Pele at Goodison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saw all the group games at Goodison that summer , Ferenc Bene, Coluna and Tores were another 3 great players at Goodison in the group stages. Jesus I've seen some great players at Goodison over the years.
Never got to any of those games, but was left speechless seeing the Brazil v Hungary match on TV.
Florian Albert gave a masterclass of the art of a centre forward and Ferenc Bene on the wing ripped them apart.

I had a programme from that match Brazil v Portugal with , allegedly, Pele’s and Eusebio’s autographs on the centre page team sheet. I swapped it for a pair of football boots which were too small for me. At the time I saved programmes and autographs, I never did find out if they were genuine autographs, but I was happy enough. It disappeared years later when I moved away from home.

I was at one of the group games, I think Brazil Bulgaria although I don’t have strong recollections of it.
I was also at the Portugal North Korea QF. That was brilliant!!!
French guy I befriended many years later was at GP for West Germany Russia. He went to loads of matches in that tournament but raved about Goodison!

Status
Not open for further replies.