Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Playing Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anything politics, and sport don't mix in fact at present top footballers gain hampsonly on tax breaks from the current government politics in sport should be personal if a footballer wants to nail his thoughts to the mast than thats freedom of speech -end of!

114579.jpg
PA-2128933.jpg
margaret-thatcher-pm-with-graeme-souness-glasgow-rangers-football-EP2FHJ.jpg

Argggggggggggh I meant to put the middle one in as '... and here's an example of where politics gives a true impression of its subject' nooooooooo

I notice Pique and Guardiola have come right out and stuck it to the Spanish Government over the Catalan election.

Millionaires many times over, so I dont think earning vast sums disqualifies players from having an opinion.

Exactly - and these are individuals with far more to lose than your Baines and Williams of this world.

Tell us what you think lads. Build that rapport.

Disagree with that entirely. His shortcomings as a footballer were often mitigated in fan's opinion by his good deeds. And regardless, you've just shown what I meant; he is memorable for something other than kicking a little ball about.

Stubbs and Weir? You've got this vague recollection that they defended stoutly. Simon Davies? Yeah, he was bad wasn't he, stayed for a bit, left, not heard about him since, oh well, onto the next blank in the memory.

..Sol Campbell has drifted into politics, it’s just another aspect of his career. Mick Channon might now be better known as a racehorse trainer, Michael Owen as a racehorse owner. From a football perspective, footballers will be largely remembered for their ability as footballers.

For what it's worth, I think a lot of pro footballers don't give a flying one about politics, as they're not affected in anyway by whichever party is in power and what happens outside of the bubble they live in.

They seem insulated from the rest of society, in their smoked glass Range Rovers and Bentleys, living in gated mansions, bristling with security. Everything is done for them and the real world is merely a distraction for the majority of them.

I'm not blaming them by the way, it's just the way it is.

I fully support this initiative to bring personality back to football.
This bit I agree with.

A lot of the time that's totally lost due to sterile media training.

"Yeah we had a decent spell but then other team were decent as well, it's early doors in the season and to be fair that's expected when you come here and try and get a result. But credit to the lads, they all got stuck in and we came away with a fair result."

Could've been taken from a thousand players after a thousand matches.

I think the players who do actually have an Interest in politics vent it in some way anyway, ie twitter.
If more people were pressed on their political opinin It would be just something else for the media to jump on, they have agenda's with many players anyway.

I'd imagine most professional footballers don't vote or have even the slightest interest in politics, so I doubt we're missing out on any particularly interesting insight from them.
That's an interesting take on it. I suspect, given their gigantic salaries, that the vast majority of them do vote... and I bet they mostly vote Tory.

Part of me is morbidly intrigued to know how this forum would react if Rooney, Davies, Lookman and Jags all started tweeting their support for the government... but the backlash from the fans would be biblical,and I imagine that is why the club, as the employer of these players, very carefully controls what the players say and do publicly. the club doesn't want the negative response.

This bit I agree with.

A lot of the time that's totally lost due to sterile media training.

"Yeah we had a decent spell but then other team were decent as well, it's early doors in the season and to be fair that's expected when you come here and try and get a result. But credit to the lads, they all got stuck in and we came away with a fair result."

Could've been taken from a thousand players after a thousand matches.

The lower down the leagues you go the more personality you get from players in the media. I suspect lots of pro footballers are particularly bland on purpose. What superstars say on any given day is likely to be broadcast worldwide and they can't risk offending anyone or potentially upsetting their own sponsors.

The lower down the leagues you go the more personality you get from players in the media. I suspect lots of pro footballers are particularly bland on purpose. What superstars say on any given day is likely to be broadcast worldwide and they can't risk offending anyone or potentially upsetting their own sponsors.
Oh that's absolutely the case, and poorer for it.

Wouldn't make no difference to me. They are individuals in a team.

My wife voted remain, I voted Brexit, I still love her, but then again I'm always right.

Reactions: JLW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back