Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Oumar Niasse

Status
Not open for further replies.

L20YJEV.jpg

He's seen enough of him in training to know is strengths and where he may fit in.

It wasn't a daft sub at the time, it made sense to replace Lennon with a pacey hard worker (not that that bit worked out) to keep a threat on the counter, offer a lashed outlet ball from defence and to stop their defenders moving ten yards up and squeeze the play.

It coincided with West Ham turning the game around sadly so is a convenient scapegoat.

Our failure to stop crosses was more of a reason for failure although it could be attributed to the tiredness with the man deficit for so long. Or inability to deal with the crosses on the box would be my biggest concern.

Other managers will have noted how piss poor we were at defending them.
That all makes perfect sense, but then the 'he sees them in training' line could be used to quash virtually any criticism ever levelled.

'Howard is commanding his area in training.'

'Hibbert is scoring for fun in training.'

'Gibson is sober in training.'

Their whole team moved a few yards up as soon as Lennon went off, and those crosses mostly came from deep, where ten men are unlikely to able to press.

Whichever way you slice it, a sub which countered that by having two forwards not working particularly hard can't be viewed as anything other than an error of judgement; especially when there were more experienced options available.

Yep still sick to my stomach.
It was a like for like change, I can see the rationale even if in retrospect it looks entirely daft.

Mate, that change made no sense at the time and makes even less sense in hind sight. No one in the stadium wanted that change. It is one of the most inexplicable changes I can remember. If people were tiring two of Lukaku, Lennon and Barkley should have been off for Barry and Niasse/Del.

Mr. Marsh please accept my apologies for believing we would win last Saturday by 5 goals to 1. You were near enough with your score of 1-2,
but you sound so flippant about our team, almost as if you don't care. I think that one of us in on drugs. Having said that, I think that we'll
beat Chelsea on Saturday 6-1.
I couldn't find the thread that we spoke on, so Niasse will have to do.

Haha its ok. And believe me i do care, an awful lot! I love the club and fume when we have a bad result n it ruins my weekend.. I just don't overreact on here like some do!!

I had a feeling we'd get beat that is all.. Im not going to mention my prediction for Chesea but 6-1 to us would be great haha.. Oh and im not on drugs thanks!!

We got a song for Niasse yet? Or is it boooooooo!!!

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/11/everton-oumar-niasse-fighter-fa-cup

Everton’s Oumar Niasse: ‘I am a fighter, someone who always wants the ball’

There is only a hint of frustration from Oumar Niasse when discussing an inauspicious start to his Everton career. “I have to be on the pitch to know exactly what’s going on in the Premier League,” says the Senegal international. “When you don’t start, you never know.” Six weeks after his £13.5m transfer from Lokomotiv Moscow, he and his new employers are still waiting to find out.

Football has often tested Niasse’s patience and the move to Goodison Park has been no exception. The striker’s father, Makhone, refused to allow his youngest son to pursue a professional career until the age of 17 because of the financial burden on the family and concern at the prospects of success. His first chance to impress on the European stage, at the Norwegian side Brann, resulted in misery and a swift return to Senegal.

his dream move to England on 1 February via successful spells in Russia and Turkey the 25-year-old has made three substitute appearances totalling 25 minutes for Roberto Martínez’s team. Work permit issues, a wrist injury and a lack of match fitness after last playing for Lokomotiv in December have contributed to the false start. Last Saturday Niasse was introduced with 14 minutes remaining against West Ham United and with 10-man Everton leading 2-0. The eventual 3-2 defeat brought scathing criticism of the striker, though more was reserved for Martínez’s costly decision to withdraw Aaron Lennon for him and the latest evidence of Everton’s inability to defend an advantage.

With Farhad Moshiri attending his first game on Saturday since the Premier League approved the billionaire’s purchase of a 49.9% stake in Everton, the FA Cup quarter-final against Chelsea offers Niasse, Martínez and co a perfect moment to respond to the doubters.

“I am a fighter,” Niasse says. “Football is not easy and just getting a professional contract means people must respect you because you have something. Even if it’s one quality, you have it. When I feel very good, when I feel ready to play, the fans will see someone who always wants to have the ball, someone who always wants to win, someone who always wants to run. This kind of player is someone who is focused on fighting every time he has the shirt and is on the pitch. I am going to fight.”

The rush to judge Niasse after three cameo displays for Everton is in contrast to his upbringing in Ouakam, where the striker spent most of his adolescence fighting resistance from his father over his chosen profession.

“I don’t want to say I was a bad boy but I was not good. My dad never slapped me but my big brothers always slapped me and told me not to play football. Whenever I had five minutes I would go out and you would not see me for three or four hours because I was 12 years old playing football with guys who were 20. I had a lot of leg injuries, I broke my leg twice and still have a lot of scars, and my dad had to spend a lot of money he couldn’t afford at the hospital. He had a lot of problems with me. After one time in hospital he said: ‘After this, if you start to play football again I will kill you.’ But I never thought I would do anything else in my life than play football.

“I am from a poor family in Senegal. I have five brothers and two sisters and I was the craziest. My dad was a bus driver and didn’t think I could make a life out of football or that it would support us in life. He thought if you wanted a family you had to go to school, learn something and try to get a normal job. It was only when my brother [Baye Ibrahima] went to Nancy Lorraine in 2007 that my dad realised this could be a career for us and started to let me play. In my first year I was selected for the under-18s of the national team. I had played two games in 2009, I was just starting to be a real professional, when my dad passed away. Life became more complicated for me after that.”

Niasse is speaking in fluent English as he attends a training session with Everton in the Community’s Down’s syndrome football team. His wife, Sirra, is from Gambia but has lived in Manchester for almost a decade and the striker travelled regularly to the city during his 18 months with Lokomotiv. He credits his language skills, however, to the response to a problematic spell at Brann, where injuries limited Niasse to three substitute outings in six months.

“Whenever we had English at school I would go off and play football so I never had a good relationship with my English teachers,” he says. “I thought English was not for me but when I went to Norway I was so bad at English I couldn’t speak to anyone. When I went back to Senegal, I realised I needed to learn if I wanted to make it as a footballer so I got out all of my old books from school and started again. Then I met my wife, who speaks Senegalese and English very well, and it became much easier.”

It was Niasse’s form in this season’s Europa League that alerted Martínez to his potential as a forward or a winger. Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester United and Newcastle United also monitored a striker who, despite his quiet introduction at Goodison, was named the Russian Premier League’s player of the year for 2015. And he could have been lining up against Everton on Saturday had Chelsea not dispensed with José Mourinho’s services.

“My manager told me Mourinho was interested,” Niasse says. “He said Mourinho liked the way I play and had been looking at me since I was in Turkey [with Akhisar Belediyespor]. He was very interested in me for this last transfer window but then he was sacked.”

Everton must hope his successor, Guus Hiddink, does not destroy their FA Cup ambition as he did in 2009.

Everton in the Community offers more than 60 programmes covering a range of social issues. Visit evertonfc.com/community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back