Peter Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
He left Martyn waiting in the reception area of his factory which is why Martyn and his agent got off.

Utterly bonkers. Martyn was coming from Leeds...

"Yes, Nige, what you need to do is drive past Bellefield and Goodison, carry on to the tunnel, cross over to Birkenhead and locate our hamper factory. Don't worry though, there's a nice comfy waiting room. Be sure to notify the receptionist upon your arrival."

🤷‍♂️

Seem to remember him interviewing Nigel Martyn at his factory which didn't impress him so he went to Leeds and we missed out on his best years (although he was still great we he came years later)
Thought the story was it was a little chef on some motorway. Or am I getting wildly mixed up again?

That's right except it was his deputy Clifford Finch who interviewed him as PJ was away in London and too busy to meet Martyn.
That is the correct version of what happened, it was common knowledge at the time. I would add that Peter Johnson bought Everton with his own money but realised he couldn’t take us any further, he was losing money running Everton and sold out to a man who had no money of his own but used others to buy the club and put us were we are today.

Utterly bonkers. Martyn was coming from Leeds...

"Yes, Nige, what you need to do is drive past Bellefield and Goodison, carry on to the tunnel, cross over to Birkenhead and locate our hamper factory. Don't worry though, there's a nice comfy waiting room. Be sure to notify the receptionist upon your arrival."

🤷‍♂️
yeah and you'll have to park up the road because the cleaners are parked in the visitors car park slots.

He still delivered us a trophy though mate.🤷‍♂️
But did that have anything to do with him? I'm not a fan of using random cup successes as evidence of a good manager, chairman, owner, squad etc. Benitez is a typical example of this, won a cup in his first season in the most jammy and fluke way possible, then live of it, rely on a moment of brilliance to get you to penalties against West Ham. We would of won the FA cup in 2016, if Lukaku hadn't pissed about with the pen and we should of took other chances. Like when Rogers nearly won the league hadn't nothing to do him and everything to do with Suarez.

But did that have anything to do with him? I'm not a fan of using random cup successes as evidence of a good manager, chairman, owner, squad etc. Benitez is a typical example of this, won a cup in his first season in the most jammy and fluke way possible, then live of it, rely on a moment of brilliance to get you to penalties against West Ham. We would of won the FA cup in 2016, if Lukaku hadn't pissed about with the pen and we should of took other chances. Like when Rogers nearly won the league hadn't nothing to do him and everything to do with Suarez.
That FA Cup win in 1995 was thoroughly deserved mate. We beat the best club in the land to win it as well.

I think that FA Cup win reflected well on everyone, players, manager and chairman alike. It was Peter Johnson who appointed Joe Royle as manager after all.

I stand by my opinion that he was doing a good job, up until the moment his business started to have financial problems. As for Benitez he would have won nothing at the rs if it wasn't for slippy g imo.

He still delivered us a trophy though mate.🤷‍♂️

Joe Royle delivered that trophy.

He got this club out of the abyss and back into europe somehow after the disaster of 1994.

He should've been that decade's Moyes but wasn't backed and walked and then things went wrong very quickly again.

FA cup win was no vindication at all for boardroom competency at the time, quite the opposite.

People say the no money thing because of his business failing....Walter Smith got a very decent fund in 1998. Was there a cash injection from somewhere at the time as the players that signed that summer didn't come in for peanuts. They were all on high wages for the time and then Bakayoko came in a few months later for 4.5m which again was a good outlay in 1998 for a premier league club.

He should've backed Royle way more. Was very frustrating Kanchelskis going and the form tailed off as soon as 1997 started so that was all very regrettable and certainly set the club back a few years.

Joe Royle delivered that trophy.

He got this club out of the abyss and back into europe somehow after the disaster of 1994.

He should've been that decade's Moyes but wasn't backed and walked and then things went wrong very quickly again.

FA cup win was no vindication at all for boardroom competency at the time, quite the opposite.
As i said earlier Johnson was doing a good job until he started to run out of cash.

He did more good for this club in his five year tenure as chairman, than anything that Kenwright did in his almost quarter of a century reign as chairman of this club.

Vindication or not mate a trophy did arrive at Goodison while Peter Johnson was our chairman. Johnson wasn't chairman when we avoided relegation in 1994 as well.

People say the no money thing because of his business failing....Walter Smith got a very decent fund in 1998. Was there a cash injection from somewhere at the time as the players that signed that summer didn't come in for peanuts. They were all on high wages for the time and then Bakayoko came in a few months later for 4.5m which again was a good outlay in 1998 for a premier league club.

He should've backed Royle way more. Was very frustrating Kanchelskis going and the form tailed off as soon as 1997 started so that was all very regrettable and certainly set the club back a few years.
I think those players were bought with money we didn't actually have. He didn't do have as much damage to this club as Kenwright did imo.

Kenwright was the biggest disaster to ever happen to this club along with the Heysel tragedy and John Houlding increasing the rent.

Status
Not open for further replies.