Our top ten greatest ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario Terracotta

Player Valuation: £70m
Looking at the Bally thread got me thinking on this,it would be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts,maybe our clever techy mods could turn it into a poll!!very,very difficult to define greatness,lineker a case in point,with us one season,similar to Tommy Lawton who was only with us a couple of seasons!!also I feel our pioneers are often forgotten in these types of discussions,the likes of jack sharp,hardman,makepeace etc,how do you define it?for me four or five are automatic choices,then it becomes terribly difficult to judge one player against maybe five or six others,i'll have a think about mine,god knows when I will settle on a ten and I'll get back to you,a way of passing some lockdown time anyhow!!!

Last edited:
Superb list matey. I'm sure there are 1 or 2 that might give rise to debate but on the whole cant argue with that selection

Looking at the Bally thread got me thinking on this,it would be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts,maybe our clever techy mods could turn it into a poll!!very,very difficult to define greatness,lineker a case in point,with us one season,similar to Tommy Lawton who was only with us a couple of seasons!!also I feel our pioneers are often forgotten in these types of discussions,the likes of jack sharp,hardman,makepeace etc,how do you define it?for me four or five are automatic choices,then it becomes terribly difficult to judge one player against maybe five or six others,i'll have a think about mine,god knows when I will settle on a ten and I'll get back to you,a way of passing some lockdown time anyhow!!!

imagine the sky sports premier league reply to this:

Rooney
Lukaku
Richarlison
Barmby

err. has anyone else played for you?

Dixie Dean
Roy Vernon
Alex Young
Alan Ball
Brian Labone
Howie Kendall
Peter Reid
Neville Southall
Kevin Ratcliffe
Kevin Sheedy

Like so many who stamped their mark in a royal blue jersey. These for me were exceptional. Never saw Dixie Dean play but his record speaks for itself, but saw all the others.

Dixie Dean
T G Jones
Dave Hickson
Roy Vernon
Alex Young
Brian Labone
Alan Ball
Colin Harvey
Howard Kendall
Neville Southall

Admittedly an “older” list than some might appreciate! I never saw the first four play live myself but have heard stories from my Dad about Jones, Hickson and Vernon. Dixie will be on everyone’s list I’d imagine. Then I’ve just gone for true Everton greats that I’ve seen play!
Arguably one or two more from the eighties could have made the list but then I couldn’t “drop” anyone from the Top Ten I’ve listed above!

Dixie Dean
Neville Southall
Brian Labone
Howard Kendall
Joe Royle
Colin Harvey
Alan Ball
Tommy Lawton
Wayne Rooney
John Stones

My one of these would be hopeless as I can’t really remember the 80s or earlier so I don’t have much to choose from.

There’s no way he can make the cut though, he doesn’t even make the conversation.

He was an incredible talent. Squeaks in to the top 10 on that alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.