Patrick Viera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope the lad in Crewe hospital makes a full recovery mate! I worked in Croydon (BT on Wellesley Road) for years and have lots of old mates from that time who were mad palace fans (most of whom had an (in my mind) irrational hatred of Brighton if I remember rightly? But all good lads nevertheless and accomplished lager drinkers too!
I worked in Wellesley Road from 78-81in the office blocks above the Whitgift Centre, opposite Apollo House & Lunar House. ;)

Been travelling over to Everton matches since 1980. I have picked up a lot of the Scouse dialect - I think if i lived there for a week I would be fluent!

As it is, I have lived in Kilkenny since 1990, and have still got my original Dublin accent, untainted by any local Kilkenny-isms! :cool:
My dad is from Dun Laoghaire, so I am very familiar with the Dubs accent :)

My dad is from Dun Laoghaire, so I am very familiar with the Dubs accent :)

I was born in Dun Laoghaire , but was raised near Deansgrange. Over our back wall was the Cemetery!! A great playground for us kids.

I loved walking the East Pier with my late parents and our dog - one thing I miss in Kilkenny - the nearest seaside is about 45 miles away.

I am biased, but the proper southside accent that I grew up with is lovely. Unfortunately we now have this horrible pseudo "DART/DORT" accent which grates on my ears. It is spoken by kids from Killiney through to Sandymount, and by country people after their first week at college in UCD or Trinity...."loike...you kneow.." :mad:

You will be aware of the rivalry between the northside and the southside - I can't stand some of the northside accents, although some areas are fine.

Give my regards to your Dad and tell him you were in contact with another man from the Borough!!

I was born in Dun Laoghaire , but was raised near Deansgrange. Over our back wall was the Cemetery!! A great playground for us kids.

I loved walking the East Pier with my late parents and our dog - one thing I miss in Kilkenny - the nearest seaside is about 45 miles away.

I am biased, but the proper southside accent that I grew up with is lovely. Unfortunately we now have this horrible pseudo "DART/DORT" accent which grates on my ears. It is spoken by kids from Killiney through to Sandymount, and by country people after their first week at college in UCD or Trinity...."loike...you kneow.." :mad:

You will be aware of the rivalry between the northside and the southside - I can't stand some of the northside accents, although some areas are fine.

Give my regards to your Dad and tell him you were in contact with another man from the Borough!!
Will do, my da was born on York Road, we were over there with him only recently.

Will do, my da was born on York Road, we were over there with him only recently.
I was born in the Tivoli Nursing Home which was just off York Road! I think possibly on Tivoli Terrace. Back then Nursing Homes were for expectant mothers, not like today where they exclusively care for the elderly.

My parents lived in Cornelscourt at that time, where Dad had a newsagent, and sold everything from a needle to - well not quite an anchor - shop. I remember the heavy smell of the old upright paraffin heater.

He even opened for a half day on Christmas Day in case anyone needed emergency provisions.

Back on topic, I am glad that both PV and the scally have agreed not to pursue the matter. Nothing to be gained for either side. Whatever the scally said, I really hope he didn't stoop to racist remarks. No place for that in EFC.

worked in that BT office off and on for a bit too. Based in South London for a good few year sin my younger days. Always liked the Palace fans and never really saw them as a 'London' team.
My niece, and niece on my wife's side, both married Eagles fans (different men of course before any bad minds kick in) and became adopted fans of Palace because of it. Plenty good guys, with plenty good friends led to plenty good times with them all. Good memories, and still pretty pally to this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.