Player contract expiry dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to this time in 2 years. COVID will hopefully have disappeared and most of our rubbish will be off the books. Bring it on.

Just a thread to show when contracts elapse.

The reason why Ive been saying that we have to sell 15/16 players is because in 2021 8 contracts expire and 2022 11 contracts expire. Almost all of these players wont be extended and so its better to move them on now for a transfer or loan to generate some fees and save wages.

8 Expiring 2021
Walcott
Bolasie
Sandro
Besic
Pennington
Virginia
Connolly
Bowler

11 Expiring 2022
Keane
Sigurdsson
Bernard
Tosun
Delph
Coleman
Kenny
Lossl
Branthwaite
Bamingime
Gibson

5 Expiring 2023
Digne
Mina
Davies
Gordon
Nkounkou

6 Expiring 2024
Richarlison
Pickford
Iwobi
Kean
Gbamin
Gomes

2 Expiring 2025
Calvert-Lewin
Holgate

Brands has stated that his ideal squad size is 23 players. It will be much changed by 2022.

@MarcelsGoat

Just on the players wages you showed in the richarlison thread.

We could lose 8 players in 2021 and only Walcott would need replacing + hes on £100k+ a week. So the other 7 players wages are freed up.

In 2022 theres 10 expiring (branthwaite has extended) for even higher amounts of money. Only a few will need replacing/extending.

Massive potential for a rebuild over the next 2 years.

@MarcelsGoat

We could lose 8 players in 2021 and only Walcott would need replacing + hes on £100k+ a week. So the other 7 players wages are freed up.

In 2022 theres 10 expiring (branthwaite has extended) for even higher amounts of money. Only a few will need replacing/extending.

If we lost 19 players over the next 3 years we would need to replace at least 10 of them.

Now granted some big earners will be going, but also a few not so big, I suspect all in all it will even itself out a little, especially if as we hope we progress and we have European football. I know theres a desire within the club to lower the wage bill, but I think in reality it wont work. What it will do is provide us with space on the wage bill to add players that will hopefully contribute rather than jokers who dont.

@MarcelsGoat

Great list.

What strikes me immediately is that in the next two graduating classes there is just one or two players I might keep.

The wealth destruction has been significant. A sullen, unloved workforce is not a good basis for any enterprise and this is a whole new challenge for a manager who is used to working with elite outfits not a mid-level club with no trophies in a generation. I watched the Spurs friendly yesterday and maybe two of our players could get in that team.

To gauge the extent of the wealth destruction take a look at this one:

If we lost 19 players over the next 3 years we would need to replace at least 10 of them.

Now granted some big earners will be going, but also a few not so big, I suspect all in all it will even itself out a little, especially if as we hope we progress and we have European football. I know theres a desire within the club to lower the wage bill, but I think in reality it wont work. What it will do is provide us with space on the wage bill to add players that will hopefully contribute rather than jokers who dont.

I think youre discounting the wages which have come off this summer which amount to £250-300k a week already.

So they would need to be removed from your chart at say £275k a week for the median. Thats over £14mil a year.

We have 14 players whose contracts expire in 2023 or beyond which means we would need to bring in 9 players (or extend/promote) to fill the squad of 23 for 22/23 season.

So, at this time we have £275k a week wages + 18 players contracts expiring in the next 2 years and need to add 9 more to the first team squad.

I think that we'll be saving a huge amount of wages.

I think youre discounting the wages which have come off this summer which amount to £250-300k a week already.

So they would need to be removed from your chart at say £275k a week for the median. Thats over £14mil a year.

We have 14 players whose contracts expire in 2023 or beyond which means we would need to bring in 9 players (or extend/promote) to fill the squad of 23 for 22/23 season.

So, at this time we have £275k a week wages + 18 players contracts expiring in the next 2 years and need to add 9 more to the first team squad.

I think that we'll be saving a huge amount of wages.

We are at dangerous levels, so I would imagine we will certainly keep our wage bill under control, but not many clubs really manage to lower their wage bills year on year sadly. Unless they get relegated.

Once you factor in wage increases with new contracts and buying players it all adds up.

The squad is and has been bloated for years now, we certainly have some fat to cut.

Lets see how it all pans out, I long for the day I can name a 25 player first-team squad in my thread.

Great list.

What strikes me immediately is that in the next two graduating classes there is just one or two players I might keep.

