Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Playing Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robbie Fowler once famously lifted his shirt (stop sniggering at the back :mad:) after he scored a goal to show a T shirt supporting striking dockers.

That's an interesting take on it. I suspect, given their gigantic salaries, that the vast majority of them do vote... and I bet they mostly vote Tory.

Part of me is morbidly intrigued to know how this forum would react if Rooney, Davies, Lookman and Jags all started tweeting their support for the government... but the backlash from the fans would be biblical,and I imagine that is why the club, as the employer of these players, very carefully controls what the players say and do publicly. the club doesn't want the negative response.

I'd be amazed if this was true - especially as it makes very little difference to them who is in power in the grand scheme of things.

You can't blame them for it but it's a little disappointing. I'd like to think if I was a pro footballer I'd like to have a personality in the media. He wasn't anything special on the pitch but everyone loves Jimmy Bullard.
One thing I used to like about Gordon Strachan was his post match interviews.

I'm not advocating him for the managers job by the way lol

He was a crap footballer too- even Messi on a fortune is a tax dodger in trouble with his tax affairs a while back in Spain - Wayne Rooney has allergy been accused of offshore accounts - does it bother fans - NO they turn up to support their team - that's why politics will never be considered in sport the fans turn an automatic blind eye to a players political views!

That's an interesting take on it. I suspect, given their gigantic salaries, that the vast majority of them do vote... and I bet they mostly vote Tory.

Part of me is morbidly intrigued to know how this forum would react if Rooney, Davies, Lookman and Jags all started tweeting their support for the government... but the backlash from the fans would be biblical,and I imagine that is why the club, as the employer of these players, very carefully controls what the players say and do publicly. the club doesn't want the negative response.

You think Wayne would get more stick from the fans for voting Tory than he did for drunk driving the other week?

(he would from me, like, but I am just interested in where the moral compass is pointing on GOT :blush:)

He was a crap footballer too- even Messi on a fortune is a tax dodger in trouble with his tax affairs a while back in Spain - Wayne Rooney has allergy been accused of offshore accounts - does it bother fans - NO they turn up to support their team - that's why politics will never be considered in sport the fans turn an automatic blind eye to a players political views!

All the super rich have accountants and such to manage their money Joey.

I'd be surprised if any Premier League footballer doesn't use an offshore accounts or similar tax dodges.

I'm not saying I agree with it in any way at all , but you can't blame them for doing what their financial team tell them to do.

Let's face it, if it was up to Rooney, he'd draw it all out in one go and put it in his sock draw lol

I'd be surprised if any Premier League footballer doesn't use an offshore accounts or similar tax dodges.

I'm not saying I agree with it in any way at all , but you can't blame them for doing what their financial team tell them to do.

Let's face it, if it was up to Rooney, he'd draw it all out in one go and put it in his sock draw lol
My point is they gain advantage under the present government tax laws as you say you can't blame them my point is leave politics out of sport!

I'd wager he doesn't have as many odd socks as me.

Do I want to listen to athletes air their political views when most of them know next to nothing about politics? Absolutely not. I watch sports as an escape from the real world. Athletes are well within their rights to voice their stupidity. I'd rather they keep their views out of entertainment.

My point is they gain advantage under the present government tax laws as you say you can't blame them my point is leave politics out of sport!

No government ever punishes the super rich Joey.

Despite them promising otherwise, they always bottle it.

Anyway back to politics and sport :

How about the uber snake that is Seb Coe.

* you'd never get tired of smacking that pointy sneering grid of his

Last edited:
No government ever punishes the super rich Joey.

Despite them promising otherwise, they always bottle it.

Anyway back to politics and sport :

How about the uber snake that is Seb Coe.

* you'd never get tired of smacking that pointy sneering grid of his
If a sportsman gains from a huge tax break then they will not refuse it champagne solialism it applies to,any other show business too!
Seb Coe look how he has used his politics to get rich!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back