Players who’ve stood up

Status
Not open for further replies.
As others have said Iwobi stands out because he was so poor beforehand but they've all played a part in putting us in that position in the first place and then thankfully they got their acts together at the end as well.

Mykolenko isn't championship standard according to someone who met Duncan on a train and a few in here who made their minds up so quickly, so he surely has stepped up :coffee:

Overall I think a few of them now know what we as a fan base expect from our players and the first half of the season was absolutely unacceptable on any level. I never want to complain after a match that they didn't put the effort in because they've laid a marker of minimum down now.

Pickford. Yeah i know its is job and all that. But we'd be on around 35 points still without keeping us alive in the chelsea and leicester games.

Richarlison. Sets the tone. Frustrates some but without him we're far less at it in games.

Iwobi(cant believe im saying this)
Lampard factor or whatever he's come in and looked solid and most of all ran hard on the pitch for 90 minutes. Im not sure he actualy played many 90 mins, certainly not under ancelotti.

Mykolenko. Left back was a problem. Given whats going on at home for him he's really improved.

Delph. Never really commented on him in any of the threads about him. He's a good player but no point commenting on him as he'll disapear by the time you've finished typing. Few games he came in he made an impact because he is good at what he does. He's just made of glass.

Thats my main players who i think have really helped in this but im not getting carried away as lets face it its rating who's been better in a relegation fight. Hardly what you want.

There may be a terminalogical confusion here between - 'stood up' and 'doing the job they are very well paid for in a steady workman like, effective, manner as befits a professional footballer.'

Iwobi for me. By a mile in terms of surprise.

He does seem a very simple chap. He tells the story of when he realised that the crowd will accept misplaced passes if you are giving everything. Bit weird it took him so long for this light bulb moment considering it’s made such a massive difference. Bless him. Thought captain fantastic was supposed to be amazing at educating new players on this stuff. Wobes must have switched off the 3rd time he said “to be fair”.

Holgate has been good, which he had to be as there was no alternative. He would get a lot more love if he didn’t strut around with his gum and elbows out from his sides trying to look wider. Perfectly competent player when not being crap.

The rest, as said above just did their job really.

Iwobi for me. By a mile in terms of surprise.

He does seem a very simple chap. He tells the story of when he realised that the crowd will accept misplaced passes if you are giving everything. Bit weird it took him so long for this light bulb moment considering it’s made such a massive difference. Bless him. Thought captain fantastic was supposed to be amazing at educating new players on this stuff. Wobes must have switched off the 3rd time he said “to be fair”.

Holgate has been good, which he had to be as there was no alternative. He would get a lot more love if he didn’t strut around with his gum and elbows out from his sides trying to look wider. Perfectly competent player when not being crap.

The rest, as said above just did their job really.
Keep up!! Holgate ditched the gum in March last year.

I wouldn't argue against that to be fair.

However, I'm more concerned how a just turned twenty-one year old, who isn't the finished article and we shouldn't be relying upon, is being built up.
Tbh it's not his fault we're turbocrap and had injuries to everyone at one point - he was thrown in and showed to be good (and durable!) enough so that he basically cemented his own spot.

In reality I think he'd benefit from being a 2nd string - it's how he came in to begin with IIRC.

Think people are building him up too much and it might lead to some very sour takes later on though, even if I do hope I'm wrong.

Pickford
Richarlison
Gordon
Iwobi

I'd give a mention to Holgate. Not as a particular star of this period but he was a mainstay of the team and was better than all our other CBs.

And a mention to Mykolenko.

I'd have to give a mention to DCL purely for "that" goal. That's stepping up when you need it most. Football is made in moments and that one will live on in perpetuity whether he stays or goes. He has written himself into Everton folklore.

Status
Not open for further replies.