Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

My dad took me aged 7 during the 1962-63 season, when we won the league. When I walked up the steps to the Gwladys street stands and then saw the rest of the ground and the pitch I was mesmerized. Going to Goodison on a match day with my dad and his mates was the highlight of my week. Playing for school on Saturday morning was good but at the end of the game, it was all systems go to get to the match.

We would get the bus from Netherton to the Black Bull, number 53 I think, about 12 and meet my dad's mates in the Black Bull pub. I would be sat there with some lemo whilst they would be on the ale. About 2 we would get a taxi and head towards Goodison, stopping at another boozer before I would get some Jelly Babies to eat during the game. That became our ritual every Saturday we were at home. And I loved it, couldn't wait. Would ask my dad about the team we were going to play and some of their players and so on.

Away game were different but similar. Pick the coach up at the Marion Square and more often than not at 11 30 - 12 00 the coach would pull in for an ale break. Mostly went to the Burnleys, Blackburn, Manchester the local ones. That season, my first we went to Birmingham away on a Monday night, I think because of the great freeze and fixture congestion. Wonderful times.

I remember bits and bob's of all the games and the travelling, but the memory than stands out from then was the Charity Shield against Manu at the start of the next season. We battered them. But it was the crowd I remember when we started chanting 'we want 5, we want 5'. Absolutely magic. Mind we went to Old Trafford that season and got hammered 5-1 and they were singing 'we want 6, we want 6'. That is just Everton that, the highs and the lows but all the same. Treasured memories.

I have many fond memories about Everton and I am glad my dad took me.It is 10 years since he went to bed and never woke up. But at least he saw us in all our pomp and glory and not so good times. I was only going to mention the chanting but got carried away. 'We want 5, we want 5'.

s-l500.jpg
Never replaced him have we Joey?;)lol

Certainly was for Southampton!!
Yep there were flurries of snow and everything! Thought this was a sign that this might kick start better things that season. Sadly not to be. Ball's last goal, next 4 games were blanks, did not win for 7. Ball transferred about a month later. Painful decline carried on. But the 8-0 was boss!!
Didn't we beat the other lot the following week allez?David Johnson,1-0?

Didn't we beat the other lot the following week allez?David Johnson,1-0?
The week before Dario, one of his many debut goals. I had a closer look in Everton results earlier this morning. There were quite often 7 of the main winning team from 1970 who were selected in the first half of 71-72, then Ball went so mainly 6. Was 4 by the start of next season with Royle having or about to have back problems and Johnson, who I never liked much, who featured in 70-71 (covering for Husband usually) about to be swapped for Rod Belfitt!!! Decline full on and irreversible by spring 1972 really.

The week before Dario, one of his many debut goals. I had a closer look in Everton results earlier this morning. There were quite often 7 of the main winning team from 1970 who were selected in the first half of 71-72, then Ball went so mainly 6. Was 4 by the start of next season with Royle having or about to have back problems and Johnson, who I never liked much, who featured in 70-71 (covering for Husband usually) about to be swapped for Rod Belfitt!!! Decline full on and irreversible by spring 1972 really.
Yeah,I recall now mate, think he scored on his league/FA Cup/European debuts, still a bad move though swapping him for...........Rod Belfitt:rant:lol

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back