Old Photos Of Where You Live

South Parkway 'Before' looking from the Woolton Rd end
around 1969 and it wasn't too flash then.
But I can clearly remember a frosty November night in 1954 a full house of (I found out much later) 13,000 squeezed into that tiny ground towatch a bare foot Nigerian Select team play under floodlights.
Also.
Their big FA Cup run to the 2nd round, to host Ron Yeats and Tranmere.
And the Puskas Exhibition Charity game

17026859066076696309679159558324.webp

'After' about 1991
abeaf54b8b41f78071deb6f849fed099.webp

But I can clearly remember a frosty November night in 1954 a full house of (I found out much later) 13,000 squeezed into that tiny ground towatch a bare foot Nigerian Select team play under floodlights.
Also.

View attachment 238630

'After' about 1991
View attachment 238629

….only played there once. I got a letter to say I’d been selected for ‘Liverpool Catholic Schoolboys’, I never even knew there was such a representative team and the irony is I’m not even a Catholic. I took the letter to the Headmaster who said I should play as I was representing the school. I played but never scored as it was a 0-0 draw, I have a medal upstairs somewhere.

….Arden House, Salvation Army Hostel, Arden St, Vauxhall. The foundation stone was laid by Thomas Ismay in 1898 (his son survived the Titanic disaster) and opened in 1900. it could house up to 500 who paid 1 penny per night ‘as long as they were sober’. Imagine a building like that now for the homeless;

IMG_7351.jpeg

Also.

View attachment 238630

'After' about 1991
View attachment 238629
I almost played there, but they went bust -

1969ish saw Pink Floyd totally bomb and walk off the stage after 1 and a half songs...somebody on stage from the group, I forget who, said - "Not working this, is it?" and off they went.

tbf, it was not the right place, it was a Friday night and everybody had come along for 'Sex'...if you got lucky...and 'drugs'...or beer, but mostly 'Rock and Roll' 'heavy' 'All that Friday night dancing round yer handbag stuff'
And they, by then were trailing / perfecting 'Wall' stuff
Was Syd Barrett still with them at that time?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back