Our top ten greatest ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's exactly what I am on about mate, the early "pioneers" are often forgotten.
There's quite a few : Alex Latta (Scottish), 70 goals in 148 appearances, played in our first championship win in 1890/1.
Fred Geary had an incredible record, 86 goals in 99 appearances, also played in 1890/1.
Edgar Chadwick, 300 appearances, 111 goals, went on to become the Netherland 's second ever manager.

Last edited:
For me most of this is a history lesson and a matter of discussion but for me we have our undisputed three Giants that sit up the top
1. Dixie Dean greatest scorer the English game has seen. Has many a record out of reach including our greatest ever goal scorer highest goals in a campaign at 60 in 38 games. Deserves to be recognised alongside Don Bradmen as a giant of sport of that Era.

2. Neville Southall ìn my opinion the greatest British keeper ever and our last world class player willed us to wins and even in his decline hugely contributed to our last success club record holder too I believe for appearances.

3. Kendall I'm cheating a bit here using his player/managerial career. Has had a strong hand in approximately half of our total silverware and was an important an part of the holy trinity and securing the services of Big Bob

Next Tier Down I have.

4. Alan Ball Argueably our greatest ever player truly world class at what he did was the crown jewel of a very good everton side haven't being the same since he was sold.

5. Brian Labone mainstay for multiple years Argueably our greatest ever centreback and holds the record for most out field player appearances for us.

6. Joe Royal his contribution to this club as a player and manager and given the fact he was the last everton manager to win silverware puts him at 6 for me

7. Kevin Sheedy the creative fulcrum of the sides in the 80's after Southall he stands out for me as the next best fantastic left foot that tormented many a opponent

8. Alex Young football is about entertainment and this fella had it in spades you don't earn the nickname the golden vision for no reason.

9. Ray Wilson was Baines before Baines was Baines prototype modern full back years before it was in vogue.

10. Sharp Struggled with this one was between Sharp, Reid, Bracewell, Lawton, Rats. Ended up going for the focus point of the 80's

I’m amazed either Ball, Harvey or Kendall isn’t in your 11. It’s all about opinions mate but that midfield 3 was not only worshipped by Everton fans it drew respect of the fans of other clubs and football in general.
Alan and Howard are on the bench and Colin Harvey was well admired and respected by me, Peter Reid and Tony Kay were great players and could play in any team in any era, Bobby Collins is my all time favourite Everton player, that is why he is in the team and he dragged Everton, when he came, from being a very poor team into one that was competing with all the top teams when he was, unfortunately, sold. I understand you wanting Alan, Colin and Howard in your team so put them in your best eleven, let’s see your best team so I can give you my opinion on them. Good luck.

Alan and Howard are on the bench and Colin Harvey was well admired and respected by me, Peter Reid and Tony Kay were great players and could play in any team in any era, Bobby Collins is my all time favourite Everton player, that is why he is in the team and he dragged Everton, when he came, from being a very poor team into one that was competing with all the top teams when he was, unfortunately, sold. I understand you wanting Alan, Colin and Howard in your team so put them in your best eleven, let’s see your best team so I can give you my opinion on them. Good luck.
Southall
Newton Labone TG Jones Wilson
Ball Harvey Mercer Kendall
Dean Lawton
I’d already picked this team. As I said all about opinions. Interesting you mentioned Tony Kay. My dad said he had the potential to be the best midfielder of the lot he was that good, it was a travesty that his career ended when it did.

I read so many and couldn't fault most but still wondered why so many were missing ,it is impossible and for that I am out .Saying that I will read on eagerly .After watching so many years there are too many to choose ,great when with us or great at one time in their career ..Ok , I can give some that mustn't be left out ,Ball ,no doubt the best I have seen regularly in our shirt ,Rooney ,probably the best player ever to wear the shirt except Dean ,Wilson as said was a different class and a far better defender than Leighton ,of course Neville and Lineker as he was just so potent in front of goal. The rest is any 6 from tens of great blues .

Southall
Dean Lawton
I’d already picked this team. As I said all about opinions. Interesting you mentioned Tony Kay. My dad said he had the potential to be the best midfielder of the lot he was that good, it was a travesty that his career ended when it did.
Tony Kay was great , yet another occasion we have suffered when it was nothing to do with us .

In my match going life time Bob Latchford, Martin Dobson, Kevin Sheedy, Dave Thomas, Neville Southall, Peter Reid, Mick Lyons, Kevin Campbell, Gary Speed, Tim Cahill.

To be honest, that's just a list of my 10 favourite players...

Southall
Dean Lawton
Yes I noticed your team after I posted, just got a chance now to reply, six of those you picked are in my team or on the bench, the eleven are all good players, pity we can’t go back in a time machine and watch them all again!!As you say it’s all about opinions, by the way your dad knew what he was talking about, re Tony Kay, what a loss he was to football and especially Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.