Old Everton Pictures

Always wondered where the cushion stories came from ;)

They were the epitome of the pre-digital 'thumbs down' / 'neg rep' button. They didn't rain down too often, I mean the performance had to be seriously gash, then the sky would be filled with 1inch thick navy blue cushions flung from the main stand in the frisbee manner.
They were an all too tangible expression of displeasure that the powers that be could not Ignore.
one season they were there for hire, start of the next...they weren't...somebody on the board obviously seen their backside over it.

Before the 1966 cup final walk on the pitch -
BWuSuH-IYAA3EOF.jpg

68 Joe

They were the epitome of the pre-digital 'thumbs down' / 'neg rep' button. They didn't rain down too often, I mean the performance had to be seriously gash, then the sky would be filled with 1inch thick navy blue cushions flung from the main stand in the frisbee manner.
They were an all too tangible expression of displeasure that the powers that be could not Ignore.
one season they were there for hire, start of the next...they weren't...somebody on the board obviously seen their backside over it.
I have a vague recollection of the being a slightly disapproving " you cushion throwers are very naughty boys" type message in the programme at the start of the season. Not 100% though. Best thing was the occasional request from the announcer to stop doing it.....just made people do it more!!! You scallies.... You know who you are !!!

I think this is Dec 66 v Bolton
Everton results says we did not play Bolton in December 1966. Bolton were relegated 1963-64 season.
We did play Fulham though....won 3-2, Temple scored 2.....crowd was just over 31k because the week before Christmas. Terrace looks a bit packed for that??

Last edited:
Everton results says we did not play Bolton in December 1966. Bolton were relegated 1963-64 season.
We did play Fulham though....won 3-2, Temple scored 2.....crowd was just over 31k because the week before Christmas. Terrace looks a bit packed for that??
Sorry, my error. The photo is of Temples second goal of the match v FULHAM (Not Bolton)

I have a vague recollection of the being a slightly disapproving " you cushion throwers are very naughty boys" type message in the programme at the start of the season. Not 100% though. Best thing was the occasional request from the announcer to stop doing it.....just made people do it more!!! You scallies.... You know who you are !!!
Billy Butler on the PA,every time we scored,"Lads,will you gerroff the pitch"(it was you allez mate wasn't it?;)lol)

your joking it was the old codgers in those days us lads stood on the terraces were the real men stood!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back