Phil Jagielka

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant why does left play on the left side and stones on the right. Both are right footed and stones is a lot more comfortable on ball. I wouldve thought he'd play on the more unconfortable side
Jags has quite a lot of experience playing on the left for England, Cahill is a player you very rarely see as the left CB, whereas Stones is still learning his trade. Probably best he masters it in his favoured postion before shifting him around.

Unless there is a huge gulf in capability, which don't think there is in this case, imo the older player should always be the one who draws the short straw of playing out of position.

I feel he'll get ignored tonight, but Jags was excellent today - did nothing wrong whatsoever.

Stones was good too but looked lost when Sterling was put in, so marginally worse, but both did very well. Defence never looked worried at any stage and didn't feel we were going to concede unless someone decided to run Oviedo, who was laughably bad at defending.

Well in Jags. Still doubt his leadership qualities but that was a good shift under pressure today.

I feel he'll get ignored tonight, but Jags was excellent today - did nothing wrong whatsoever.

Stones was good too but looked lost when Sterling was put in, so marginally worse, but both did very well. Defence never looked worried at any stage and didn't feel we were going to concede unless someone decided to run Oviedo, who was laughably bad at defending.

Well in Jags. Still doubt his leadership qualities but that was a good shift under pressure today.
Made one superb block and loved the little run he did up field. Looks so much happier since Stones has come back.

Stones coming back was the best thing to happen to Jags, he no longer looks nervy or is all over the shop.

He mustn't have had any faith in Distin, so he was trying to do way to much and had no confidence in his partner.

With Stones back Jags now commits to tackles, holds his position and knows that his partner has his back.

I know you probably all think I have a crush on Jags from the sheer amount of times I defend him, but yesterday for me proved again that he is a very, very good player.

There was a little moment in the first half where he had a heavy touch which ballooned the ball into the air. Earlier in the season when he was sapped of confidence he would have panicked and probably conceded possession. Yesterday, right back in form, he confidently nodded the ball to a team mate without a hint of panic.

Small detail I know but he's starting to show the form that makes him, for me, one of the best defenders (I know there are more technically gifted centre-halves) in the league.

Well in Jags lad

Jags has quite a lot of experience playing on the left for England, Cahill is a player you very rarely see as the left CB, whereas Stones is still learning his trade. Probably best he masters it in his favoured postion before shifting him around.

Unless there is a huge gulf in capability, which don't think there is in this case, imo the older player should always be the one who draws the short straw of playing out of position.

....another factor could be the opponent. It might suit to match the CB with a specific forward in which case that might dictate what position they end up in.

....another factor could be the opponent. It might suit to match the CB with a specific forward in which case that might dictate what position they end up in.
True although that might also be done by just using a different player rather than switching the position.

Tbh not a big fan of switching the defensive players around much - CBs or fullbacks playing on different sides, CBs playing fullbacks or vise versa - for anything other than injury cover. The positioning can be so important to the performance and think it is easier when it is second nature due to repeatedly playing in the same slot, hopefully with a familiar player to the side as well so you also know what they are likely to do.

very good. Again.

He and stones are in top form right now.

Anyone who doesn't think you can have a good game at centre half and concede two, see the thread titled "Tim Howard"

These quotes from Jags today in the echo slipped under the radar. "It is frustration for the fans and it is frustrating for the players, but the main thing is we don’t do things on the pitch that we don’t work on in training because the chances of them coming off are little to none.”

I find that quote very telling indeed.

These quotes from Jags today in the echo slipped under the radar. "It is frustration for the fans and it is frustrating for the players, but the main thing is we don’t do things on the pitch that we don’t work on in training because the chances of them coming off are little to none.”

I find that quote very telling indeed.

Makes one wonder then what they do not practice on the training ground, could it be corner kicks, throw ins, free kicks, passing forwards, avoiding offside, striking practice, Goalkeeping- how to d/w crosses.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back