Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Playing Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the politics. Most of them are Tories and in some cases, outright fascists (this isn't a Godwin, just look at Di Canio). And on the other side, Kevin Campbell's boner for George Galloway is one of the few things I dislike about him.

In fairness, I should point out that one of my favourite non-Everton players of all time, Matt Le Tissier, is pretty obviously a massive Tory and I still follow him on Twitter. He makes me roll my eyes sometimes, but he's pretty funny. A footballer would have to be far right and/or anti-Semitic for me to really hate him on political grounds. The only footballers I follow who share my views are Lineker and Carragher, I think. I would say Campbell but we're never going to agree on Galloway. And plenty of left-wing footballers can be obnoxious twonks as well.

Incidentally, Roberto Martinez also supports Catalan independence, he just doesn't go on about it as much as Guardiola.

..Sol Campbell has drifted into politics, it’s just another aspect of his career. Mick Channon might now be better known as a racehorse trainer, Michael Owen as a racehorse owner. From a football perspective, footballers will be largely remembered for their ability as footballers.

Now that's a great example.

Already Campbell is known as a duplicitous swine, back when there were very few rumours about or leaks, his move from Spurs to Arsenal on a free was genuinely a shock.

But here's a man, born in the Borough of Newham (two Labour MPs), who played for two North London clubs (in strongly Labour territory) .... now retired and doing his utmost to get on the Tory ticket.

Would fans have treated him differently? Would they have been interested at the time in his political leanings? Did either club ever really have a strong affinity with him? Who knows.

I think the main point here as raised by @Boss_Blue is that we aren't really interested in their politics, but their personality. Political leanings are only a manifestation of that.

No, It wouldn't matter one jot to me, I want my keeper to save shots, my CF to score goals, and my manager to have some sort of 'kin clue.

For instance; De Canio was a total political nutbar by many peoples lights, that's his personal choice, but he did the right thing Re that Injury...and that counts for something.
Deeds not words...when you go in the voting booth it's your choice where you put your mark...nowt to do with me.
Doing the biz on the field, now that does concern me.
not compatible.

One glaring mistake in you post , we don’t have a CF.
However I agree with the rest of your post.
Most ( not all but most ) can’t string 2 sentences together and most have a low level of education having abandoned their schooling early to concentrate on football
In America most sports stars come through the college system so they have been exposed to an education , wether they availed of it is an entirely different matter

James McClean expressing his political preferences didn’t go down so well.

Another example I had in the back of my mind when writing the first post. However, it did give you a bit of insight and showed at least one individual wasn't just popping the shirt on and going along with it.

Since professional footballers are likely to have media professionals training them for "standard" interviews I would guess that most of the players have contracts regulating what they can express in public as long as they are employed by the club? I guess they don`t state directly that you can not express political views but vague phrases like"actions that may be harmful for the club"? It certainly do in my contract where I work. And knowing how media operates the slightest wrong wording would have you set up for a few days of negative exposure,reflecting both you and the badly. But of course they should be able to express whatever they want of political views. Basic human right.

Good post mate I enjoyed reading that.

For some reason I completely forgot Bolasie plays for you! He's been out for ages, huge boost when he returns. Think he has to be one of the most exciting players to watch as a neutral (Excluding the big guns like Messi, Neymar etc). So unpredictable, can go either way and has pace to burn.

Hopefully he can form an understanding with the likes of Rooney, Sigurdsson (Can't be bothered to Google it, sorry if I've spelt it wrong) and you'll start playing like you can and smashing teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back