willya...We won the Title by 9pts. @ 2pts for a win, a near record points haul effectively with 3 or 4 games left to go.(much like 84-85)

That team is up there dead level with the 80's team. Football was more open back then that's all, it was easier mentally to have an 'off day'...I mean it's Everton innit, it's in our DNA.

As I said in my post earlier, I was at the game and both sides sort of cancelled each other out, but the EFC body language in the last 10-15 changed... It said settle for a draw and beat them in the replay...you could then see the game change from 'stalemate' to City having realised they had the initiative. And in those cases once you have mentally, then physically 'gone on the back foot' it's very hard to get out from under...I admit that that would not happen with the 84-85 team.

If it was a horse race you couldn't split them with a photo finish.
I usually explain my choice this way -

1st= 84-85
1st= 69-70 photo

3rd 62-63; by a short head
4th 86-87; by a neck

But I give it - just - to 84-85 because they hated to lose that little bit more.

In snooker terms (rather than first past the post) over say 41 frames it would be 21-20
69-70 would score more 147 clearances
but 84-85 would win the close frames, the 57-53, the 'by one ball' or a snooker type frames...they just hated losing

The question was whether the City Semi-final defeat was the hardest to stomach. Your reply is interesting but not relevant.

The question was whether the City Semi-final defeat was the hardest to stomach. Your reply is interesting but not relevant.

As that hard to stomach defeat ( I actually think the 71 defeat was harder given the opponents and the years in the wilderness it led to. Where as the City defeat while a blow, led to better things, albeit short lived better things ) the W Brom final and 'failure' in Europe

'made me question just how good / great that team was in retrospect'

Seems pretty relevant to me.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back