Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

Rather atmospheric I reckon.
upload_2017-7-29_11-57-5.webp

It's a lad called Stan Osborne Eggs,he wrote a book called "Making the grade"which I can recommend if you can find a copy about his time as an apprentice I think from 1969-1971:)
Stan Osborne - a blast from the past. I didn't know him, but in 1969 I left school & the job I had allowed 1 day a week release at Childwall College, with Maths, Social Studies & the like and the option to take an old 'O' level. Anyway, Stan and Peter Scott also attended (day release from Everton) always on a Friday. They seemed good lads, but kept to themselves. I remember some staff member coming into a classroom on one Friday and muttering to Peter Scott - he had been drafted in to travel with the 1st team playing at Spurs the next day. I was there as well, but only as a Street End lad going to another away game. Scotty made a few appearances in due course before moving on. I think he was a Kirkby lad, Stan may have come from there as well, but I'm not sure.

Stan Osborne - a blast from the past. I didn't know him, but in 1969 I left school & the job I had allowed 1 day a week release at Childwall College, with Maths, Social Studies & the like and the option to take an old 'O' level. Anyway, Stan and Peter Scott also attended (day release from Everton) always on a Friday. They seemed good lads, but kept to themselves. I remember some staff member coming into a classroom on one Friday and muttering to Peter Scott - he had been drafted in to travel with the 1st team playing at Spurs the next day. I was there as well, but only as a Street End lad going to another away game. Scotty made a few appearances in due course before moving on. I think he was a Kirkby lad, Stan may have come from there as well, but I'm not sure.
Yep mate,stan was a Kirkby boy.

Of all the stadiums that I've seen, in person or on TV that stand is to me the greats stand there is, truly magnificent, an absolute crying shame that that was demolished for the monstrosity we have now
You are spot on of course.
For me it was all about the four floodlight towers.
The first thing you saw as the 544 got to the top of Everton Brow. Absolute monoliths guarding the whole stadium.
As a kid I was living in Rock Ferry and from my bedroom window you could just see them at night time when they were lit for the night games.
I used to gaze at them imagining being there in body not just in spirit.

You are spot on of course.
For me it was all about the four floodlight towers.
The first thing you saw as the 544 got to the top of Everton Brow. Absolute monoliths guarding the whole stadium.
As a kid I was living in Rock Ferry and from my bedroom window you could just see them at night time when they were lit for the night games.
I used to gaze at them imagining being there in body not just in spirit.[/QUOTE
Your right about the pylons tommy, think I've posted on here before about walking up priory road for night games and seeing the lights especially in the autumn when it was a bit misty and a fine drizzle so atmospheric, I know it's highly unlikely but something like that at the new stadium would be magnificent.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back