Old Everton Pictures

I wasn't born until 1969. I have however watched many videos and a ton of footage from this era, and marveled at the Ball/Harvey/Kendall midfield. Can someone please tell me how in gods name Howard didn't get capped by his country?

southern bias, by the manager and by the press and the London based selection committee
I mean 'budgie' Byrne of palace and whu got caps galore
google the England teams of the 50's and 60's and see how many southerners and (no surprise) United players there are, then look at who was winning all the cups and titles

Dec1st1962.jpg

I reckon 'The Shelf' was probably 1 of the last of those huge terraces down 1 side of a ground (Kippax too), I remember when I saw it in 85/86 heaving & thinking how big it appeared, it was the tv camera side so unless you went there it was hard to know it existed, away end was awful though as was cage in & the bit behind the goal stepped back (disabled section I think) obscuring the view, and if you stood further back there was a copper in the middle on a raised bit blocking you, got pelted with all kinds of loose change from seats behind as well.
heath_lineker.jpg

erm - Southerners picked the team not Robson??
No but he was a future great England manager - someone like him with a bit of football knowledge they would all have been in - let's face years later Reid, Stephen, and Stephens were left out for the crab Wilkens and Robson who were past their best - only to get injured otherwise in the 1986 world cup finals we would have not got passed the group stages!

Last edited:

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back