The wealth destruction has been significant. A sullen, unloved workforce is not a good basis for any enterprise and this is a whole new challenge for a manager who is used to working with elite outfits not a mid-level club with no trophies in a generation. I watched the Spurs friendly yesterday and maybe two of our players could get in that team.

To gauge the extent of the wealth destruction take a look at this one:

The interesting thing is that as things stand, this is what we have on contracts post 2022:

GK: Pickford
RB
CB: Holgate / Mina
CB: Branthwaite
LB: Digne / Nkounkou
RM
CM: Gomes
CM: Gbamin / Davies
LM: Iwobi / Gordon
CF Richarlison / Kean
CF: DCL

On paper it doesnt look too bad numbers wise.

GK × 2
RB × 2
CB
RM × 2
CM
CF

So, 9 players to come in this summer + 21 and 22.

On the face of it in terms of contracts its ideal for us with 18 going out (not including the players gone this summer already).

So it should free up quite a hefty chunk from the wage bill.

We are at dangerous levels, so I would imagine we will certainly keep our wage bill under control, but not many clubs really manage to lower their wage bills year on year sadly. Unless they get relegated.

Once you factor in wage increases with new contracts and buying players it all adds up.

The squad is and has been bloated for years now, we certainly have some fat to cut.

Lets see how it all pans out, I long for the day I can name a 25 player first-team squad in my thread.

I think it will be quite easy for us to have 23 players in 2022.

What would significantly help us is not extending contracts of players around the squad on bloated wages and moving them on.

Updated:

8 Expiring 2021
Walcott
Bolasie
Sandro
Besic
Pennington
Virginia
Connolly
Bowler

9 Expiring 2022
Sigurdsson
Bernard
Tosun
Delph
Coleman
Kenny
Lossl
Bamingime
Gibson

5 Expiring 2023
Digne
Mina
Davies
Branthwaite
Nkounkou

6 Expiring 2024
Richarlison
Pickford
Iwobi
Kean
Gbamin
Gomes

4 Expiring 2025
Calvert-Lewin
Holgate
Gordon
Keane

Updated:

8 Expiring 2021
Walcott
Bolasie
Sandro
Besic
Pennington
Virginia
Connolly
Bowler

9 Expiring 2022
Sigurdsson
Bernard
Tosun
Delph
Coleman
Kenny
Lossl
Bamingime
Gibson

5 Expiring 2023
Digne
Mina
Davies
Branthwaite
Nkounkou

6 Expiring 2024
Richarlison
Pickford
Iwobi
Kean
Gbamin
Gomes

4 Expiring 2025
Calvert-Lewin
Holgate
Gordon
Keane

Saving about £300k p/w at the end of next season without missing out on anything, except about 3 goals a year from Walcott. Bet Brand can’t wait.

....personally, I’ve quite liked Walcott. I’m not saying i wouldn’t welcome an improvement, but we usually look better balanced when he plays and he does get himself into goalscoring positions. Saying that, his injury record alone should mean the club encourage offers for him.
I would have no issue whatsoever with Walcott, if, having got into those goal scoring positions, he actually had a crack at goal? More often then not he bottles it and looks for someone else to give it to!

UPDATED

8 Expiring 2021

Walcott
Bolasie
Sandro
Besic
Pennington
Virginia
Connolly
Bowler

9 Expiring 2022
James
Sigurdsson
Bernard
Tosun
Delph
Coleman
Kenny
Lossl
Bamingime
Gibson

5 Expiring 2023
Digne
Mina
Davies
Branthwaite
Nkounkou
Allan
Doucoure

6 Expiring 2024
Richarlison
Pickford
Iwobi
Kean
Gbamin
Gomes

4 Expiring 2025
Calvert-Lewin
Holgate
Gordon
Keane

I don't think we necessarily want or need to lower the wage bill, all the clubs that finish at the top of the table regularly have bigger wage bills than us. I think the clubs strategy will be to maintain or even slightly increase the wage bill each year but reduce the wages to income ratio buy increasing income at a faster rate via improved commercial deals, sponsorship's, stadium revenue, playing in Europe etc. I think we're restricted to increasing the wage bill by 7% per year? weirdly one positive to come from the Walsh/Koeman spending spree was that they did this, they grew the wage bill by the maximum allowed, now its down to Brands and Carlo to allocate that budget to players that will contribute to the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back