Old Everton Pictures

apprentices-catterick-bellefield.jpg

Only catch a glimpse of the crowd but I was there and it was mayhem

There is a better clip of it in existence, in which the camera is the one on the underside of the Bullens roof, whereas the one shown here is taken from the camera ledge between the paddock and the Upper Bullens. The higher positioning captures the Gwladys St reaction better.

The younger generation really can't appreciate what the atmosphere in the Street End once was. Sometimes uncomfortable: often memorable.

I am personally in form favour of brining about safe standing in the PL to bring some of that atmosphere back.

They also need to lower the cost of attending as a lot of the atmosphere was from lads in their 20's. The average age of the crowd now is mid 40's.

Remember that Southhampton game like it was yesterday....

49000 in Goodison on a Tuesday night, St End packed .....when you walked in there was a wall of backs and no room anywhere... Ended up behind the goal and what a game to follow

I have been an Evertonian since the late 60's and I think that and the Bayern game are the best for atmosphere by miles.

Those were the days !!!

I always thought that the arc was introduced because of crowd trouble and objects being thrown, but it was introduced for the 1966 World Cup as the crowd had to be a minimum distance from the goal.
Not true. We already had metal structures that kept the crowd away from behind the goals, and they were erected because of our penchant for throwing things at opposing defences.

Not true. We already had metal structures that kept the crowd away from behind the goals, and they were erected because of our penchant for throwing things at opposing defences.
heard a tale once from my old fella that one time in the sixties we played spurs and the goal area was filled with cockerels headslol

heard a tale once from my old fella that one time in the sixties we played spurs and the goal area was filled with cockerels headslol

......don't recall that but not surprising. The toilet rolls were the obvious ones that have now disappeared. Somebody on here posted a vid of Everton V Man Utd around 1970 and as the players are walking off at Half-Time a toilet roll comes from the crowd behind he Goodison Rd dug ou and nearly hits Alan Ball. None of the players bats an eye, how things change in a short period of time.

Remember the bananas thrown at Ian St John (before John Barnes), think he was playing for Coventry, and the reds running on to give Gordon West a handbag. Gordon laughed and put it in the net with his cap.

......don't recall that but not surprising. The toilet rolls were the obvious ones that have now disappeared. Somebody on here posted a vid of Everton V Man Utd around 1970 and as the players are walking off at Half-Time a toilet roll comes from the crowd behind he Goodison Rd dug ou and nearly hits Alan Ball. None of the players bats an eye, how things change in a short period of time.

Remember the bananas thrown at Ian St John (before John Barnes), think he was playing for Coventry, and the reds running on to give Gordon West a handbag. Gordon laughed and put it in the net with his cap.
I vaguely remember I must have only been around six or seven so forgive me if my minds playing tricks,St John at Goodison with Coventry I think,anyhow some fella runs on the pitch and does a monkey/ape jumping up and down movement in front of the Saint which didn't amuse him,christ if that happened now the PC brigade would have a canary fit!!:)

I vaguely remember I must have only been around six or seven so forgive me if my minds playing tricks,St John at Goodison with Coventry I think,anyhow some fella runs on the pitch and does a monkey/ape jumping up and down movement in front of the Saint which didn't amuse him,christ if that happened now the PC brigade would have a canary fit!!:)

....absolutely, Dario. The same with the Gordon West situation, not PC at all.

Really? Well the news source I was reading was wrong. I always thought it was for throwing stuff. I was relieved to read it was because of FIFA, but now back to throwing stuff. :(

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back