Perspective

Who are the better fans?

• Match going

Votes: 36 50.7%
  • Watch on TV

Votes: 35 49.3%

• Total voters
Just seen this post on here and made me think. Are opinions and perception different on here between those local who go the games and perhaps those who follow Everton from afar?

I guess it must affect how you view the game what you see and what influences you.
I live in Ireland and cannot therefore get to as many games as I would like.
Although a loss for Everton ruins a weekend for me I don't honestly think it is as difficult for me as it is for those who live in the City and have to cope with successful neighbours as well as watching the complete mismanagement of our club.

I have been supporting Everton for over 50 years now( it is only when I put it like that I realise what age I am) and I think Everton is so wrapped up in me that it would be impossible to disentangle myself from it, I have often wished I could.

I now tend to tape some games and watch them afterwards as I find it too stressful to watch live games, I find when you are at the ground and can watch the full game unfold in front of you the stress levels are not as high... at least that is how I find it works for me.

For so long we have been treading water as a club, calling ourselves big but acting small in almost every way.
What we are going through at the moment on and off the pitch is more than difficult , my hope is that we needed a trauma such as these to get us out of the sleep walking phase we have been in for decades.

The new stadium is the first sign of real sensible ambition in a long time.

You could make a graph or chart. On the Y axis "Non match going" at the bottom, "Match going at the top". On the X axis "wool" on the left, "scouse" on the right.

The best Blues would be plotted on the top right, with the worst being on the bottom left

I used to be a season ticket holder but it got me more riled up than it should.

Now I watch us on the telly, and if things go poorly I just throw the remote at the tv, punch holes through the wall, and shout obscenities that the kids have learnt to ignore.

It's all part of growing older and learning healthy anger management techniques. You've got to cut out the toxicity.

Fans who go to games don't know better but I think the quoted post has a point that you get a lot more frustrated if you go to the game than if you don't. I go to a lot of games but not every single one and there is a big difference in how I react depending on if I was there or not when I'm at home I can shrug it off and go straight into doing something else I might even turn the TV over if its really bad but when you've gone to the game its a different thing. I don't like it when people say they wouldn't do the things that fans do at the game for that reason you don't know until you've done it.

Just seen this post on here and made me think. Are opinions and perception different on here between those local who go the games and perhaps those who follow Everton from afar?

I guess it must affect how you view the game what you see and what influences you.
My response is thus:-
I get to about 50% of games at home the rest I'll follow on radio as I won't subscribe to Sky Sports or BT.
If I'm not at the game I'm at the mercy of how the game is reported and as we all know its doom and gloom from the commentators. That in turn colours my mind and just feel if it's a lost cause and I become very negative.
If I'm at GP that same game I would probably see things in a more positive light. Actually being there you're all caught up with the fans and their opinions and of course the atmosphere itself. I've come away from the ground almost every game of late and it's my last, but inevitably I'm getting out of the car a fortnight later full of renewed optimism.

….yep, its a complicated mix of being ridiculously passionate about the game from a very young age, the influence of your family and the intensity of rivalry with the other side of the park. It just means so much, perhaps it means too much.
I'll attempt to combat that. I wrote a (rather meandering) blog article about 'The Fever' of growing up as a long distance Evertonian in the South Wales Valleys, link below...

Meandering look at long distance fandom

….bit of a struggle last night, Matey. I’d been thinking for weeks that I feared Palace would win that match given its very unusual to beat a team 3 times in a season. Actually thought a draw was fair, Palace had a degree of control but the Toffees kept pushing and had enough opportunities.
I was quietly pleased with our performance and particularly pleased with the two new guys; Wharton and Munoz. Not a match of high quality and honours even was a fair outcome.

I was quietly pleased with our performance and particularly pleased with the two new guys; Wharton and Munoz. Not a match of high quality and honours even was a fair outcome.
I was very impressed with Wharton to be honest. Unfortunately in my book he deserved MOTM so haven't voted in our match day thread. Munoz 1st half was stand out also going forward. Once they both settle you'll have some astute signings for sure.

I'll attempt to combat that. I wrote a (rather meandering) blog article about 'The Fever' of growing up as a long distance Evertonian in the South Wales Valleys, link below...

Meandering look at long distance fandom

….enjoyed that.

I would never undermine any supporters passion for Everton, the difference in a city like Liverpool is it’s virtually always in your face. In the pub, in work, in school, talking to strangers, local media, people you like, people you don’t like; they’re all immersed in Everton and Liverpool, it’s difficult to find refuge.