Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Was Matt Law the guy convinced that Barkley was going to Spurs, Lukaku was going to Chelsea and Carlo was going to manage Arsenal? Not saying he's wrong but he's notoriously biased towards London clubs.
You would assume if we've bid we've done so with encouragement from Hojbjerg's people. You don't bid for players now without knowing they're keen. I keep saying this stinks of Saints and the player trying to force Spurs hand.

Good post and a lot of that may be true.
Thing is, now that every player has an agent, this is the way for any team to
“Talk to any player.”
None of us know what goes on with these often shady/cloak and dagger deals, but Spurs/any team could say to a players agent,
“Southampton want £20 million but if you hold out and we end up saving £5 million on the transfer fee, there is an extra million in it for you when you sign.”

All of that is true. I am a bit conflicted on Hojberg as 2 contradictory things seem quite likely to me.

1) Southampton arepushing this to try and get Spurs to bid (not many of the big hitters close to Everton are reporting this).
2) It is very rare for a PL team to bid for a player now, without having first sketched out a deal and a broad agreement with the player (as you mention with the agent).

There's lots of cavaets in that too. One may be that he is happy to go to Everton, but hopes if he gets into talks he hopes Spurs will act.

I don't see Spurs bidding that big for the player, and personally feel Levy would want to straight swap with Peters the right back. He's not quite the level of priority that we currently have.

You will see this quite a lot this window. Come September I think you'll be seeing almost panic from selling clubs trying to shove players out the door, potentially on loans just to recoup wages, for often players youd be quite surprised about as well.

I don't believe Everton will go beyond this 2nd offer. There may not even be a 2nd offer (we saw a lot of this with Zaha and it turned out itn was all untrue, and we bid only once). Invariably Brands has the price he's willing to pay, and just sticks to it, and once the price is agreed he then tries to knock more off in terms of the payment structure. Time will favour the buyers.

As for fthe dynamic with Hojberg, he seems to prefer Spurs to Everton, which to be honest I completely understand. It's been a tough season for Spurs, but you will be in Europe next season and have just been in a CL final, and in all honesty are an established European team, where we are not. I do think there are some medium term challenges with Spurs and think you could be teetering a little what with Covid 19, but how much notice footballers pay to that I'm not sure.

The question really is, how much ahead of Everton does he rank Spurs? Levy could quite easily let him sit it out and wait. To what extent does he want to risk a year at Southampton, not playing much, when he is at right back, probably depreicating his value to suitors new? The Hendrikx example is good, but he played quite regularly, whereas Hojberg may not.

If he prefers Spurs but ultimately is happy with the package Everton offer then he may end up caving in and making the move to us. If not, he will stick it out, we will drop out and Spurs/Southampton have a tough negotiation.
All of that is true. I am a bit conflicted on Hojberg as 2 contradictory things seem quite likely to me.

1) Southampton arepushing this to try and get Spurs to bid (not many of the big hitters close to Everton are reporting this).
2) It is very rare for a PL team to bid for a player now, without having first sketched out a deal and a broad agreement with the player (as you mention with the agent).

There's lots of cavaets in that too. One may be that he is happy to go to Everton, but hopes if he gets into talks he hopes Spurs will act.

I don't see Spurs bidding that big for the player, and personally feel Levy would want to straight swap with Peters the right back. He's not quite the level of priority that we currently have.

My guess is that we have at least 3 others were already negotiating with clubs on, having spoken with agents.

I think its unrealistic that weve only got this iron in the fire. I also cant believe weve not already confirmed terms with his agent.

It would make no sense for us to be bidding without a green light from his agent.

We went for Mina after getting usurped for Lenglet by Barca themselves.

Also it appears as though Brands has the afterburners on this window.

Spurs had furloughed staff at first, are paying off a Billion pound stadium that they can't currently fill or hire out to major concerts or more importantly the NFL and have just taken out a crisis loan. I can't imagine they'll be looking to spend any money if they can help it. That's not to say they won't advise the player to do a Berkley and sit tight till January when they can get him for a seriously knocked down price.
It'll come down to the player and what he's happy to do. If his desire to leave Saints is bigger than his desire to play for Spurs then i think we'll sign him. If he's got his heart set on signing for them i can see him staying on the south coast till the end of the year.

Literally looked at both stories from the Echo and down South and compiled what they both said into his own article encompassing it all.

He said we may even withdraw our offer, which I hope we do, no point fannying around whilst Spurs try to count their change to buy him.

I agree that Spurs are probably pretty skint but should a club happily pay what the seller asks or does it not make sense for any team to “Count their change” as you put it and try to pay as little as possible for a player?

I agree that Spurs are probably pretty skint but should a club happily pay what the seller asks or does it not make sense for any team to “Count their change” as you put it and try to pay as little as possible for a player?

There's a balance to be struck. We've been far too reckless with our spending. But Spurs have got the balance wrong too with failing to back Pochetinno properly when his team were at their strongest.

People hold up the Spurs model as the template of how to find success but the reality is they didn't win anything and ended up losing a great manager,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back