Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Rumour Olivier Giroud

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Pickford, Keane, Klaassen and Sandro have upgraded four other positions in the line-up so overall the squad has improved.

Yeah, hopefully so. Always difficult when you lose two of your best players though.

All the new lads really need to hit the ground running. There isn't much time for a bedding in period because they'll be so important to any success we have this season.

I agree about Rooney. At this stage he does not add any value to Everton. Praying we don't sign him.

I also agree that Lukaku is a better finisher; however, Giroud is far and away the much better CF in every other category, and overall.

If we manage to pull in both Sandro & Giroud, and aprox. 50M from the sale of Lukaku I'll be singing "Easy Street" at the pub on opening day with a pint in my hand and a $#I+ eating grin on my face.

Very optimistic. Giroud and Rooney are a real downgrade on what we had in my opinion. I mean, for Rooney to even get games for us he needs to turn around 18 months worth of form that has left so much to be desired.

I actually like Giroud but I don't think he's as good a goalscorer as Lukaku.
Ferguson knew how to get the best from Rooney. LVG and Jose didnt. If Koeman can get the team.set up right and Rooney playing in his suited role, he'll score a fair few.
Same with Giroud. Not given gametime at Arsenal, Wengers team set up and tactics didnt suit Giroud. Just last summer Giroud was playing more games than Lukaku in the Euros. And scoring more goals. Get the team set up right, both will score. Give them chances and theyll finish them.
And more importantly, there is potentially a new attacking dimension that we havent had for a few seasons.

I'm quite warming to the idea of Giroud up front with Ramirez and Rooney playing behind them feeding balls through for them ;)

The lack of energy in that front three is worrying for me
We've pace and trickery to burn in lookman, miralles, bolaise, sandro
We've seen that the enemy of creativity is a slow and ponderous approach
Honestly i'd take giroud or rooney up top partnered with sandro and two pacy wingers in support
But that front three speaks of utter frustration to me

Ferguson knew how to get the best from Rooney. LVG and Jose didnt. If Koeman can get the team.set up right and Rooney playing in his suited role, he'll score a fair few.
Same with Giroud. Not given gametime at Arsenal, Wengers team set up and tactics didnt suit Giroud. Just last summer Giroud was playing more games than Lukaku in the Euros. And scoring more goals. Get the team set up right, both will score. Give them chances and theyll finish them.
And more importantly, there is potentially a new attacking dimension that we havent had for a few seasons.

Rooney's decline is nothing to do with the managers and everything to do with his personal lack of form. Ferguson had seen enough in the final season- he wanted rid.

I can see the reasons to be positive about the new dimension though. It's a real chance for the players we've brought in to make a mark in the league.

I actually like Giroud but I don't think he's as good a goalscorer as Lukaku.

His record says otherwise.

Some people (not you) are acting like we are trying to sign the Gallic John Spencer.

This may be a somewhat controversial opinion here but.... is there really that much difference between Giroud and Lukaku right now at their current stages of their careers?

Giroud has been banging them in when he gets his chance for a better side then ours who dont even play to his strengths for a good few years now. He plays (and delivers) for a top international side.

Lukaku has been a cracking player for us of course but I genuinely can see a case to be made for Giroud being a better option.

Lukaku has been a cracking player for us of course but I genuinely can see a case to be made for Giroud being a better option.

Giroud scores goals and doesn't run his mouth about not getting chances or the team not doing well

He's an upgrade on Lukaku just for his work attitude on & off the pitch

His record says otherwise.

Some people (not you) are acting like we are trying to sign the Gallic John Spencer.

This may be a somewhat controversial opinion here but.... is there really that much difference between Giroud and Lukaku right now at their current stages of their careers?

Giroud has been banging them in when he gets his chance for a better side then ours who dont even play to his strengths for a good few years now. He plays (and delivers) for a top international side.

We can't shy away from the fact that over recent times Arsenal have been a far better team than us and despite last season's mess from them they probably still are.

It's likely that chances won't be as easy to come by when he plays for us. I'm not saying he isn't capable of getting 20+ goals for us next season but it'll be more difficult for him. The good news is that he's bringing a decent all round even if the goals aren't flowing.

We can't shy away from the fact that over recent times Arsenal have been a far better team than us and despite last season's mess from them they probably still are.

It's likely that chances won't be as easy to come by when he plays for us. I'm not saying he isn't capable of getting 20+ goals for us next season but it'll be more difficult for him. The good news is that he's bringing a decent all round even if the goals aren't flowing.

Aye, its also fair to say that he wouldnt be playing for them if he wasnt good.

Lukaku's ceiling is higher of course. I reckon he could get 30-40 goals in the correct circumstances. Giroud will always be good for 15-20 though which is fine.

Didn't Ross create the most chances in the league for rom, if giroud gets them chances he slots for fun

Honestly i'd take giroud or rooney up top partnered with sandro and two pacy wingers in support

I fancy Miralles as a centre forward rather than a winger. Lookman still needs time to mature, can see him getting game time off the bench.
What Giroud offers in terms of aerial threat, ability to hold up play, Miralles could offer the opposite, the pace and directness.

Thinking back to Koemans days at Southampton, Shane Long was a big player for them, and is the same sort of player as Giroud. Giroud fits Koemans vision and style of football.

How about a three of Sandro, one of Giroud or Rooney, one of Lookman, Mirallas or DCL?
I don't see Rooney and Giroud starting every game.

Didn't Ross create the most chances in the league for rom, if giroud gets them chances he slots for fun

Hopefully. But as I said, I still think it'll likely be more difficult for Giroud here than it was at Arsenal. Think about the amount of times he would come on for Arsenal against a team pinned back with Sanchez pulling the strings. It's good circumstances for a centre forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back