Players Out on Loan 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is going on with Onyango? He's been an unused sub the majority of Burtons matches, no?
I just don’t think he’s very good. Not saying he can’t improve over time but in terms of his current ability I’m not surprised he’s struggling. People consistently go way overboard about how good young players are and claim they should be playing for the first team at 17 only for them to fade into lower league obscurity. This thread suggests many of the current crop will go the same way. That doesn’t mean they’re all crap either, making it at the top level is very very difficult.

I just don’t think he’s very good. Not saying he can’t improve over time but in terms of his current ability I’m not surprised he’s struggling. People consistently go way overboard about how good young players are and claim they should be playing for the first team at 17 only for them to fade into lower league obscurity. This thread suggests many of the current crop will go the same way. That doesn’t mean they’re all crap either, making it at the top level is very very difficult.
Seems like he's in the Rodwell category of being well ahead of his peers physically but not having much other than that imo

Andre Gomes at Lille (Ligue 1, France) played the full match in his side’s 2-1 home win over Toulouse.

Joao Virginia at SC Cambuur (Eredivisie, Netherlands) played the full match in his side’s 5-1 away defeat to RKC Waalwijk; SC Cambuur had two players sent off (8th minute & 45+1 minute), one goal was a penalty and one was an OG. It was actually 1-1 until the 77th minute when the OG went in.

Dele Alli at Besiktas (Süper Lig, Turkey) was not in the matchday squad for his side’s 2-2 away draw to Istanbulspor.

Andre Gomes at Lille (Ligue 1, France) played the full match in his side’s 2-1 home win over Toulouse.

Joao Virginia at SC Cambuur (Eredivisie, Netherlands) played the full match in his side’s 5-1 away defeat to RKC Waalwijk; SC Cambuur had two players sent off (8th minute & 45+1 minute), one goal was a penalty and one was an OG. It was actually 1-1 until the 77th minute when the OG went in.

Dele Alli at Besiktas (Süper Lig, Turkey) was not in the matchday squad for his side’s 2-2 away draw to Istanbulspor.
What's going on with Dele?

It's also true when people talk about sending them on loan as a solution, often to the championship.

In most cases teams (particularly those in the championship) would have no interest in players who are teenagers for us.

If we are being very generous, you may say these lads could improve to be better than that level, but they probably need 30-40 games to do so. The problem is, for those sides theres very little upside taking that risk. They get all the pains of developing a player, with none of the benefit that comes.

As for Onyango, hes started a couple and then been left out of a few. That's where I expected it to be. Hes huge, which gives him a chance, but needs to learn a lot of basics. As indicated above though, the guys that level wont carry people, as they are going to be more dependent on win bonuses etc.

There seems to be this assumption that lower league football is a training school for academies, the truth couldnt be further. They're not going to have some teenager messing up their opportunity to earn money.

I’ve never ever thought he was that. He’s tall but weak as piss. Never saw him dominate anyone at U23 level at the time.

Hes nowhere near Rodwell level to be honest. Rodwell was a very good footballer, a great athlete, was sold for huge money to City and had international caps. If Onyango has a career close to Rodwell we will have done well.

….the reality of loans involving Everton youngsters is being seen & much as I have been suggesting. Pinching a line off @catcherintherye, sending youngsters on loan ‘is not a solution’. It’s not a La La Land where youngsters go & come back ready for PL action.

The reality is most will struggle for game time. I’m not against the loan system per se but for our Academy youngsters it’s more often than not the end of their chances at Everton.

….the reality of loans involving Everton youngsters is being seen & much as I have been suggesting. Pinching a line off @catcherintherye, sending youngsters on loan ‘is not a solution’. It’s not a La La Land where youngsters go & come back ready for PL action.

The reality is most will struggle for game time. I’m not against the loan system per se but for our Academy youngsters it’s more often than not the end of their chances at Everton.
Agreed, however good players will always come through regardless and for those that don't quite make it, it serves as a shopwindow

I agree with all the above and the comments of @catcherintherye . Unfortunately, though, U23 football is totally inadequate for preparing youngsters for the rigours of 'men's football', whether that's PL or the lower divisions. Only the outstandingly talented can make the leap from youth to PL football, and they are few and far between.

I don't think the people at Everton are daft enough to send a youngster out on loan thinking that it's going to be easy for them and, no matter how they play, they are going to be in the team every week. They are surely looking for clubs playing at a level where they think the players will be challenged but have a chance of succeeding. They got that spot on with Warrington at Tranmere, and hopefully at Fleetwood this year.

As for Onyango, as I've said before I'm not surprised he's lost his place at Burton. His challenge is to adapt to a tough competitive league rather than gliding through U23 games, showing occasional glimpses of ability then disappearing for the rest of the game. I'm sure the coaches who sent him out on loan knew that, just as most of us who've watched him at junior levels would.

It's not the end of the world for a player if they have a bad loan. There are many examples of that, the most notable for us being Gordon at Preston. Players can still learn from that experience - some will, some won't. Others will find their level at a lower league, but the odd one will still have a chance of making it with us.

By the way, I've been following the progress of Thierry Small, now on loan at Port Vale. Not going too well, only started one game when he was substituted after 70 mins, made a few sub appearances but hasn't been in the squad for the last few games (don't know if he's injured).

Status
Not open for further replies.